Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning about accepting delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who has refused delivery and also accepted delivery I have some advice:

The person doing delivery will agree with anything you point out at delivery and tell you all will be corrected in your first SC visit and that you have 100miles/7days to return the car so you should accept.

Know that you will not get a SC appointment within 7 days and when you appt does happen items on your list will be "in spec" and "no action taken" on your SC ticket.
So your panel gaps, light/door alignments etc can be up to 4mm off and they'll not correct them.

Tesla makes a big deal about touchless delivery/home delivery but do not accept delivery before fully inspecting the car inside and out! Once you accept your ability to get anything done is diminished substantially.

If practical, go to your SC, run through a full checklist. Make notes, take pictures and tell the SC what you want fixed. Email them the list and say I'll be back when you've done the repairs to accept delivery.
Note. They will tell you all of this will be done through the App but you'll have accept delivery to do it that way. Do not do that!

There's been a big improvement in quality this year but still many reports from latest builds of issues. Wait till later next year if you want but you're missing out on a truely amazing car now.
Just go prepared and make sure you'd accept 'your car' as it stands to avoid disappointment.

Good luck!

1000 miles / 7 day's

I agree with you - they will push you as much as they can to accept the delivery. Remember that when you return your car within 7 day's you will be refunded in 2-3 months only. You will continue to pay the loan at that time.

Touchless delivery is just an excuse in my perspective.

Great advice @Medic ... care to share your story?

Where did you take delivery of your MY?

Shared info where I thought it would be helpful in my posts.
To be clear, my views are generally applicable to all SCs and not intended to say one SC is better or worse than another.
SCs are in the same boat as customers getting variable quality from manufacturing overwhelming their abilty to spend time to prep the cars ahead of delivery let alone fix other issues.

Hope this helps, be prepared, and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
IMO, the issues, either way, will eventually get fixed. The bigger problem is what Tesla considers "within spec". It would be nice if they developed a new owner checklist and provided that at delivery which lists what to look for and what they consider for each item to be in spec. Doubtful that will occur and I would think there is a potential need for professional services to sprout up to handle delivery inspections.

IMO, the issues, either way, will eventually get fixed. The bigger problem is what Tesla considers "within spec". It would be nice if they developed a new owner checklist and provided that at delivery which lists what to look for and what they consider for each item to be in spec. Doubtful that will occur and I would think there is a potential need for professional services to sprout up to handle delivery inspections.

I think what you are describing is similar to what already exists elsewhere in the motor trade as a Pre-delivery Inspection and is carried out by the dealership before delivery. The PDI report is provided to the consumer to evidence the checks which have already been carried out.

The checklist on this forum is very useful for Tesla deliveries and in an ideal world would be embraced by Tesla as their own PDI, but we all know how much chance there is of that happening.

1000 miles / 7 day's

I agree with you - they will push you as much as they can to accept the delivery. Remember that when you return your car within 7 day's you will be refunded in 2-3 months only. You will continue to pay the loan at that time.

Touchless delivery is just an excuse in my perspective.
Have you gotten your refund yet? How long it took? I have returned mine on August 6th. So far nothing and I don't even know who to contact? I had ordered online and my DS quit/fired after taking delivery so don't know who my point of contact is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: chipcaldwell
Elon is well aware of these issues, but is in a bit of a pickle.

If they take the time to make all their cars fit & finish perfect, they will bottleneck and they will not be able to make enough cars to remain profitable and perhaps go out of business.

There is intense demand for their cars and they want to run their factories at the optimal production volume. If they delayed deliveries too long, buyers will drop off and again, the business may fail.

Current policy is to make the cars "pretty good" and for buyers where panel gaps and fittment is critical, they will address those in their service centers, post delivery. If a customer rejects a car, they will themselves send the car to be corrected, and present it to the next anxious buyer in line.

This allows buyers to get their cars faster, the company to remain in business and the profitability to keep the stock prices up and financial markets available for expansion funding.

Bob Lutz is famous for his quote that "Too much quality can kill you" is a reality, and Elon knows that he must acknowledge reality.

Long term, Tesla knows they need to make their cars fit & finish better. They have programs in place, and quality has indeed improved in many places, but still some still are presented to customers with issues.

Seems like the cars coming off the line in China are better built than the ones from Fremont. Maybe those assembly people need to step up their game and take more pride in their work. Imagine Germany will show even more improvement, with the newest technology (expensive) paint processes. Their workforce is famous for turning out precision products.

Elon is well aware of these issues, but is in a bit of a pickle.

If they take the time to make all their cars fit & finish perfect, they will bottleneck and they will not be able to make enough cars to remain profitable and perhaps go out of business.

There is intense demand for their cars and they want to run their factories at the optimal production volume. If they delayed deliveries too long, buyers will drop off and again, the business may fail.

Current policy is to make the cars "pretty good" and for buyers where panel gaps and fittment is critical, they will address those in their service centers, post delivery. If a customer rejects a car, they will themselves send the car to be corrected, and present it to the next anxious buyer in line.

This allows buyers to get their cars faster, the company to remain in business and the profitability to keep the stock prices up and financial markets available for expansion funding.

Bob Lutz is famous for his quote that "Too much quality can kill you" is a reality, and Elon knows that he must acknowledge reality.

Long term, Tesla knows they need to make their cars fit & finish better. They have programs in place, and quality has indeed improved in many places, but still some still are presented to customers with issues.

Seems like the cars coming off the line in China are better built than the ones from Fremont. Maybe those assembly people need to step up their game and take more pride in their work. Imagine Germany will show even more improvement, with the newest technology (expensive) paint processes. Their workforce is famous for turning out precision products.
What when customer accepts the car and take DS/Manager's word that all issues will be addressed with service center and later on makes a U turn saying no guarantee these issues will be fixed and if not acceptable return the car. Now getting refund is an entire other waiting game. Bottom line is either get it in writing or don't accept delivery.

Or how about a "Country of Origin" option?
Model Y Made in Germany +$1,500
Model Y Made in China +$1,000
Model Y Made in USA +$0.00
Hopefully factory of origin, as in quality will be better once intently built GigaFactories are online.

But I suspect it’ll mostly mean improved cost-cutting. Many of the issues are reflective of company ethos on lean manufacturing passing quality control to the consumer.

FFB20229-03E0-439D-ACE7-D38A4744C845.jpeg I’m a victim of accepting delivery and falling for the “everything” will be fixed at the SC.

On delivery day, I was excited and the car looked great for the most part due to being freshly washed. The sales associate reassured me that everything will be fixed so I felt better and accepted delivery.

I immediately took photos and even recorded a video of the issues such as
- missing front bracket over front cameras
- dangling cable
- panel alignment
- smudges interior and pillar misalignment

After capturing a few items on the app, my SC appointment wasn’t for another 3 weeks at which I have already racked over 1k miles.

At the appointment I went over everything and it took 3 days to complete. When I picked it up, I had to wait over an hour just for someone to pull out my vehicle. When I picked up the vehicle, no one walked me through what was completed or if I was satisfied. Just gave me my keycard and said bye.

Even when I serviced my Honda, I received a full walk through and complimentary wash. I don’t think we should feel entitled but I’m just disappointed with the level of customer service Tesla provides.

I inspected the vehicle and only a few items were corrected while everything else said it was “to spec”. I immediately told the service advisor to come out and inspect with me while comparing to a few other MY’s. He said it’s within spec and nothing else I could do or else the trunk will be pushed in. For the pillars, they had to re order and said mobile will handle it.

I am totally dissatisfied and have no choice but to be stuck with what I have. No quality assurance whatsoever

Attached are my photos. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• 9F5FDE53-BA05-4517-958D-8B34C0F10964.jpeg
    9F5FDE53-BA05-4517-958D-8B34C0F10964.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 5F64716E-A53F-482E-8DAA-2FE4D19CD16B.jpeg
    5F64716E-A53F-482E-8DAA-2FE4D19CD16B.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 532
  • 0F17CE90-522D-4FDD-B6AD-2D5EECCDE15D.jpeg
    0F17CE90-522D-4FDD-B6AD-2D5EECCDE15D.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 513
Have you gotten your refund yet? How long it took? I have returned mine on August 6th. So far nothing and I don't even know who to contact? I had ordered online and my DS quit/fired after taking delivery so don't know who my point of contact is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nope, still waiting. But I just got a call fro Tesla (after chatting with them) that they are working on it and they will reimburse my interest as well (!) - I would not hold the breath for that, but it was nice to hear :)

BTW, sorry for the typo - I returned my on July 6th, so about 40 days passed.

• Helpful
Reactions: am_dmd
View attachment 576747 I’m a victim of accepting delivery and falling for the “everything” will be fixed at the SC.

On delivery day, I was excited and the car looked great for the most part due to being freshly washed. The sales associate reassured me that everything will be fixed so I felt better and accepted delivery.

- dangling cable
- panel alignment

After capturing a few items on the app, my SC appointment wasn’t for another 3 weeks at which I have already racked over 1k miles.

At the appointment I went over everything and it took 3 days to complete. When I picked it up, I had to wait over an hour just for someone to pull out my vehicle. When I picked up the vehicle, no one walked me through what was completed or if I was satisfied. Just gave me my keycard and said bye.

Even when I serviced my Honda, I received a full walk through and complimentary wash. I don’t think we should feel entitled but I’m just disappointed with the level of customer service Tesla provides.

I inspected the vehicle and only a few items were corrected while everything else said it was “to spec”. I immediately told the service advisor to come out and inspect with me while comparing to a few other MY’s. He said it’s within spec and nothing else I could do or else the trunk will be pushed in. For the pillars, they had to re order and said mobile will handle it.

I am totally dissatisfied and have no choice but to be stuck with what I have. No quality assurance whatsoever

I had very similar issues (especially hatch). SC will not fix it, it is within 'Tesla spec'. The good news - car drives well even with such gaps.

View attachment 576747 I’m a victim of accepting delivery and falling for the “everything” will be fixed at the SC.

- dangling cable
- panel alignment

Sorry to hear what you had to go through and are probably still going through...gaps look wider than normal to me. What is you VIN range?