Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Wanted : Tesla to Chademo US Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you saw my comment when this was posted in the For Sale area. If not (and to "bump" your thread), here it is again:

BTW, I hope that you are able to find one, but prices are getting ridiculous on eBay. And judging by other comments on TMC, CHAdeMO is a dying standard. Can you wait for the promised Tesla CCS1 adapter and a possible retrofit for older cars? (I know; when?)

Check Craigslist. Not everyone is a "scalper." (But expect to pay more than retail.) The good news is that CL now allows you to search for items outside of your local area. Check all major metropolitan areas in Canada and the US. Some sellers will ship. (And check South Korea and Japan, too.)

The Tesla South Korea site is still selling CHAdeMO adapters for Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) cars there (South Korean CHAdeMO). I assume they would work for North American TPC cars since both the CHAdeMO port-end and TPC plug-end of the adapter are the same for adapters in both regions? The asking price on the Tesla South Korean website is ₩445,000 (Won) = $471.27 (Canadian). Of course, shipping may be expensive. But It cannot hurt to try to buy one there using your Tesla account, right?

Or look for one for sale, or put a want ad, in the Seoul South Korea Craiglist.

There may be a South Korean CHAdeMO adapter owner's manual in pdf? YES! It is in the "South Korean CHAdeMO" link above:

CHAdeMO 어댑터 사용 방법

Use Google to translate to English and compare to the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter English pdf (CHAdeMO Owners Manual).

The Tesla Japan website no longer advertises the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. Surprising, because it is the DC charging standard there, but a new CHAdeMO-GB/T (China+Japan) standard coming, so that may be why. However, I am told that customers can still ask Tesla for a ChadeMO adapter when they get a new car. Do you know anyone living in or visiting Japan or South Korea? Again, I assume that South Korean, Japanese, and North American Tesla CHAdeMO adapters are all the same. Check on this. (Contact CHAdeMO association website. CHAdeMO Association)

Good luck.

Summary:
  1. Use Craigslist and check all major metropolitan areas in the US and Canada.
  2. Check with CHAdeMO Association (online) and determine if Tesla CHAdeMO adapters should (mechanically, electronically) be the same in South Korea, Japan, Canada, and the USA--the four countries with Tesla cars that use the TPC standard charging plugs/ports.
  3. Find helpful TMC member in South Korea or Japan who can buy new/used one for you and ship it.

Just looked quickly. There is one for sale on Craigslist on one of the Hawaiian islands, but they are asking $1,000 (US dollars). Maybe take less? (But shipping would be expensive, I imagine.) In Canada all I saw was people wanting adapters. Is there a decent after-market (3rd party) CHAdeMO adapter that can be used with Tesla?

I've got no dog in this hunt, but at $880 (BIN price) this one may be the best deal in North America? Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter on eBay. Use appropriate caution. But it appears to be:
  • New.
  • Sealed in Tesla box.
  • Located in USA.
  • Free shipping.
  • From seller with good feedback (one screwball negative).
  • Selling for about 2X retail. Under the circumstances, that may arguably be reasonable?

Thats nuts, way overpriced. The Setec CCS Adapter would probably be a better purchase than paying that much for a Chademo.

I can’t disagree. It is way overpriced. I am not recommending that anyone in particular purchase it. I’m just reporting what’s available.

I, myself, have complained before about excessively high prices on certain Internet sites*. ("Cough, cough!" "eBay." "Cough!") But most of my complaints are about when the same product is still for sale for less on the Tesla website. Once Tesla stops making an item--which seems to be the case with the CHAdeMO adapter--it's open season and whatever the market will bear.

There's lots printed on TMC about the SETEC product. Seems ungainly, expensive, and problematic to me. My advice is to wait for a Tesla CCS1 adapter, if possible. But when will that be? My sympathies are with people who really need to use CHAdeMO or CCS charging stations right now. I hope a solution arrives quickly for them.

Last edited:
I can’t disagree. It is way overpriced. I am not recommending that anyone in particular purchase it. I’m just reporting what’s available.

I, myself, have complained before about excessively high prices on certain Internet sites*. ("Cough, cough!" "eBay." "Cough!") But most of my complaints are about when the same product is still for sale for less on the Tesla website. Once Tesla stops making an item--which seems to be the case with the CHAdeMO adapter--it's open season and whatever the market will bear.

