Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Acceleration Reduced Car May Not Restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I don't have pictures. The pictures I took on the Tesla App are not available. I received these two warnings along with dashed yellow lines beginning full scale left on the power meter and ending at about 100Kw and another dashed yellow line beginning at the bottom of the power meter arcing up to the 0Kw line.

I took pictures via the app and tried to schedule a service visit. The earliest was a mobile visit which I selected. I never used that appointment because while out, and trying to restart the car, everything died. I called Roadside before everything went black hoping for a solution. Unfortunately, he was able to see the 12v battery dying so he set up a $320 tow (better than the other $400 estimate; Melbourne, FL to Orlando). Tow driver gave us a lift home and two days later I secured a ride over to pick up a (Tesla 70D loaner, another story). This occurred on Sat 11/23

When Tesla Service called to say the vehicle was there and that they were going to keep me updated (on Monday 11/25) I mentioned that Roadside had said tow ins got a bump in the queue. Unfortunately, there were apparently a lot of tow ins because he said he would get it in the diagnostic queue as soon as possible. Remotely I could see the car status had not changed by 11/28 and checked in with service. They said probably after the weekend (11/30).

Finally diagnosed on 12/2 and the advisor said parts were ordered and to expect the car by week's end 11/6. That night I received a charging interrupted alert via the app and checked to see that they were actually doing something as the frunk showed open (replacing 12v) and the trunk was open (doing who knows what). Perhaps that is where the battery coolant heater is located because they replaced that.

They told me when that device failed the car shut down to protect the HV battery and that I didn't receive the 12v battery fail warning because the battery was fine until the systems shut down and the 12v then took the brunt of that power use and failed. I was waiting for the 12v warning which never came because of the reasons stated.

So, if you get this warning. I suggest not driving it unless you take it to the closest Service Center. If it dies enroute at least the tow bill should be less. And apparently, 12v batteries can die from other than natural causes.:( Parts over $500; labor over $400; towing $320.

Last edited:
I just had the same thing happen last night. Received a bunch of notifications on our drive home and when I parked, vehicle said it needed service, unable to restart.
I was hoping it was going to be a main battery issue, but after reading this, it sounds like this is going to be an out of warranty cost
IMG_20200112_160729.jpg
IMG_20200112_160729.jpg
IMG_20200112_171654.jpg
IMG_20200112_171654.jpg

mine was main battery and took 12v with it
I had the same thing happen. Received the car back on Thursday. New 60 battery remanufactured.

Charges to 325km at 100% & 292km at 90%. Previous battery charged to 305km & 275km at 100% & 90%

Haven't supercharged yet but I'm guessing it's going to be a little slower than before

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_165714.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165714.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 137