Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting to buy Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this other state tax thing come in question if buying used, straight from Tesla, and having them ship the car to me?

I really wanted to drive one home but everything on my shortlist is way too far.

If Tesla ships the car, then you are buying it from local Tesla. No out of state issues to worry about. The only caveat in your case is that you live in Texas, and I am unsure about how that works due to no dealerships in Texas? Plenty of Tesla owners in Texas though so it should be easy to figure out the answer.

keep an eye on ev-cpo.com - In keeps track of the CPO's offered by tesla and you will get a minimum of a 2 year Tesla Warranty with the purchase. There's also a lot on all of the usual sites like Ebay, Autotrader and Auto Tempest.

keep an eye on ev-cpo.com - In keeps track of the CPO's offered by tesla and you will get a minimum of a 2 year Tesla Warranty with the purchase. There's also a lot on all of the usual sites like Ebay, Autotrader and Auto Tempest.

Most importantly though... do your research. Read about when certain features debut, and when particular "problems" start and stop (Door handles, battery pack issues, AP, Wheel noise, interior options, etc).

For what it's worth I think that you could land yourself in a high mileage (50k+) late 2014 with AP1 and some creature comforts in the general neighborhood of what your looking to spend. Additionally Jan/Feb is a better time to buy as the 2017's start to come off lease and opens up the market for more discounts on older cars.

Best of Luck.

are most CPO's not used as Tesla loaners?

I'm in a loaner right now and it's gonna be a special CPO baby!!!

Let me run a hypothetical scenario which now seems more plausible with the $100 deposit.

Where's the actual point of no return when purchasing a used Model S from Tesla? Let's say I find an S I like, I pay the $100 and plan to have it shipped to me by Tesla. Assuming it takes quite some time until they get the car ready for shipping, what happens if in the mean time I find another one which I like more than the $100 deposit I put down on the first one? What's the latest point I can just cancel the order (losing the $100) and start the process for another car?

Is something like this frowned upon by Tesla? Would I make my life harder if I end up doing this?

Sort of related question, let's say the car does get shipped to me and it's nothing like the pictures or has some major issues. What happens if I straight up refuse it? Besides loosing the $100 deposit, they can't make me pay for the shipping, right?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex444
Here we go! I can't believe it! I clicked it and no one swiped it while I was filling out my card details :D

It's a very nice (IMO) 75D that I've been watching for a while... strangely it had disappeared and popped back up (hopefully it wasn't because of refused delivery, but I'm not concerned with this for now).

I'm prepared with a lot of patience, especially since I'm having Tesla deliver it to me and because it's a sale for Texas, who knows what hoops I'll have to go through. In any case, I'll open a new thread at some point and will follow along the whole process.

I still can't believe it :D

Screenshot_3.jpg

Reactions: Alset4S