TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Warm Springs BART shuttle to Tesla??

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by azred, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. azred

azred Member

When we take the factory tour sometime in the next month, we will fly into Oakland and take BART to Warm Springs/South Fremont, I think. But it looks like it is a pretty good hike from there to the factory. I thought I heard there is a shuttle running to the factory from BART. If so, is it only for employees, how often does it run etc?

2. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Warm Springs BART is on the far end of the factory... it would be a long unpleasant walk to the front of the factory. Call Uber/Lyft to take you to the Delivery Center. Be sure to check out the great view of the parking lot full of too-be-delivered cars from the BART platform.

3. azred

azred Member

Thanks, but I know I can walk the mile and a half — and it probably wouldn’t be fun, which was the reason for my post. I’m also aware of ride sharing services.

I hope someone will answer my question whether there is a shuttle from BART. I think there is one for employees and wondered if I could jump on it. Anyone else?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#4 cwerdna, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    I've never been to those BART stations as BART is mostly useless for me anyway. (Closest station from home is Warm Springs at 28 miles drive (mostly north) from home.) But, I've heard the Oakland Coliseum area is pretty sketchy and there have been some recent attacks that have made the local news.

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders
    Mob-style robbery on BART wasn't the first time: 2 Investigates
    Another violent teen robbery on BART in Oakland — but this time, witness saves day
    BART Police Arrest Train Assault Suspect

Just advising caution...

If I ever take BART, it's usually me driving to the Daly City station (~56 miles from home) to take it into SF (e.g. Powell Street). I hardly ever venture into sketchier parts of the East Bay, esp. by BART.

5. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Check with the tour people at Tesla. They should know if there is a shuttle you can take.

6. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

BART is simply a terrible transit system, which is the sole reason I wouldn't use it to get to the Tesla factory. But the safety concerns are mostly overblown. If you look for trouble, you'll find it. If you're attentive and aware of your surroundings, the areas in the East Bay near BART stations are totally fine. They are often in poor areas, but that doesn't make them sketchy.

7. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

8. azred

azred Member

Was intending to ask but thought some people here might have “snuck” on the shuttle — if it exists — even if it’s only intended for employees. An example of the possible advantage of asking for forgiveness instead of permission.

9. azred

azred Member

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#10 cwerdna, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    I have heard of Tesla employee shuttles before at my work. I believe it was from my coworkers who commute via our company's shuttle from SF. Someone had gotten on the wrong shuttle, IIRC. I don't know the details as I don't care and live 60 miles south of SF.

Funny enough, Googling for tesla employee shuttle san francisco turned up links like these:
    [PDF] Bay Area and LA Guide - Free Download PDF
    Tesla Shuttle Routes
    Tesla employee bus crashes into car, killing off-duty officer in California
    tesla motors employee shuttle on 280N

11. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

as a daily commuter on warm springs BART, I can tell you that all the FUD on this thread about BART is totally overblown, especially during business hours. BART is generally on time and safe. crowded during rush hour, but safe.

the shuttles are for employees only, i see a great deal of employees leaving the shuttles at the end of the day, but who knows, maybe you have a nice shuttle driver that is taking an empty shuttle back to factory.

walking is ok, about a mile if you walk around warm springs blvd to grimmer to fremont blvd, just be aware there is a lot of construction activity on grimmer, so one side of street does not have a sidewalk.

• Informative x 2
  12. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

FYI: warm springs BART station has 42 chargepoint L2 chargers, the only parking lot in their system with any chargers. fits the ethos of south fremont (with tesla right next door) well.

• Informative x 1
  13. azred

azred Member

Thanks, I imagine things can get a little hairy on any subway/other mass transit at night but I rode from the Coliseum to Market Street a couple weeks ago during the morning commute. As you noted, it was very crowded with mostly young commuters and even a few mothers with strollers. If I get lazy and decide not to walk, it does look like the 215 bus route mentioned above goes right past the Tesla front gate to BART Warm Springs.

14. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

I would try asking your DS if there was a way someone from sales could pick you up at the BART station. You are buying a very expensive car.

15. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

If you are picking up a car they will come and get you or pay for your transit. I live about 35 miles from the factory. When we picked up our Model S I called them to set up the time and they said they would pay for my taxi service from my house to the factory. They did it as soon as I got there.

• Helpful x 1