Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warming battery icon in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this new Icon after the last Software version 2020.48.12.1update. Could it finally be the battery warmer notification I always wanted?
0A76EB93-9AD0-4A9F-AF7C-F277649F2FF9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: silverstoned83
Is this documented in ANY release notes?
It was mentioned in the app documentation 3 years ago when it was first added for the S & X in 2017.50:
When temperatures are near freezing, preconditioning will also heat your battery for better driving and charging performance. We recommend you plug in to reduce range loss, and start pre-conditioning about an hour before you plan to leave since it can take some time to warm up the battery in colder weather. Note: Requires vehicle software version 2017.50 or above.

Thank you, the "hour before" departing is new to NEWB's like me, I have been pre-conditioning for 10 or 15 minutes. This is good to know,

Again thanks
We typically just schedule our cars to finish charging before we leave in the morning so the battery is usually already heated up. I never precondition my cabin and rarely see the icon showing the battery is being preconditioned. If it's a holiday or weekend and I haven't charged or driven in a day or two, then I might see the icon if the battery is cold enough.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
We typically just schedule our cars to finish charging before we leave in the morning so the battery is usually already heated up. I never precondition my cabin and rarely see the icon showing the battery is being preconditioned. If it's a holiday or weekend and I haven't charged or driven in a day or two, then I might see the icon if the battery is cold enough.

we are retired so we have no schedule, but when we want to go some where we go. Hence my casual approach to pre-conditioning.

Thank you, the "hour before" departing is new to NEWB's like me, I have been pre-conditioning for 10 or 15 minutes. This is good to know,

Again thanks
There are a lot of factors, but an hour of pre-conditioning is a bit overkill for most situations. If temps are around freezing and the car is parked in a garage, 15-20 minutes will be fine. This will use around 2 kW of energy to get the battery temps to around 65-70F. No need to spend 60 minutes and 8 kW to get the batteries to 80-85F. It'll just end up cooling off to 65F.

What’s interesting to note is that if you start to precondition the cabin and it’s cold enough that battery heating icon will show up. Now if you stop the cabin precondition the battery STILL will heat for approximately 20 to 30 minutes before disappearing in the app.

Teslafi will report the vehicle is “charging” and estimated completion will be 30 minutes.... even if you have the charge limit set to 75% and your SOC is 75%. It either is a bug, or the vehicle appears to warm the battery for a set amount of time or to a set point temperature...