Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting To Do A Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I've wanted to get a Model 3 as soon as I saw one, but I'm kind of old school and would like to take a test drive first. I do not live near a showroom(?) or service center, nearest is about an hour and a half away. If I need to go to the closest service center, how long of a test drive to you get? I know with Covid, you can test drive without someone to go with you but I fear that going somewhere I'm not familiar with would effect the test drive, like not knowing if I was in an area that I could open it up at and things like that. Has anyone done a test drive in this situation? What should I expect? Thanks.

I don't have any suggestions on how to schedule a test drive. But I do have this thought to offer. If I lived that far away from the nearest service center, I personally would not buy a Tesla. My 2018 P3D has been very reliable, but I have needed to visit my local SC (service center) a few times. Keep in mind that if your Tesla needs a minor or major repair or service, you can't take it to your local mechanic. I would feel very anxious knowing that if something went wrong with the car, it would be a major trip just to get to the nearest service center. Maybe you could contact Tesla and ask them if they are planning on building a SC closer to you anytime soon.

Turo isn't an option in my area, I've checked and there aren't any Teslas available. And the distance to a service center doesn't scare me off on buying a Tesla, I would just think the drive to the test drive shouldn't be longer than the test drive itself.

When I first bought my Tesla Model 3, I went for the test drive I was in an area that I wasn't familiar with. I brought my cousin along with me as we test drove the vehicle, and when driving we noticed that we were off route. It was a trouble trying to get back on route but we just followed the navigation on the Tesla (It's auto-set by Tesla themselves to the home Tesla location). We were gone for an hour + and the workers just gave us a call and guided us over the phone on how to use the navigation to come back.

I don't have any suggestions on how to schedule a test drive. But I do have this thought to offer. If I lived that far away from the nearest service center, I personally would not buy a Tesla. My 2018 P3D has been very reliable, but I have needed to visit my local SC (service center) a few times. Keep in mind that if your Tesla needs a minor or major repair or service, you can't take it to your local mechanic. I would feel very anxious knowing that if something went wrong with the car, it would be a major trip just to get to the nearest service center. Maybe you could contact Tesla and ask them if they are planning on building a SC closer to you anytime soon.

I disagree. I live in South Bend, IN which does not have a Tesla service center. There are several in Chicago, 1.75 hours away or Indianapolis, 2.25 hours away. I have owned the car for one year and the car has been perfect since delivery, and has not required any service. If I do require service, Tesla mobile service is available and can handle many issues (or so I have been told). I researched this issue before buying and was comfortable purchasing a Tesla. Every day I see multiple Teslas on the road in my area, so I'm not the only one who is comfortable buying without a service center locally.

I will admit, I have a teenager who has a car, and my wife has an SUV, so if my car needs to be towed to one of these "far away" locations, I have other means of transportation available (i.e. I'll confiscate my son's car). I admit I would feel differently if I were single and had no other vehicles available.

Regarding the test drive... I test drove the car while I was Indianapolis on business. This was before COVID and so I could drive the car with a Tesla rep in the passenger seat. The test drive was probably 45 minutes on Interstate highways and local roads. I do not know how they are handling test drives during COVID, I assume it varies greatly by location and state. But one word of caution... DO NOT test drive a Tesla unless you are serious about buying and have the means to make the purchase. You will become obsessed with acquiring a Tesla and afterwards, driving a gas powered car will feel like driving a tractor.

Last edited:
If a test drive is so essential, it should be worth the 3 hour round trip to a showroom.

Test drive is not intended to provide full speed tests in congested urban areas...sorry.
Yes, but my question was really about length of time for the test drive. The opening it up was a reference to location. I wanted to know if it would be possible to do a more lengthy test drive due to the fact I may be in an area that I do not know.

Yes, but my question was really about length of time for the test drive. The opening it up was a reference to location. I wanted to know if it would be possible to do a more lengthy test drive due to the fact I may be in an area that I do not know.

I test drove twice. They didn't have an issue with a more extended test drive on the second drive. I scheduled it for near the end of the day so they didn't need to rush me back for the next customer.

At my test drive, I was told to be back within 30 minutes, because others were booked after me. But I’m sure if you call and explain, they will do their best to accommodate you and find a solution. As others have said, be prepared to buy the car. Once you drive it, there is no turning back. Honestly, you don’t even need 30 minutes. After 3 minutes you just know. And it really does suck getting back into your ice car afterwards.

As far as driving in an unknown area, I know what you’re talking about. My first contact with Tesla was while I was in Waikiki on vacation. They offered a test drive, and I declined since I felt I’d really be concentrating more on actually driving and staying safe than getting a true feel for the car, because I was in an area I wasn’t 100% familiar with. (That area is quite busy with traffic) He offered to go with me, but it still doesn’t change that feeling. I knew I’d be more comfortable test driving the car in my own area.