Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warming up the battery before driving in winter conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I preheat anytime when I would be cold just sitting in the car. That's usually 12C or less. As it gets colder, I preheat longer/warmer. My car is outside so it gets colder than a garaged car.

I plan to buy an S85D for my 31st Birthday next January and I have a question regarding Model S in cold weather/charging/pre-heating. I currently rent a bedroom in a 5-bedroom house and the garage is reserved for the owner, so I was planning on buying one of those 'car parking tent' things you can prop up in your driveway/wherever. Charging is not the problem as the SuperCharger here in Golden, BC is ridiculously close to where I live, I'm just wondering if not being in a 'sealed' garage will adversely affect the S (seeming as it would be slightly exposed to the elements in a car parking tent). I've read all the post's in this topic, it's just that most of you store your MS in your garage, and I plan to have it 'outside' in my 'tent'.

Thanks folks - I am just looking forward to spring and wondering when there is no longer any point in preheating. My current morning routine is to grab my phone and turn on preheating right after I wake up. I generally leave about 30 mins later.

Shawn, I understand there are even owners in Norway who keep their Model S outside in the winter, however they keep the car plugged in at night, and not on 110V but on 220/240V. I think that is important.

I'm just wondering if not being in a 'sealed' garage will adversely affect the S (seeming as it would be slightly exposed to the elements in a car parking tent). I've read all the post's in this topic, it's just that most of you store your MS in your garage, and I plan to have it 'outside' in my 'tent'.

And not any 240v! I use a 240v/15A and the car keeps stopping the charger when it's really cold (-15C and less). I woke up a few times and realized that the charging has stopped at some point in the middle of the night. To resume, I have to heat the battery using energy from the battery itself before the charging resumes and then stops after an hour or two (very frustrating). Some people reported the same behavior with NEMA 14-50 when the car is outdoor and the temperature is extremely cold.

Shawn, other than keeping the snow off of your car, I'm not sure the tent will do too much good...given the choice, I would rather have the car plugged in and parked outside (even at 110v...better than nothing), than in the tent structure but not plugged in...

I plan to buy an S85D for my 31st Birthday next January and I have a question regarding Model S in cold weather/charging/pre-heating. I currently rent a bedroom in a 5-bedroom house and the garage is reserved for the owner, so I was planning on buying one of those 'car parking tent' things you can prop up in your driveway/wherever. Charging is not the problem as the SuperCharger here in Golden, BC is ridiculously close to where I live, I'm just wondering if not being in a 'sealed' garage will adversely affect the S (seeming as it would be slightly exposed to the elements in a car parking tent). I've read all the post's in this topic, it's just that most of you store your MS in your garage, and I plan to have it 'outside' in my 'tent'.