Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warming up Car Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge to 90% nightly on a 48A 240V circuit, so my charge is usually complete by 9-10pm. I see reduced regen every morning, but it's a little colder here in NC.

Even if I pre-heat the cabin, I'm still experiencing reduced range and regen from a battery with 10-12 hours of moderate cold soaking. Nothing as bad as sub freezing temps, but low 30s and 40s.

Definitely looking forward to being able to pre-heat the battery on wall power. I won't use it every day, but I will definitely use it for trips where I can skip a supercharger stop that might be 15-20 minutes off my travel route.

Try setting the car to charge later at night... I set mine so that it starts at about 3AM and finishes just before I need to leave for work. This limits the times I see reduced regen. I am in Raleigh so similar temps etc. You can start the charge at night and see how long it is projected to take to determine what time to set the charge timer for.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I am thinking of trying this:
I'll set the limit to, say, 70-80% for overnight charging and then in the morning 30-40 minutes before leaving I will change the limit to 90% and will initiate the charging. I am hoping by the time I am ready to leave the battery will be warm enough.
This way, I don't have to estimate the charge time, I am guaranteed to have at least 70-80% and I can keep charging up to the minute I am ready to drive.
You think this will help?

Last edited:
I am thinking of trying this:
I'll set the limit to, say, 70-80% for overnight charging and then in the morning 30-40 minutes before leaving I will change the limit to 90% and will initiate the charging. I am hoping by the time I am ready to leave the battery will be warm enough.
You think this will help?
I have done this as well. It will help, though depending on how cold it may not stop the regen limit completely.

Reactions: DriveMe
Do you have "smart" pre-conditioning enabled?
I do and it appears to be relatively smart. I might try turning it off for a while to see how cold the car is with it disabled. For me though, I'm a lot less interested in the cabin temp, since that's easily fixed with seat warmers or turning on climate 30min before I leave. I'm most interested in being able to pre-heat the battery and minimize the range loss in the winter months.

I charge to 90% nightly on a 48A 240V circuit, so my charge is usually complete by 9-10pm. I see reduced regen every morning, but it's a little colder here in NC.

Ah - I should have mentioned, I start charging on my 40A/240V 14-50 at midnight. My usual 60-80mile charge is complete by 3AM-4AM. So it sits for about 3-4hrs before I drive off.

I like to maximize the time the car spends at close to mid-level SOC. So when I reach home with about 50% charge left, I let it sit on that charge (& plugged in of course) as long as possible before charging to 90%.

Agree with previous posts that I miss the option in the UI to select the charge end-time. So if I could say, end charge by 6AM, that would be much more convenient for me. Our Leaf had this option and we liked it.

I'd be worried about a power cut leaving with not enough at the start of my journey. I would favour "Charge to 80% at the earliest opportunity, and top-off to 90% (or more) based on my leaving time. Worst case I'd have 80% for sure.

But it completely fails the KISS principle of course ...
Tesla will be happy to sell you a powerwall to make sure you never run out of juice at home :).

Fully agree - Tesla should have had years of knowledge on how to keep the battery in optimum range when plugged in - be it summer or winter, parked indoor or outdoors.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Tesla will be happy to sell you a powerwall to make sure you never run out of juice at home

Indeed :) and good point, hadn't considered that, however on reflection:

Power available at midnight, no power available at 04:00

House Battery fully charged at 04:00

Scenario 1: Car 80% charged at midnight, wanting to charge to 90% by 6:00

I have a choice (except I don't want anyone waking me up to ask me!). Skip the top-up charge, or take the 10% from the house battery.

Scenario 2: Car not charged at midnight, wanting to charge from X% to 90% by 6:00

Now the only option is to charge (to at least 80%) from battery

What if the powercut goes on all day? I'l like to have power in the house battery to cover that ...

I think I would still prefer to charge the battery to 80% at midnight, and top-up-charge to 90% to finish at 06:00 - except that I now need the added non-KISS option of choosing "Only if there is GRID power" ...

I have no idea how the complexity of all this will be solved ... plus I need to know if it will be Sunny so that my PC can charge the battery and give me more options ...

