Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting SiriusXM on the Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Search is your friend.

Of course, Tesla could begin installing the necessary hardware for Sirius/XM at any time. For the vehicles already built, a hardware retrofit would be required.

It isn't simply a software update.

Moderator note: Edited potentially misleading thread title. Unlike (some versions of) the Model S/X, the Model 3/Y do not have SiriusXM receiver hardware.

Would be nice is this filtered down to the 3/Y - 2021.32.10 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates
You can stream Spotify if you have a Spotify Premium account using the Tesla Model Y's Premium Connectivity service. There is no technical reason why Tesla couldn't support a SiriusXM streaming app for the Model Y too. The release notes state that if you have a Model S you can access SiriusXM from the media source selector with a SiriusXM subscription. Currently this is only available in Canada so maybe there is a licensing restiction.

jcanoe: So, is the hardware already capable and only requires a licensing permit?
No; there is no SiriusXM satellite receiver built into the Tesla Model Y (at least not in the US.) What I was describing would be support for a SiriusXM native app for the Model Y that would work over the Tesla's 4G LTE cellular network. This is the way that Spotify Premium users access Spotify in the Model Y. It would enable streaming of SiriusXM programming over the Tesla's Premium Connectivity service. If Tesla ever decides to offer native SiriusXM streaming on the Model Y you would not need to use your phone or your phone's data plan to stream SiriusXM. This does not help if you are trying to listen to either Spotify or SiriusXM and you are driving in an area with limited or no cell coverage but then again there are places in the US where the satellite signal is weak or blocked because the satellite reception requires line of sight.

One day the SiriusXM satellites are going to run out of fuel and then be de-orbited. What then? Will they launch new satellites or will SiriusXM morph into a terrestrial-based internet streaming service (it already is for many users.)

Reactions: JohnC-PA
Does the latest software version 2021.32.10 truly only add this only for Model S'? That would suck. I'd like the SXM streaming client in my MY please. Release notes state "You can now access Sirius XM from the Media source selector with a Sirius XM subscription." but it shows Model S 2021+ only on the top. :-(

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Search is your friend.

Of course, Tesla could begin installing the necessary hardware for Sirius/XM at any time. For the vehicles already built, a hardware retrofit would be required.

It isn't simply a software update.
Yes it is!! They can stream it just like the other streaming apps. You can actually do it now via the browser, but the car mutes the browser when you put it into drive.

Yes it is!! They can stream it just like the other streaming apps. You can actually do it now via the browser, but the car mutes the browser when you put it into drive.

I had high hopes that the new "Remain Connected to Wi-Fi in Drive" feature would allow me to login into my SXM All Access Package via the player URL in the browser and work as another way to get SXM without having builtin hardware. In the meantime, I continue to stream it via BT.

Does the latest software version 2021.32.10 truly only add this only for Model S'? That would suck. I'd like the SXM streaming client in my MY please. Release notes state "You can now access Sirius XM from the Media source selector with a Sirius XM subscription." but it shows Model S 2021+ only on the top. :-(
It didn't add a SXM streaming client to the Model S. It added the code to support the SXM satellite receiver in the refresh Model Ss. The Model Y doesn't have that receiver, so it isn't going to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe