Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning!! 2021.4.6 - autosteer disengages without input!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just the normal chime when it disengages. No prior warning
hmmm ok. I guess I have a different definition of dangerous. If I have my hands on the wheel like I am supposed to, then it wouldn't be dangerous to me. Are you sure you didn't tap the brake without intending to? You can call it fishing for reasons, but most of us are trying to help figure out the reason. :)

hmmm ok. I guess I have a different definition of dangerous. If I have my hands on the wheel like I am supposed to, then it wouldn't be dangerous to me. Are you sure you didn't tap the brake without intending to? You can call it fishing for reasons, but most of us are trying to help figure out the reason. :)
The reason is software development departments not testing updates before releasing. Its a problem across so many companies today. I lay most of the blame on Samsung, with the Galaxy S2/S3 phone - it’s fundamental to have specs on paper & to hell whether they work in actuality. And everyone followed suit, even Apple

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
I'm not sure what's so surprising here. Autosteer disengages if it's no longer confident it knows where the lane is, usually because it can't see the lines anymore. It's not some new thing, and I can't see why that's so unexpected.
Wrong. It firsts warns & when you force the steering wheel it disengages.
Regardless, re-read my first post - it’s a location with lane lines

Wrong. It firsts warns & when you force the steering wheel it disengages.
Regardless, re-read my first post - it’s a location with lane lines

Not my experience, AP chime and disengage are simultaneous, and not just with this software version.

With that being said, I noticed a lower tolerance of the system with 2021.4.6: AP appears not to see road lines as well as it used to, BUT it also appears more confident on roads it “knows”, if that makes sense.

@Nucelar Fusion, maybe you should drop the attitude. After all you asked for help, gave no specs and left the community to figure out the details of your “problem”.

Remember the ABC: always be courteous.

Sounds like a faulty torque sensor in your steering wheel. Going from AP engaged to TACC only with the ding-dong chime is what normally happens when you start turning the steering wheel with AP engaged. The vibrations in the road or weight of the wheel itself is tripping yours way too easily.

Other people here aren't reading the details and I can see why you're frustrated. "Tapping the brake" would disengage TACC. Bad lane lines or dirty cameras would trigger the "Take over immediately" alarm. The only thing that makes TACC stay on with just a ding-dong chime when AP disengages is turning the wheel. So time for a service center visit to replace the torque sensor! It's not the first time a user in this site has seen this issue

Last edited:
Not my experience, AP chime and disengage are simultaneous, and not just with this software version.

With that being said, I noticed a lower tolerance of the system with 2021.4.6: AP appears not to see road lines as well as it used to, BUT it also appears more confident on roads it “knows”, if that makes sense.

@Nucelar Fusion, maybe you should drop the attitude. After all you asked for help, gave no specs and left the community to figure out the details of your “problem”.

Remember the ABC: always be courteous.

You could argue that, it’s not that it sees the lines less. But perhaps it increased the threshold of confidence needed to continue on AutoSteer. Everything is scored, nothing is black and white, with lots of thresholds.

I did see one section road that the paint lines were completely worn away. Maybe a bridge that was worked on. And it started beeping but never disengaged. But if it went on much longer I think it would have. I don’t recall it doing it in that spot before. But it’s been a while since I traveled that spot. So it could be road work, winter sanding or code bring more strict. But overall it drove great.

Hands were not
Sounds like a faulty torque sensor in your steering wheel. Going from AP engaged to TACC only with the ding-dong chime is what normally happens when you start turning the steering wheel with AP engaged. The vibrations in the road or weight of the wheel itself is tripping yours way too easily.

Other people here aren't reading the details and I can see why you're frustrated. "Tapping the brake" would disengage TACC. Bad lane lines or dirty cameras would trigger the "Take over immediately" alarm. The only thing that makes TACC stay on with just a ding-dong chime when AP disengages is turning the wheel. So time for a service center visit to replace the torque sensor! It's not the first time a user in this site has seen this issue
If bad lane lines and dirty camera’s are disengaging the system, then any clues what the plan is for when these cars magically become robo-taxi?

If bad lane lines and dirty camera’s are disengaging the system, then any clues what the plan is for when these cars magically become robo-taxi?

I’d be happy with just highway. I think eventually they can track other cars for lanes. But what if there are no lines and no cars, not easy even for a human to stay in a lane at night in those situations.

Might be more dynamic info the car gets to know if a road is safe. Basically what Cadillac does now. Robo taxis won’t happen for another decade.

I would imagine this would be a significant issue if you took your hands off the wheel, but thankfully, you would have your hands on the wheel the whole time, along with paying full attention to the road as per the manual and messages that come up on the display when engaging autopilot.

And you would be wrong, as it can happen on a curve on a narrow road, as happened to me with hands on the wheel

But earlier...

Hands were not touching the steering wheel

Not really sure what to make of this? I could be wrong, but it sounds like OP isn't keen on facts getting in the way of a good whinge.

But earlier...

Not really sure what to make of this? I could be wrong, but it sounds like OP isn't keen on facts getting in the way of a good whinge.
It’s because things that are fairly obvious, have to be dumbed down to other people
It’s why you get questions like “you sure your hands didn’t nudge the wheel”, “you sure your foot didn’t accidentally touch the brake pedal”, etc, together with the holier than thou statements of “well in my country you have to keep your eyes on the road”

I’m planning on colonising another planet to start over
Come with?

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile

What's with your reading comprehension. We proved it's NOT lane lines and dirty cameras in this case. Those don't make a ding-dong disengagement. And elon has addressed this before, FSD doesn't rely on lane lines to map its drivable surface, and there are two computers running in parallel, 4 different cameras assigned to each, to compare their driving solutions, so if one set of cameras is bad you have backup.

What's with your reading comprehension. We proved it's NOT lane lines and dirty cameras in this case. Those don't make a ding-dong disengagement. And elon has addressed this before, FSD doesn't rely on lane lines to map its drivable surface, and there are two computers running in parallel, 4 different cameras assigned to each, to compare their driving solutions, so if one set of cameras is bad you have backup.
I asked a question based on another persons post. Actually I asked it immediately after the post so nothing had been proven at that point, but hey thanks for the agressive answer. Some of us dont spend all day reading everything elon musk says.
But if I may ask a further question, what happens if the computer fails that does the left front camera. There is to my minimal knowledge no backup camera on the left front, so therefore no redundancy, or are the camera’s doubled?

Last edited:
I've had the same issue, at one particular place. Its on a well marked sweeping curve on a rather narrow and unforgiving tree lined road, and just disengages with a chime and no other warning. It seems quite dangerous as you need to take control immediately to get around the bend. I just downloaded 2021.4.10, so will test whether its fixed on my way home from work.