...presumably just ride-hail an Autonomous car? :)

I do and it appears to be relatively smart. I might try turning it off for a while to see how cold the car is with it disabled. For me though, I'm a lot less interested in the cabin temp, since that's easily fixed with seat warmers or turning on climate 30min before I leave. I'm most interested in being able to pre-heat the battery and minimize the range loss in the winter months.
I've installed the Dashboard for Tesla app and there is a smart-charging feature which will allow you to program your car to complete charging to coincide with your morning departure. (Not free...)

I find that the app does not take into account that the battery could be significantly cold-soaked at the time when it need to start charging and so you need to allow for an extra 90 minutes in -20C (0F) temperatures with a completely soaked battery to allow the heater to heat the battery before putting in significant charge with a wall connector. So it may start with only 10A/6mi/hr charge and progressively ramp up over a 3-4hr timespan at those temperatures.

This morning: -14C (10F) weather I left 45 minutes after charging had completed and after a single floored acceleration to 130kph (85mph) and had full 60kW regen available, meaning battery temp was at 10C (42-45F). So battery was pretty much the right temperature using this strategy.

And Dashboard will do the math of when to launch recharge instead of you having to go back to the car to manually program a recharge based on the expected time after a minute or two of sample-charging. As I said though, it does not account for cold soak, you need to factor in extra time for that.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
Ahh but what does everyone do when the car has been sitting in the parking lot at the office through the day and is now starting the drive home at -10C(14F) to -25C(-13F)....?
Drives me to distraction sometimes when i'll start the 125km (77.6 Miles) highway journey home and will spend the first 40 - 50 km (25-30 Miles)with little to no regen available. Also starting to be a bit more of a concern now that I approach three years on this battery at 138,000km (85,749 Miles), i'm starting to see slightly reduced rated range, and then lose range for winter tires, defrost, wipers, and the car sitting outside for seven or eight hours.
Have thought of trying, however haven't been able to yet this season, to plug into a 110 outlet at work so the car just trickle charges all day, however perhaps that would keep the battery warm and i wouldn't lose so much range heading home with having zero regen for so long.
This may be something that belongs in a different thread however the subject caught my interest and everyone was just talking about how they start their day, where i'm curious about how it finishes....

Reactions: phaduman
Downloading current Android Tesla app and What's New says this:

When temperatures are near freezing, preconditioning will also heat your battery for better driving and charging performance. We recommend you plug in to reduce range loss, and start pre-conditioning about an hour before you plan to leave since it can take some time to warm up the battery in colder weather. Note: Requires vehicle software version 2017.50 or above.

In addition, you can now swipe to switch between your vehicles and energy products.

Reactions: Not1Drop
what does everyone do when the car has been sitting in the parking lot at the office through the day and is now starting the drive home at -10C(14F) to -25C(-13F)....?

I plug it in ... but then I am in control of which parking place has a charging socket :)

Badger the people at work? There might be either Eco Back-Patting or local grants available that make it worthwhile for them to do?

the first 40 - 50 km (25-30 Miles)with little to no regen available

Bjorn posted a video recently of repeatedly Sprint/Regen to get battery warm. AFAIK he has not compared that against steady-state driving, so I don't know if it makes a tangible difference. Or ... "Dad: should I warm the battery before revving the motor hard?" :p

Reactions: Not1Drop
Here's Tesla's guidance:

BEST PRACTICES
You can precondition your Tesla anytime, anywhere—even in garages and other closed spaces. Here are a few best practices for improving your car’s performance in cold weather:

• Precondition your car for approximately one hour to heat your battery before you plan to drive, especially in near freezing temperatures
  • Charge your car while preconditioning to reduce the amount of energy loss from your battery pack
  • Turn off Range Mode to avoid limiting the power available to precondition your car—even when charging
Setting a higher cabin temperature on the mobile app will not precondition your battery faster. Also, enabling “Max Battery Power” in performance cars will not precondition the car any faster, but will increase the maximum temperature your battery will operate at.

More here.