Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WANTED: Engine Noise Simulator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Volt had a pedestrian horn to warn people when coming up behind them. It would be great to either have that or opt for a futuristic EV sound that is played from somewhere in the frunk of the car when moving slowly. Just so that people can hear you coming. I've had many incidents where I had to honk the standard horn which usually almost gives people a heart attack.

Reactions: tomsla and dhrivnak
My Volt had a pedestrian horn to warn people when coming up behind them. It would be great to either have that or opt for a futuristic EV sound that is played from somewhere in the frunk of the car when moving slowly. Just so that people can hear you coming. I've had many incidents where I had to honk the standard horn which usually almost gives people a heart attack.
There's already a federal law on the books for this. Also, there have been Tesla wiring diagrams floating around that show a separate circuit and external speaker for the pedestrian noise unit. So, it is on it's way!

Federal Rule -
Effective Date: 02/13/2017
Initial Compliance Date: 09/01/2018
Full Compliance Date: 09/01/2019

original.jpg

There's already a federal law on the books for this. Also, there have been Tesla wiring diagrams floating around that show a separate circuit and external speaker for the pedestrian noise unit. So, it is on it's way!

That's very good to see. I drove a couple of hybrids over about twelve years, and I had to be particularly careful when going through parking lots and the like. Just as mentioned, I hesitated to use the stock horn, since the effect on the poor pedestrians was such that I may as well have fired a pistol in the air. I just about mounted a bicycle bell on my side view mirror. :)

• Funny
Reactions: JohnnyG
That's very good to see. I drove a couple of hybrids over about twelve years, and I had to be particularly careful when going through parking lots and the like. Just as mentioned, I hesitated to use the stock horn, since the effect on the poor pedestrians was such that I may as well have fired a pistol in the air. I just about mounted a bicycle bell on my side view mirror. :)
I just stick my head out the window and yell "VROOM! VROOM!" :p

The sound is realistic, but this is a novelty at best. I can't imagine anyone owning a Tesla wanting to run noise all the time.

Someone needs to come up with smoke coming out of a tailpipe and then we would have the whole package!

Agreed....that sound would get old real fast. Definitely cool as a novelty.

How about a coal-rolling kit?

This is so unbelievably uncool and pathetic. If you want to sound like that, buy a REAL V8.

Faking it is sad and embarrassing. Anyone with this should be ashamed.

Here's a hint -- the essence of being cool is being comfortable with who and what you are, whoever and whatever that is. Insecurity, pretension, and artificiality are the fundamental opposite of cool.