Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING against Michelin Cross Climate+ Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently needed to replace the rear tires on our X after getting about 20k miles on the Continental DWS06. I decided to go with the Michelin Cross Climate+ SUV as they appear to rate very well for snow as an all-season tire. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 on the front.

What’s happened since then, is the tire tread pattern is so dramatically different than the front that it has caused autopilot to wobble back and forth. The Tesla service tech confirmed this is the cause. Not only that, but it’s such a heavy/dramatic (not sure the word to use) tread pattern that our avg consumption since installing these rear tires is up to north of 450-500wh/mi in sport on the highway (not Ludicrous mode). Typically we see a little below 400wh/mi. It’s almost like how having off-road tires on an ICE can cause gas mileage to plummet.

I will have to replace these and just put the A/S3 on the rear. I just wanted to share a word of warning to others.

DA333E91-13C8-46C3-98E6-2EE88F276F5C.jpeg
A5FCD9CB-202F-46B9-982D-735ADC2F70EF.jpeg

I recently needed to replace the rear tires on our X after getting about 20k miles on the Continental DWS06. I decided to go with the Michelin Cross Climate+ SUV as they appear to rate very well for snow as an all-season tire. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 on the front.

You should never mix different tires on an AWD vehicle.

What’s happened since then, is the tire tread pattern is so dramatically different than the front that it has caused autopilot to wobble back and forth. The Tesla service tech confirmed this is the cause. Not only that, but it’s such a heavy/dramatic (not sure the word to use) tread pattern that our avg consumption since installing these rear tires is up to north of 450-500wh/mi in sport on the highway (not Ludicrous mode). Typically we see a little below 400wh/mi. It’s almost like how having off-road tires on an ICE can cause gas mileage to plummet.

I will have to replace these and just put the A/S3 on the rear. I just wanted to share a word of warning to others.

View attachment 448905 View attachment 448906

I my opinion, your big mistake was to only install two. You should never ever run two different models of tires--particularly summer and winter (most countries where winter tires are needed don't allow that kind of mismatch)--it's a sure recipe for failure. I haven't run those, but I have run the Nokian WR-3G (now 4G) for winter. They have very good rolling resistance and traction. SUV tires are always going to have more rolling resistance due to the heavier construction.

View attachment 448905 View attachment 448906

To my knowledge there are only two brands of tires APPROVED for the Model X. Continental and Pirelli
Anything else can put you at risk.

I agree the Continentals are worthless. Got about 20,000 miles before blowout and long tow. Continental would do NOTHING about.
Told me to get lost.

I have Continentals on my new RAVEN and can't wait for them to wear and replace with Pirellis. Not sure why Tesla chooses these substandard tires.

After Continental failures, had Pirellis on my 2016 Model X and they still had 6-7 of tread after 20,000 miles. Great tire. Great ride and guaranteed to 65,000 miles. $222 at Discount Tire vs. $400 for Continentals crap at TESLA NO BRAINER!

upload_2019-9-1_11-17-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-1_11-17-18.png
    upload_2019-9-1_11-17-18.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 127
To my knowledge there are only two brands of tires APPROVED for the Model X. Continental and Pirelli

I agree the Continentals are worthless. Got about 20,000 miles before blowout and long tow. Continental would do NOTHING about.
Told me to get lost.

I have Continentals on my new RAVEN and can't wait for them to wear and replace with Pirellis. Not sure why Tesla chooses these substandard tires.

After Continental failures, had Pirellis on my 2016 Model X and they still had 6-7 of tread after 20,000 miles. Great tire. Great ride and guaranteed to 65,000 miles. $222 at Discount Tire vs. $400 for Continentals crap at TESLA NO BRAINER!

View attachment 449068
VERY helpful, thanks so much! I’m going to ask the service center if I can run a square setup on the Model X (265 on front AND rear) before I give up on the A/S3+.

I my opinion, your big mistake was to only install two. You should never ever run two different models of tires--particularly summer and winter (most countries where winter tires are needed don't allow that kind of mismatch)--it's a sure recipe for failure. I haven't run those, but I have run the Nokian WR-3G (now 4G) for winter. They have very good rolling resistance and traction. SUV tires are always going to have more rolling resistance due to the heavier construction.

To be clear, the rears are not winter, they’re grand touring all season, but rated very well for winter according to Tire Rack’s rating.

To be clear, the rears are not winter, they’re grand touring all season, but rated very well for winter according to Tire Rack’s rating.
They are still quite different than the front. Tires are somewhat similar to wallpaper. Each batch may be different even if they are the same make and model of tire because the manufacturers change the specs arbitrarily. So tires should always be put on in sets of four (exception: staggered fitments). Mixing tires like that can really mess up the car's handling.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lhshockey24
They are still quite different than the front. Tires are somewhat similar to wallpaper. Each batch may be different even if they are the same make and model of tire because the manufacturers change the specs arbitrarily. So tires should always be put on in sets of four (exception: staggered fitments). Mixing tires like that can really mess up the car's handling.

This is a staggered setup though, and it’s annoying not many tires come in both 265 and 275. I like the Pirelli suggestion. It’s too bad the lease only has a year left so the 65K tread life isn’t as useful.

Reactions: Silicon Desert

Told me to get lost.

View attachment 449068

I’m on the Pirellis as well. My stock continentals only lasted 20k miles. Hoping these last more. I haven’t noticed a difference in noise level or efficiency, and happy with how they are handling.

Tesla Model X Wheels and Tires Specifications

I wonder if you are running 19", 20" or 22". From the specs you mentioned I'm guessing 20".

wow, just looked at tirerack and there are very few tires that work on the Model X, less on 19" than 20" but a slightly different mix.

If you are doing 20" the Crossclimate+ is the only all season option. If you are doing 19" the Perrilli SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON is the only all season option. All the 22" tires are performance not LRR / "Eco Focus".

I'd add my voice to everyone else in the thread that says; Put 4 of the same brand and style tire on there even if staggered by size between front and rear.

I’m on the Pirellis as well. My stock continentals only lasted 20k miles. Hoping these last more. I haven’t noticed a difference in noise level or efficiency, and happy with how they are handling.

I am sure the Pirelli's will last longer. I had 20k miles on mine when I sold the 2016 Model X and they still looked like new (6-7 rating).

Get this!!
I went in for repairs on my new Raven Model X with 2132 miles on it. The service rep came by to give me a report on my tires.
They were the factory Continental's and they were all at 7, yes 7 after 2132 miles. Someone out there getting a new X, check your tread.
Could Continental actually be issuing new tires with less tread???? I wouldn't be surprised. What a worthless company. Why Tesla would associate with them is beyond me.

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
Hard to say why. Goodyears on my raven model S and michelins on all the model 3.
No car manufacturer wants to be tied to a single supplier, because stuff happens, so they buy a certain amount from several. It's easiest, from a manufacturing point of view, to put one type on one production run.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy for your warning. I am still wondering what it would be like when installing 4 crossclimate.
One choice is safe bud older design with Pirelli all season while the other one is new design, Michelin Crossclimate SUV. which one would you choose? Open for suggestion?