Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting To Do A Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the big danger of a teat drive :
Breakfast bacon, eggs, Tesla
lunch bigmac, whopper, Tesla
dinner steak, potato Tesla
I had to order one to get it out of my mind.
Now its drive me, drive me, drive me

I know exactly what you mean. I test drove it in November 2019 and ordered it in May 2020. In the meantime I was kind of obsessed with the car. I don't like to become obsessed with material things, but I thought about buying one all the time. I would have purchased one sooner but I didn't want to start driving a new car like that in the middle of winter. Then, COVID hit and I wanted to make sure my financial situation was going to be ok. Now that I have the car, I find myself wishing I had a longer commute because I only live a 15 minute drive from work. I find myself talking the "long way" home just so I can drive it a little longer! Maybe the obsession doesn't end once you receive the car!

I know exactly what you mean. I test drove it in November 2019 and ordered it in May 2020. In the meantime I was kind of obsessed with the car. I don't like to become obsessed with material things, but I thought about buying one all the time. I would have purchased one sooner but I didn't want to start driving a new car like that in the middle of winter. Then, COVID hit and I wanted to make sure my financial situation was going to be ok. Now that I have the car, I find myself wishing I had a longer commute because I only live a 15 minute drive from work. I find myself talking the "long way" home just so I can drive it a little longer! Maybe the obsession doesn't end once you receive the car!

That was my predicament as well... The moment I pressed the accelerator pedal during my first test drive, my mind was telling me "I want this s**t right now".

Two weeks later after my 2nd test drive, I made the order. It was a good thing that I had plans to get a new car, so it wasn't to bad for me for the wait. But I would agree on don't test drive just for fun, you will be hooked for life.

I didn't test drive one at all. My ICE needed a major repair. I rationalized the Model 3 purchase for a week, then pulled the trigger. Had to drive 7 hours to pick it up... the card exceeded my expectations. Never going back to combustion.

AND... I've been driving for 25 years. Driving was just something I needed to do for transportation. Now I find myself joy riding and coming up with excuses to drive.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Hello, I've wanted to get a Model 3 as soon as I saw one, but I'm kind of old school and would like to take a test drive first. I do not live near a showroom(?) or service center, nearest is about an hour and a half away. If I need to go to the closest service center, how long of a test drive to you get? I know with Covid, you can test drive without someone to go with you but I fear that going somewhere I'm not familiar with would effect the test drive, like not knowing if I was in an area that I could open it up at and things like that. Has anyone done a test drive in this situation? What should I expect? Thanks.
I am about an hour away from a Service Center. They often are set up for test drives close to me at a Supercharger site a few minutes away from me. I was able to try out the 3 and the Y, with an hour alloted for each. This was a great way to try them out without having to travel far. You should check and see if they provide this service in your area.

Well, if the border was open, Oakville ON. is almost closer than Rochester.
Also, Tesla Toronto is planning to do a pile of touchless remote test drives. I'm pretty sure Niagara Falls ON. is one of them. If the border opens soon, you might want to look at that option.

Edit. I just checked the Tesla Canada events site....and Niagara Falls is going on until March 1 2021. Events | Tesla Canada

As Maxwell Smart said: "Missed it by that much"

Last edited:
Well my second mistake was letting my partner drive the
whole way on the test. After buzzing by a BMW at over 100mph,
the only thing said was when do we get it. and every day after that

A little off topic :
Draw your Tesla rings on a map. (paper)
Put a pin in the map at your house, connect a string.
Draw the first circle at the half way point say 150 miles for day trips
and 300 miles for the longer day trips. (substract a bit for safety)
Now look for cool places to go.

Our nearest service center is 4 hours away but so far the mobile Tesla ranger has serviced our car at home.
When we are ready to buy another Tesla we'll drive to the service center for a test drive.

No big deal,
I consider it a small inconvenience for what I get in return

I don't have any suggestions on how to schedule a test drive. But I do have this thought to offer. If I lived that far away from the nearest service center, I personally would not buy a Tesla. My 2018 P3D has been very reliable, but I have needed to visit my local SC (service center) a few times. Keep in mind that if your Tesla needs a minor or major repair or service, you can't take it to your local mechanic. I would feel very anxious knowing that if something went wrong with the car, it would be a major trip just to get to the nearest service center. Maybe you could contact Tesla and ask them if they are planning on building a SC closer to you anytime soon.

We have SvC closer than him but a lot of our service work (A/C filter replacement and condenser cleaning, upgrading from HW2.5 to HW3, etc.) has been done by mobile. Car didn’t need to be driven in to shop and it was much appreciated and super convenient to have it done at home. They called when like 10 minutes out that day and let me know when they were ready to leave.

I literally live in between 3 tesla locations (10 min to each frome home), but none had any available test drives... found one 1 hour away for overnight test drive for model 3 :) if you really want to get Tesla, just do it :) it worth it, this is going to be my second tesla, for my wife actually, and our 5th tesla in our family

Hello, I've wanted to get a Model 3 as soon as I saw one, but I'm kind of old school and would like to take a test drive first. I do not live near a showroom(?) or service center, nearest is about an hour and a half away. If I need to go to the closest service center, how long of a test drive to you get? I know with Covid, you can test drive without someone to go with you but I fear that going somewhere I'm not familiar with would effect the test drive, like not knowing if I was in an area that I could open it up at and things like that. Has anyone done a test drive in this situation? What should I expect? Thanks.
I was in the same boat. We are 135 miles away from the nearest Tesla store (Las Vegas, Nevada). We happened to be in 'vegas for our anniversary, so we stopped in. When we told the sales associate where we lived, he said we were welcome to take the car on an overnight test drive. All they would need was a copy of both of our driver's licenses, and we would have to leave a major credit card with them.

He also said that if we knew of anyone in our area that wanted to take a Tesla on a test drive, have them call him, and they'd arrange to have a car waiting for them for an overnight test drive.

I won't bore you with the long story of our purchase experience... instead, I'll just give you a quick piece of advice. If you happen to find the car you want to buy in stock, buy it right then. It will be gone within hours. They don't keep a lot of cars in stock, so there's a very good chance they won't have the car you want.

When you call to schedule your overnight test drive, ask them if they happen to have the exact car in stock that you want to buy. If you're lucky, they will. If you're even luckier, they'll sell it to you at the end of the test drive. They might not, though, depending on how long it has been used as a tester.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
@Karl3333 - that was an offer, not a suggestion. Did you knock on somebody's window or something? :)

I like giving test drives, as long as you're not the car-jacking or serial killing type. I do have 6 children to provide for :)

I'm at the Main & Transit supercharger two or three times a week.
No but I think whomever it was at the end of their charging and wanted to leave. Anyways, it kind of made me feel like a stalker, which wasn't what I was really looking to do.