Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanting to order a Tesla Plaid, will wrap it, but what base color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the go-ahead from the wife to order a Plaid, but she's adamant that she wants it wrapped in satin black after seeing a few that have this color.

The interior will be white.. My ultimate question is when wrapping, what all is wrapped? Should I order the black so that everything visible is black, or would enough be done that if it were white I wouldn't see anything white. Like the door sills, hatch underside and such?

I'm thinking it'd probably look best to get black, but I'm wanting to hear others experiences please. Since the interior would be white, maybe seeing white in those areas won't matter? It does seem wasteful to spend 1500 on black painted car just to cover it though?

Edit:

After doing some further research, since satin black is the desired outcome, I found a Xpel Stealth PPF that changes your gloss into satin. So i'm thinking that might be the path to go vs a vinyl wrap..

Anyone have comments?

Last edited:
Reactions: James-R10
Got the go-ahead from the wife to order a Plaid, but she's adamant that she wants it wrapped in satin black after seeing a few that have this color.

The interior will be white.. My ultimate question is when wrapping, what all is wrapped? Should I order the black so that everything visible is black, or would enough be done that if it were white I wouldn't see anything white. Like the door sills, hatch underside and such?

I'm thinking it'd probably look best to get black, but I'm wanting to hear others experiences please. Since the interior would be white, maybe seeing white in those areas won't matter? It does seem wasteful to spend 1500 on black painted car just to cover it though?

Edit:

After doing some further research, since satin black is the desired outcome, I found a Xpel Stealth PPF that changes your gloss into satin. So i'm thinking that might be the path to go vs a vinyl wrap..

Anyone have comments?
Just got mine back today... Suntek Matte PPF wrapped, took 7 days... but worth every penny... I can get more shots tomorrow, it was getting dark by the time I got home... Matte PPF is the way to go for sure with how weak the paint jobs are on these cars... I had 600 miles on it when I dropped it off and the rockers were littered with chips, but the matte film ended up hiding most of the imperfections in the paint now as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 3,574
I have black with xpel ppf stealth. This is definitely the way to go! Make sure you get it done right away! I had mine done the day after I picked up the car. Just make sure you find a good detailer who can detail the car and buff out the scratches, etc. The paint job/prep on these cars are not great…some much worse than others. I was lucky but just find a really good shop to do the job. Pay extra to have it installed with no seams if they are capable. Many shops use a basic computer cut which will have visible seams but if you’re lucky enough to find a really good shop (like I did) they can make it look like an oem satin paint job…. Absolutely AMAZING WORK!

Last edited:
Go black if you want to wrap it satin black. If you do white, the white can show through around the edges where the panels meet, especially if the installers aren't experienced enough to cover them. Here's a black one we just did. All satin black, including the trims.

Reactions: buckweet1980