TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Warm-up before aggressive driving?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Haxster, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

ICE or not, I still feel reluctant to be aggressive with the car right after pulling it out of the garage.

I know there's no motor oil to warm up or circulate. No radiator coolant to stabilize warming engine parts...

But there are still lubricants in the motors, drive train, and suspension and possibly some cold-initialization issues with the battery management system and the inverter.

So am I being too old-school or should I just feel free to guiltlessly womp on it as soon as it's on the street?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I floored the accelerator as soon as I got mine delivered more than 4 years ago and I have not even worried about "warm up".

3. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

No you shouldn't have to wait for the car to "Warm up".

4. drklain

drklain Member

Depends on what you are going to do. As others have pointed out, the battery, contacts and motors don't need any warming up. The issue with warming up the oil in an ICE engine is that the oil gets thinner as the temperature comes up to operating temp and then you've got ideal oil spray patterns and distribution throughout the engine case and transmission (as well as the other known things about the engine heating up, expansion of components, etc.). None of that happens with electric motors.

On the other hand, there are other things in a Tesla that can benefit from a bit of warm up to maximize performance. Things like warming up the tires to ensure maximum adhesion to the road for example (it's why race cars wind back and forth in the lap before a race starts...it warms the rubber up). But from a drive train perspective, I agree there is no benefit of "warming up the car" in the traditional sense (i.e., start the car and just sit there).

• Like x 1
  5. Haxster

Haxster Member

The car is so quiet! I can rev it in neutral and hardly hear more than the sound of my shoe rubbing on the go pedal o_O

Seriously, when carefully backing out of my tight garage space, it feels like a boat, gliding silently after a blip of the throttle.

• Funny x 1
  6. TR5642

TR5642 Member

I have yet to figure out the full parameters for warming up the battery. Now that we are in 'brutal' cold here in northern CA, I frequently get the dotted yellow on the regen gauge and a warning triangle at the end of the power segment. Does anyone have the specifics of what it takes to clear those? Sometimes it happens fairly fast and others it is miles

7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

There are lots of threads on this. I'll give you some of the details quickly.

--Range Mode On will cause the battery to warm much more slowly when driving, as it is not being heated separately
    --Charging the car just prior to departure is the best way to warm the battery
    --With range mode off, pre-heating the cabin will also heat the battery some.

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

There is no engine oil, but there is still oil in the transmission/diff unit. Its not going to make a huge difference if its warm or not, but it will effect things a tiny bit. Same thing for the shocks and brakes, and of course the battery doesn't like being cold.

If you're just normally driving I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're going to a track or something and its a super cold day (which would seem rather unlikely) I'd drive it around a bit before doing any hot laps.

9. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

I don't worry about the warm up other than to take it easy on the car for the sake of the bearings, suspension, tires and brakes for the first couple of blocks. Then, I drive it pretty normally.

The absence of regen due to cold weather is reduced if you can time the charging to complete just before you go. Presently, I sometimes calculate the charge rate (current) down to a point where my charging stops before I leave. Personally, I would love to be able to program a start charge where I get to a minimum SOC, then have the charging stop (as per usual) but then 1 hour before I am scheduled to leave, the car starts a top up charge cycle so that I get that battery warmed up to enable normal regen from the beginning of my drive. I am sure this can be done with an app.

10. croman

croman Active Member

Based on my prior EV experience, I believe the battery is inefficient when "cold." I live in Chicago so I know a thing or two about dealing with cold soaked batteries. I would wait a minimum of two minutes before really exerting myself on my car unless I knew I had been charging it for 2 hours before and cabin heated for 15 minutes. If you gun it and the power bar hits the yellow triangle exclamation point of limitation, clearly it can't be great for the car. Its telling you it can't do what you're trying to make it do (take more power from battery for drivetrain).

• Like x 1
  11. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

And hence the software-limited dotted yellow lines that prevent you from doing harm to the batteries. I think that we have to trust the SW engineers at Tesla to keep the car operating in the safe ranges and not try to out-guess what is inherently designed into the car. The vehicle is supposed to be more care-free than having to worry about all the technical details of operating it. Do we want to run Launch mode in -20C weather right from the start? I should hope not. Do we think we must baby the car at the beginning? I guess I won't hurt if we do, but not at the expense of slowing traffic or be a hindrance to our fellow cars around us. Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

• Informative x 1
  12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Punch it. Anytime. Every time.

• Funny x 1
  13. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I was waiting for me wife to get ready and told her I was angrily revving the car.