There's lots printed on TMC about the SETEC product. Seems ungainly, expensive, and problematic to me. My advice is to wait for a Tesla CCS1 adapter, if possible. But when will that be? My sympathies are with people who really need to use CHAdeMO or CCS charging stations right now. I hope a solution arrives quickly for them.
It is terrible that you are essentially stuck to approximately 200km from your home charger. 200km out and 200km back, to fully charge again. Its unbelievable that Tesla removed the Chademo and does not have a suitable replacement product to purchase in order to use. It would be nice to see a US CCS1 charging kit available for those of us that are handy and can handle installing it ourselves. There's not much to replacing the charging module in the trunk.

It is terrible that...Tesla removed the Chademo and does not have a suitable replacement product...

Agreed. Over and over I see the bulk of Tesla's customer service problems centered on its lack of timely communication with existing and potential customers.

Develop a plan/schedule, communicate that schedule to customers, and if you can't meet the schedule (which will happen) tell people. Most people will understand--stuff happens. But letting loud Twitter-mouth EM promise things and then keeping people in the dark for months/years is no way to run a business, imo.

Reactions: buckets0fun
...Its unbelievable that Tesla removed the Chademo and does not have a suitable replacement product...​

Agreed. I just did a quick check (subject to possible correction) on the online availability of Tesla CHAdeMO adapters worldwide:

Country​
Charge Port/Plug Standard​
Tesla Online Status​
Price (when in stock)
Canada/USA​
TPC (Tesla Proprietary Connector)​
No longer available​
(previously $400 USD)​
United Kingdom​
Type 2​
Out of Stock​
£79​
Ireland (EU)​
Type 2​
Available​
99 €​
Germany (EU)​
Type 2​
Available​
99 €​
Belgium (EU)​
Type 2​
Available​
99 €​
France (EU)​
Type 2​
Available​
99 €​
Spain (EU)​
Type 2​
Available​
99 €​
UAE (Mid-East)​
Type 2​
Out of Stock​
AED 1,175​
New Zealand​
Type 2​
Available​
$565 (NZ dollars)​
Australia​
Type 2​
Available​
$510 (AUS dollars)​
Japan​
TPC​
No longer available​
? (from Tesla SC?)​
South Korea​
TPC​
Available​
₩445,000 ($367.83 USD)​
Taiwan​
TPC/Type 2?​
Available​
NT$15,700 ($563.89 USD)​
China​
GB/T​
Never available​
--​

Notes
  • It is surprising that Tesla no longer offers a CHAdeMO adapter on its websites in Japan and North America. (Japan originated CHAdeMO.)
  • I did not check every European Union country, but assume that the status is the same in most, if not all.
  • The European price for the Type 2 CHAdeMO adapter is now surprisingly low. (Is Tesla trying to sell off its existing stock of adapters there?)
  • As mentioned in Post #2, is it possible to order a TPC adapter from Tesla of South Korea, have it shipped to North America, and have it work here?
  • I am told that CHAdeMO adapters may still be available upon request from Tesla service centers there.
  • Taiwan switched from the TPC to Type 2 charging standards. I am unsure whether CHAdeMO adapter sold there now are Type 2, or still TPC.
  • It's a shame the European CHAdeMO adapter will not work in North America.

When I bought mine it was about $500 on the Tesla (USA) website.

I’m assuming based on all these post they don’t sell them anymore… i’m confused that I’ve seen some of them and they indicate they’re not supported for the model three, but I have used mine a number of times to charge my model three.

When I bought mine it was about $500 on the Tesla (USA) website.

I’m assuming based on all these post they don’t sell them anymore… i’m confused that I’ve seen some of them and they indicate they’re not supported for the model three, but I have used mine a number of times to charge my model three.

Yes, I remember that. Then they fell to $450, and to $400 by the end (~October/November 2021), I believe. What is most amazing is the current price in Great Britain--£79. What's that?--$106. They are, like, giving them away there. (Of course they come with the Type 2 plug that can't be used in North America.)

I am not an expert on Model 3, but I think I've heard that it is something like CCS adapter and Supercharging capability. Older Model S in Europe, maybe other places, did not necessarily have Supercharging capability. (A retrofit was necessary, I think.) Then at some manufacturing point all new cars were Supercharger-capable. Likewise for CCS capability in North America (elsewhere?). Prior to 2020 and for a time in late 2021 (due to chip shortage), cars had no CCS capability.

So something analogous for CHAdeMO charging capability? That involved both the car and adapter firmware. CHAdeMO adapter firmware can be updated (at Service Centers). Older adapters apparently did not always work with early (2017-) Model 3. By the end of 2021 the hardware and software of both cars and adapters were OK and CHAdeMO adapters worked in all 4 models. (For specific details, search TMC for posts about CHAdeMO adapters.)