Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted an X :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Well, it was always my plan to buy a X. I bought my S only to hold me over ... a whopping 1.5 years ago.

However the minivan-esk look of the X has led me (and my wife, an avid car person) to ponder the following for my own amusement.

...I would have bought an X... if it looked like... the.. (in no specific order). (not taking into account that GM kills people for fun, Ford is stuck in the 1940s, BMWs can't be owned out of warranty, and Jeep doesn't well.. Jeep any more)

I genuinely prefer an 'SUV' and the size, etc. I sold my lifted Wrangler and a Tahoe to buy my S. and am... saddened by the minivan look and feel of the thing. If I'm spending $80k+ on something it better be good looking!

GM Tahoe/Suburban & variants
Ford Explorer, Edge
BMW X5
Audi Q7
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Infinity XQ60
Lexus RX
Nissan Murano, Pathfinder
Land Rover Evoque
Range Rover Sport

This isn't a complete list, but thought it would be fun. Take an X, make it LOOK like anything on this list, and I'd buy it, TODAY.

Well, it was always my plan to buy a X. I bought my S only to hold me over ... a whopping 1.5 years ago.

However the minivan-esk look of the X has led me (and my wife, an avid car person) to ponder the following for my own amusement.

...I would have bought an X... if it looked like... the.. (in no specific order). (not taking into account that GM kills people for fun, Ford is stuck in the 1940s, BMWs can't be owned out of warranty, and Jeep doesn't well.. Jeep any more)

I genuinely prefer an 'SUV' and the size, etc. I sold my lifted Wrangler and a Tahoe to buy my S. and am... saddened by the minivan look and feel of the thing. If I'm spending $80k+ on something it better be good looking!

GM Tahoe/Suburban & variants
Ford Explorer, Edge
BMW X5
Audi Q7
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Infinity XQ60
Lexus RX
Nissan Murano, Pathfinder
Land Rover Evoque
Range Rover Sport

This isn't a complete list, but thought it would be fun. Take an X, make it LOOK like anything on this list, and I'd buy it, TODAY.
So your telling us you wanted an X but really didn't want an X.

The Kia Souless? Nahh, didn't make the list. I love my S, I'm just... disappointed in the X looks. :( I spent about two hours with one, and just... not feelin' it. The new Explorer? I'd drive that all day!

Seems like maybe you should buy an Explorer then? I am not really sure what the point of your post is.

The problem with the Exploder is that is burns gas... Not doing that after falling in love w/my S.

Just the random musing of someone who held out for 3 years for a X, then bought a sexy S.

I'm sure many people will find it an attractive vehicle, but if you lined it up next to the above list, and based on looks alone... I wouldn't be buying one...

It's just disappointing (wish I had another word) when you think/dream about something for so long then when it comes out, it's just not... pretty.

No real point, just wouldn't want you to be bored on the internet :) I'm sure someone finds the Infinity QX80 a viable purchase option... with its whale face and bloated butt bumper...

or that Lincoln (most of them) with that baleen whale look.

Luckily I'll have my S, and the wife a 3 (which we both think is a good looking car).

and if the rumors of a pickup are true (and it looks like a F-150) or the other renders, I'd buy that!

I'm not saying it's a bad car, the X is a technological marvel, they just should have gone 10% boxier in the front end.

Ohh, and I'm jealous of the SUV classification, I want the factory tinted windows... car headlights behind me are way too bright in my S.

Last edited:
The problem with the Exploder is that is burns gas... Not doing that after falling in love w/my S.
I'm not saying it's a bad car, the X is a technological marvel, they just should have gone 10% boxier in the front end.
Shape of the X is dictated by physics. If it was any boxier, the coefficient of drag would be significantly higher and ranger would be impacted a lot more than it already is. I'm happy with their decision to focus more on range and less on aesthetics. In fact, I don't mind the aesthetics of the X.

I'm a fan of a "2 box" design of a good sports wagon or wagonlike crossover like the Q7, Cayenne, or Ranger Rover too. I've really grown to love the look of the X though. I actually think S's look like they're too squat now, like an X that's been crushed.

So you'd rather have a boxier X that only goes 100 miles on a charge. Cool. Audi will have their Q6 out in a couple more years. Enjoy the wait!

Getting the X in Oct. Keeping our '14 RRS because I love the looks of it. Q7, Cayenne looks nicer than the X (IMHO). Getting X for it's tech and it being an EV. It's a functional appliance that's nice. Maybe because I'm so used to the boxy looks of ICE SUVs. Time will probably change that as others adopt the design language (once the X are everywhere). The X to me is a logical purchase and not an emotional one. Spock buys the X, Kirk buys the Cayenne Turbo (or whatever German / British SUV you prefer). The interior has not grown on me yet either. It's Q7/Cayenne/X5/ML level nice), but not quite RRS/FFRR (dare I say Bentayga) level yet. A few more generations and I'm sure they'll get there, but by then, hopefully all the old brands will have some kind of EV pipeline in the works. I'm fortunate to have a choice. BUT if I were only allow one SUV to drive daily, I would take the X (up high seating, HOV lane access, no gas, FWD).

-ThinkMac-

Getting the X in Oct. Keeping our '14 RRS because I love the looks of it. Q7, Cayenne looks nicer than the X (IMHO). Getting X for it's tech and it being an EV. It's a functional appliance that's nice. Maybe because I'm so used to the boxy looks of ICE SUVs. Time will probably change that as others adopt the design language (once the X are everywhere). The X to me is a logical purchase and not an emotional one. Spock buys the X, Kirk buys the Cayenne Turbo (or whatever German / British SUV you prefer). The interior has not grown on me yet either. It's Q7/Cayenne/X5/ML level nice), but not quite RRS/FFRR (dare I say Bentayga) level yet. A few more generations and I'm sure they'll get there, but by then, hopefully all the old brands will have some kind of EV pipeline in the works. I'm fortunate to have a choice. BUT if I were only allow one SUV to drive daily, I would take the X (up high seating, HOV lane access, no gas, FWD).

-ThinkMac-

I went from a Cayenne to a Model X. I was thinking of keeping it as a second car not because i needed one but because i was attached to it sentimentally and loved it, thought it was a great car but.. I don't miss the Cayenne one bit since day 1 of having the X. I think the X blows it out of the water in looks, drive, technology. Porsche doesn't know how to do software, they are clueless. I get stares and glances 24/7 on the X, nobody ever looked at me when I drove the Cayenne. The X is beautiful, it has a weird shape when you look at it direcly from the side, but the car is a beauty and very fotogenic, I like it alot more than the Model S in the confort department. I think Elon said it once, the X is a much better suv than the S was a sedan, I believe this 100%

I missed a few. The Benz one. Not the GL one, the medium one... or a G wagon, those things are epic.

And the Volvo XC90. I'd like that shape on a X platform.

Maybe it's because our test drive one was white.. the X looks better in black... who knows, maybe in a few years it will get a refresh.

I looked at the Ford Explorer.. Looks like quite a wind pusher....looks OK though ....typical boring SUV shape. I love the model X but can't strap surfboards to the top...well I guess you could but they would look different after you opened the back avian feathered appendage nutcracker doors.