Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning against touch based car washes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
YaMgIt5.jpg

Had no other option besides a car wash that uses spinning cloth like bristles
Damn thing broke my mirror off, it was hanging by the wires.
The store employee gave me some duct tape to hold it in place for the time being.

Question: I spoke to the employee and he called the manager and the manager said they'll pay for replacement. Talked to tesla and a replacement could take a while.
Is there a possibility the manager will tell me to **** off when I come in with the due bill in a few weeks?

That's what small claims court is for. You go. You say that their car wash broke off your mirror. It cost you ______ to get it fixed. Here's the bill. You paid it. You want to be reimbursed. And you want the court costs too now.

Keep your wash receipt.
Get names of folks you talk to.
Keep your pictures.

That's IF they won't make it good, but, of course, give them that chance.

Get it in writing or tape the conversation? You mention you had no other choice. How about hand washing it yourself or go to a hand wash car wash?

That's easy for you left coasters. Have you ever tried to wash a car in 30 degree weather?
I use car washes most of the year. Easy, quickest way to get a clean car. Unfortunately sometimes a mirror breaks :(

Or just waiting on getting it washed. I was too busy for a month and I drove a slightly dirty but otherwise beautiful car. Then I detailed the entire interior until it was as close to new as I could get it and hand washed the exterior. A ceramic coating and PPF will make it easier to clean and prolong the interval between hand washes.

That's easy for you left coasters. Have you ever tried to wash a car in 30 degree weather?
I use car washes most of the year. Easy, quickest way to get a clean car. Unfortunately sometimes a mirror breaks :(

I have and do but I admit that I did use an auto wash twice last winter. I generally hand wash if >40F. I bring hot water from inside and use 2 bucket system.

Regardless OP should be able to get compensation from car wash as their system was clearly defective.

I couldn't wash it myself unfortunately, I didn't want to use it but I did and now I'm in the situation I'm in.
I'm just worried they'll refuse to pay even though I have the pictures, I have the managers number and he said he would.
I have the receipt as well

Swear by laser touchless car wash since owner my my first Tesla. Have an unlimited use for $34 a month and average 2-5 times a week depending on the weather. Never had an issue even once in my 85D or 100D. Would never get near a brush wash or anythIng with a tire track either. Even if I had no choice that still wouldn’t be a choice.

Sorry for your damage tho. They should make
It good. Usually only aftermarket or loose things are not covered.

YaMgIt5.jpg

Had no other option besides a car wash that uses spinning cloth like bristles
Damn thing broke my mirror off, it was hanging by the wires.
The store employee gave me some duct tape to hold it in place for the time being.

Question: I spoke to the employee and he called the manager and the manager said they'll pay for replacement. Talked to tesla and a replacement could take a while.
Is there a possibility the manager will tell me to **** off when I come in with the due bill in a few weeks?

That happened to me twice going through those car wash place. Tesla side mirror are so weak. Anyhow, they are easily pop back in. Originally mine look like your. I thought it was broken, but it is easily pop in with the right force and angle.

The first time it happened to me, i freaked out. After 30 minutes trying to hold it in place so i can duct tape it I noticed it was a one of those interlocking type hold. So I slowly play with it to align it so it wouldn't rock back and forth, then apply a little pressure on top, pop it back in. Worked fine afterwards.

Forgotten I had that happen (stupid me) went through the car wash again...pop goes the weasel.

Since then, been self service car wash or call mobile detail to come to my house.

In researching and reading their manual, they said when you go through a car wash, you need fold the mirror in.

I like this video's tips to keep your Tesla clean and shiny.
3 tips relevant from the video to this thread,

1. Don't use touch based car washes.
2. Wash yourself is the best option
3. In winter, use heated pressure washer, before winter wax it slightly thicker than usual.

I've been using the various tips mentioned in the video, and 2 years later, car still looks new.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Did Tesla see it yet? As mentioned above might be able to be snapped in place with no parts needed.

If not, I'd ask staff for the manager's email address and send a note regarding the damage to your car's side view mirror. Per your conversation today with staff and the assurance that the car wash would pay for the damage caused by their equipment, you spoke to the dealership about arranging for the repair?/replacement? and were told it could take some time for the part/s to come in. As soon as it does you'll let them know. Include a photo of the damage.

That way you've established what happened in a timely fashion, made contact with the manager in writing (good you have the car wash receipt), and you'll see where you go from there. I will caution that while I haven't been at a car wash in a while don't they usually post language about damage to one's car? Might send a family member in to see what's posted so you have some idea if it might be contested. You should get a response from the manager if you send the email. Possible they'll just turn the bill into their insurance but you never know.

Can't remember what we got with our PUP package but are the mirrors heated? Not sure if standard but think the side mirrors are also self-dimming. Can't recall if there's suppose to be other electronics inside them. Make sure everything works at the end before resolving it with them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AMPd
@AMPd Did you have your mirrors folded when you went through the car wash?
No they were unfolded.

That happened to me twice going through those car wash place. Tesla side mirror are so weak. Anyhow, they are easily pop back in. Originally mine look like your. I thought it was broken, but it is easily pop in with the right force and angle.

The first time it happened to me, i freaked out. After 30 minutes trying to hold it in place so i can duct tape it I noticed it was a one of those interlocking type hold. So I slowly play with it to align it so it wouldn't rock back and forth, then apply a little pressure on top, pop it back in. Worked fine afterwards.

Forgotten I had that happen (stupid me) went through the car wash again...pop goes the weasel.

Since then, been self service car wash or call mobile detail to come to my house.

In researching and reading their manual, they said when you go through a car wash, you need fold the mirror in.
This worked!
It took a while and some force but I popped it in and everything works perfectly now!

Thank you!

Because I have 21's I NEVER go through an automatic car wash. Guaranteed rim damage. But to the point of this thread, I alway use the carwash the San Rafael Service Center uses. If there is a problem, I have some clout through Tesla. Also, these guys gladly hand wash my MS for the same price, so no rack, spinning brushes or anything else that would damage our cars.
Check with the SC and see who they use. If you are in Marin County IM me and I'll give you details. Glad you snapped the mirror back in. Takes care of that damage reimbursement mess.

Reactions: AMPd