Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WANTED: NEMA 6-50 adapter for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are also things like the plug in version of the GE Wattstation compelling people (like me) to have NEMA 6-50 outlets installed. And really, I'm not sure why 14-50 became the standard for non-HPWC Tesla charging to begin with. Why run 4 expensive high amperage wires when you only need 3?
This has some hints at the pre-EV history of 6-50 vs. 14-50, but I only skimmed:
NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also things like the plug in version of the GE Wattstation compelling people (like me) to have NEMA 6-50 outlets installed. And really, I'm not sure why 14-50 became the standard for non-HPWC Tesla charging to begin with. Why run 4 expensive high amperage wires when you only need 3?

I think that since pretty much all of the RV parks in the US(thousands) have 14-50's for their 50A service, the 14-50 is the connector for on the road charging.

And really, I'm not sure why 14-50 became the standard for non-HPWC Tesla charging to begin with. Why run 4 expensive high amperage wires when you only need 3?

+1
Yeah, for us early deliveries, anything but a 14-50 and 5-15 was as rare as hens teeth. I find it quite frankly a waste of copper and money to run the 3-wire (plus ground) required for a 14-50 especially since the neutral on the UMC is a dummy/dead prong and not even recognized by the S. Even the Natick, MA gallery deployed 6-50's at their reserved Tesla parking spaces. The elimination of this great (under-utilized IMHO) 6-50 has now created more aftermarket and home-made adapters. I hope Tesla brings back the 6-50 and offers a UMC 6-20 along with a UMC L6-30. As I stated elsewhere:

more Tesla UMC adapters = fewer aftermarket/home-made adapters = less failure points = safer charging = higher TSLA

the natick store has since changed over to 14-50's

Last edited:
I would consider a homemade or purchased 6-50P to 14-50R adapter, to use with Tesla's 14-50 plug. You must be careful not to use this for other applications beyond your Tesla.

Also, does anyone know if you cut off the center (neutral) prong on Tesla's 14-50 plug adapter, will it work OK for both 6-50 and 14-50 outlets?

GSP

I would consider a homemade or purchased 6-50P to 14-50R adapter, to use with Tesla's 14-50 plug. You must be careful not to use this for other applications beyond your Tesla.

Also, does anyone know if you cut off the center (neutral) prong on Tesla's 14-50 plug adapter, will it work OK for both 6-50 and 14-50 outlets?

GSP

That link I posted three posts back is a good store bought adapter.

No, the 6-50 and 14-50 plugs are too physically different for this hack to work. However, if you did saw off the neutral pin from the Tesla 14-50 adapter, then it would also plug into and work with a NEMA 14-30 and the very rare NEMA 14-60. You'd have to manually dial down the current to 24 amps plugging such a modified 14-50 into a 14-30 receptacle.