Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted: a credible EV lifecycle cost study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
I'm looking for something to help me defend EVs against the people who come up to me and say things like, "My brother did some research and he says that the carbon cost of building EV battery packs is so high you'll never make it up in use."

A search of the forums didn't yield what I need; anybody have links to appropriate references? I'm looking for the truth, if it exists.

I'm looking for something to help me defend EVs against the people who come up to me and say things like, "My brother did some research and he says that the carbon cost of building EV battery packs is so high you'll never make it up in use."

A search of the forums didn't yield what I need; anybody have links to appropriate references? I'm looking for the truth, if it exists.

Search my threads from mid December. I'll see if I can find it.

However, my advice is; though that might be useful in a group to convince the others. My experience is that converting a single EV basher is a waste of energy. They simply aren't ready to hear the truth. Not that you asked.:smile:

EDIT: Found it. Just got verbally abused by an EV basher A lot of very knowledgeable folks responded so there may be something in there.

Search my threads from mid December. I'll see if I can find it.

However, my advice is; though that might be useful in a group to convince the others. My experience is that converting a single EV basher is a waste of energy. They simply aren't ready to hear the truth. Not that you asked.:smile:

Thanks, Al and scp. The particular instance I'm referring to here is not an EV basher, just a guy who wants to hear both sides of the argument before he makes up his own mind. In fact, he's ridden in a Model S and thinks it's a spectacular automobile.

Last edited:
I had a lot of text, but really, all you have to do is watch this. How its made Lithium Ion batteries - YouTube

You want to compare end-to-end powertrain production with this? thousands of moving parts, hundreds of sensors and actuators. The quickest way to an answer is just to use market prices as a guide, which included energy cost. All you have to do is compare the powertrain cost for a Model S to other cars of the same performance.