TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

WANTED: NEMA 6-50 adapter for Model S

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by NO C02, Jun 6, 2014.

1. NO C02

NO C02 Member

Tesla has suspended the sale of the NEMA 6-50 adapter for Model S. If you bought one and have found that you never use it...I will! My son-in-law has a 240 volt 40 amp welder plug in his shop, and it will be very handy to plug in when we visit. Willing to pay $50 plus a reasonable amount for shipping. Thanks.

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

If you can't find one to buy, there is a page in this document that describes how to make one. It is quite easy to make, and you just use your NEMA 14-50 adapter. You plug into a NEMA 14-50 to 6-50 pigtail.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Google "nema 6-50 to 14-50 adapter" and there are sources that sell them.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Really? All I find are 6-50 receptacle to 14-50 plug adapters, which is the exact opposite of what the OP needs. You won't find any general purpose 6-50 plug to 14-50 receptacle adapters since the 6-50 has no neutral, so the 14-50 receptacle wouldn't work for many common applications.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, my error, I had it backwards!

6. Darth Fedor

Darth Fedor Member

Ok, but what if someone (cough me) doesn't want to go through the work of making one.... Does someone want to sell me one?

7. GSP

GSP Member

8. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

PM me. I may have an extra one I can spare.

9. NO C02

NO C02 Member

Thanks for the offer dailydriver. Unfortunately I was away for a few days, someone else PM'd you and got the adapter! :scared: If there is anyone else that has an extra Tesla 6-50 adapter, please let me know. Same offer applies. Thanks everyone.

10. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

That eBay product looks perfect. Thanks for finding it.

12. GSP

GSP Member

This looks like a good solution for Tesla Motors no longer selling a 6-50 adapter. Thanks for posting.

GSP

13. NO C02

NO C02 Member

Thanks JakeP for the link to the eBay option. After considering this adapter, I decided against purchasing it, because it is not a sealed unit. Meaning it may not work perfectly in less than ideal (dry) conditons.

I found another supplier, Conntek, who make every possible Tesla adapter, in a pigtail style. Here is the link to the 6-50p to 14-50r adapter that I ordered. About $125 in Vancouver, you may get it for less in the USA.

http://www.conntek.com/products.asp?id=971

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Great find, NO CO2! I really wish Tesla would reissue their 6-50.

15. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I am lobbying Ownership to release the existing 6-50 stock that was pulled from Service Center stock to be available for sale to folks like us who want (and very much need) 6-50 adapters for destination charging.

16. prg

prg Member

Thanks for posting this! I made a 6-50p to 14-50r adapter myself, but I suspect I am a much more competent surgeon than electrician. 240 volt 50 amp current makes me more than a little nervous about the quality of my connections.

17. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I received my 6-50 to 14-50 pigtail adapter from Conntek (see link above), and it looks very solid. Will be testing it out soon.

18. tga

tga Supporting Member

19. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

There are also things like the plug in version of the GE Wattstation compelling people (like me) to have NEMA 6-50 outlets installed. And really, I'm not sure why 14-50 became the standard for non-HPWC Tesla charging to begin with. Why run 4 expensive high amperage wires when you only need 3?