Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted tips: Road Trip Sacramento to Vancouver Jan or Feb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model S 70D , and planning a road trip to visit friends and relatives from Sacramento to Vancouver. I am looking for suggested places to visit. I like hiking, camping and skiing, and interested in sightseeing the must see items. I have always flown to Vancouver so I wanted to take advantage of the road trip to experience these 3 states and British Columbia.

Places that are fixed on the trip - flexible on when I get here.
  1. Pasco
  2. Seattle
  3. Victoria
  4. Whistler
  5. Vancouver

Looking for charging tips for this route -- looks like along I-5 all is okay, but I was thinkign about the coastal route the California-Oregon border requires more planning.

Thank you

It's hit and miss in Vancouver at that time of year for weather: It could be 7 degrees and dry or hovering around -4 to 2 and icy/slushy, so don't overlook the possible need for decent all-weather tires.

The coastal route might be a little tricky in a 70. Ukiah-Eureka is the longest leg. I would check on EVTripplanner to see if it is doable with a 98% charge if you monitor your speed carefully. The remaining SC along the route seem to be spaced reasonably comfortable for a 70. Klamath Falls to Bend and Bend to Pasco are longish legs, and might not be comfortable in a 70 unless you drive at 50-55. You might have to go to Pasco via Ellensburg and back via Hood River (or vice versa) which will add some driving time.

It may take some planning, but check carefully on Tesla's website and on PlugShare for destination chargers at hotels or other attractions. A seemingly impossible leg might be doable if you plan your overnight at a motel/hotel with destination chargers.

If you rely upon a destination charger or two, always verify with the hotel that it is operating and available when you arrive. Also look at the reviews on PlugShare to see comments made by others who have availed themselves of the plugs.

Good luck, and have fun!

Drove the coast from San Fran to Seattle with a loaded down 75 with cargo box and family of 4 and had plenty of juice at next SC destinations. Mind you that was the summer so expect 10 to 15% ish more consumption this time of year.

The Vancouver area has decent SC and lots of Level 2 options. Victoria has good level 2 options as well. If you are lucky the SC under construction might be done by the time you get here;)