Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Warming up" when trying to use Smart Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

So.. I've never had this issue before when using Smart Summon. But when I try to activate it, I get a forever message of "Warming up...". It only goes away when I get inside my vehicle, then the app will give me the option to actually activate Smart Summon.

I only JUST started experiencing this issue since being upgraded to HW 3.0.

Does anyone else have this issue, and if so... does anyone know how to fix it?

I don't use Summon or Smart Summon but was just reading about the it last night in the Manual. Recalled the "warming up" period. Maybe this will be helpful?

"Standby Mode

To keep Model 3 ready to Summon and reduce the time it takes to warm up, turn on Standby Mode. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Customize Summon > Standby Mode. When Standby Mode is turned on, you can conserve Battery energy by disabling Standby Mode at these locations:
  • Exclude Home - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Home in your Favorites list.
  • Exclude Work - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Work in your Favorites list.
  • Exclude Favorites - Disables Standby Mode at any location in your Favorites list.
Note: To conserve energy, Smart Summon automatically exits Standby mode from midnight to 6:00 am. During these hours, you will experience a delay as Smart Summon starts up.

Note: Additional battery power may be consumed while Standby Mode is active."

I don't use Summon or Smart Summon but was just reading about the it last night in the Manual. Recalled the "warming up" period. Maybe this will be helpful?

"Standby Mode

To keep Model 3 ready to Summon and reduce the time it takes to warm up, turn on Standby Mode. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Customize Summon > Standby Mode. When Standby Mode is turned on, you can conserve Battery energy by disabling Standby Mode at these locations:
  • Exclude Home - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Home in your Favorites list.
  • Exclude Work - Disables Standby Mode at the location you set as Work in your Favorites list.
  • Exclude Favorites - Disables Standby Mode at any location in your Favorites list.
Note: To conserve energy, Smart Summon automatically exits Standby mode from midnight to 6:00 am. During these hours, you will experience a delay as Smart Summon starts up.

I knew about standby mode, just never seen this "warming up" message on HW2.5. Ah well i think my new HW3.0 computer is messed anyways.

I have the same problem with Smart Summon. Tried it Wed. and got the "warming up" notice but then tried Summon to back the car out of the parking spot and it worked. Haven't tried Standby mode to keep it "warm". I am usually in parking lots that are always busy and I don't feel comfortable using Smart Summon when there are lots of cars and people around. Everything else with my retrofit seems good :)

• Informative
Reactions: McFlurri
I have the same problem with Smart Summon. Tried it Wed. and got the "warming up" notice but then tried Summon MyFedLoan to back the car out of the parking spot and it worked. Haven't tried Standby mode to keep it "warm". I am usually in parking lots that are always busy and I don't feel comfortable using Smart Summon when there are lots of cars and people around. Everything else with my retrofit seems good :)

Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up.

Hey Everyone,

So.. I've never had this issue before when using Smart Summon. But when I try to activate it, I get a forever message of "Warming up...". It only goes away when I get inside my vehicle, then the app will give me the option to actually activate Smart Summon.

Model 3 Mid-Range Oct 2018 build here with FSD. Upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3 just performed in February 2020. Once my cameras recalibrated and I was able to try Smart Summon again, I also found my app screen stuck on "Warming up...". I tried regular summon and it worked fine. I tried separate attempts with Standby mode on and off with no luck. I reinstalled the app, re-assigned my phone as key, and reset the bluetooth connection. All those failed to fix the problem. However, I did a hard restart of the car and that fixed it (see Option 4 at Reboot instructions for your Tesla - Tesla Info). After the Option 4 restart, the "Warming up..." issue went away. I made sure to sit in the car and listen for everything to shut down for at least 3 minutes as instructed in the link. Unlike what you reported though, I have not had any other autopilot issues since the HW3 upgrade. I just thought I'd post in case this could help others with this issue.

Reactions: Axoss2

"Standby Mode

The latest update fixed the always failing on the first try problem

Hey Everyone,

Hi. Yes I too am having this issue. Tesla Mobile service is on their way to my home for the 2nd time re: this issue. It’s funny (not ha, ha) that summons seems to work fine, but the Smart Summons isn’t. I read a blog from 2019 where the author suggested removing the usb flash drive and doing a hard reset, which I tried. It seemed to. Work once and the not again. I hope the technician today has some better ideas. I have a 2021 Model 3.

Hi. Yes I too am having this issue. Tesla Mobile service is on their way to my home for the 2nd time re: this issue. It’s funny (not ha, ha) that summons seems to work fine, but the Smart Summons isn’t. I read a blog from 2019 where the author suggested removing the usb flash drive and doing a hard reset, which I tried. It seemed to. Work once and the not again. I hope the technician today has some better ideas. I have a 2021 Model 3.
So the technician just left. After taking the Model 3 to a nearby grocer store parking lot, this is the outcome. First he asked me to sign out of my account on the app. Then he did a hard reset disconnecting the + battery cable and unplugging the plug to the main battery. After letting it sit for a couple of minutes, he reconnecting the plug and the cable. It worked once, but then back to the same issue. By circumstance we discovered if we pushed and held the forward button for the summons feature and let the car move forward a little bit, then the smart summons feature became available. We tested it several times and it continued to work. He recommended using the Go To Target -vs- Come To Me as the car’s path wold be more predictable.

Reactions: Axoss2
Havin
So the technician just left. After taking the Model 3 to a nearby grocer store parking lot, this is the outcome. First he asked me to sign out of my account on the app. Then he did a hard reset disconnecting the + battery cable and unplugging the plug to the main battery. After letting it sit for a couple of minutes, he reconnecting the plug and the cable. It worked once, but then back to the same issue. By circumstance we discovered if we pushed and held the forward button for the summons feature and let the car move forward a little bit, then the smart summons feature became available. We tested it several times and it continued to work. He recommended using the Go To Target -vs- Come To Me as the car’s path wold be more predictable.
Having this same issue. Seems like more of a work around than an actual fix from what you’re describing , my smart summon once worked perfectly fine and now I see is warming up. Gonna stop by the service center Thursday to see what I can get done. I’ll keep you guys updated

yea i’ve been having the same “warming up” forever issue despite keeping standby on. I also stumbled into the workaround where if I regular summon forward and back for a few feet, then all the smart summon stuff suddenly clicks back online, but this is very far from a solution to the problem with this fun feature that has been a slick party trick for a while now lol I hope it’s fixed soon. also, while I mostly love the app redesign, but some parts seem slightly worse, like making it several more steps (taps) to get to the “come to me” option (for whenever they get it working properly again) when it used to be a tappable option directly from app launch. and other small annoyances that are not relevant to this thread.

FYI - Tesla just told me its a bug in the car firmware.

Screenshot_20210917-103136_Tesla.jpg