Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning before you buy a tesla model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What hypothetical situation? Parts not shipping for a long time is an ongoing problem. Just because only relatively few people get into accidents, doesn't make it hypothetical. By your logic, why Tesla's high crash safety rating is useless and should be ignored, since the majority of people will never experience an accident where it's useful.

A lot of people buy cars fully ignorant of the crash ratings. Go ahead and ask your coworkers if they know the crash ratings for the vehicles they drive. The majority of people do not.

But yes, im not going to not buy a Tesla because the potential for a delay in parts, which Tesla/Elon already said they're addressing by moving body-shop repairs to in house.

The parts for a front fender repair for my Model S arrived at the authorised repairer in just over 6 weeks. In Europe. I was anticipating twice as long. Though I’d have been happier with a much shorter time.

It is longer than the week or two I’d anticipate for a regular car’s parts. But not unreasonable given the relative rarity of Teslas.

A lot of people buy cars fully ignorant of the crash ratings. Go ahead and ask your coworkers if they know the crash ratings for the vehicles they drive. The majority of people do not.

But yes, im not going to not buy a Tesla because the potential for a delay in parts, which Tesla/Elon already said they're addressing by moving body-shop repairs to in house.
Absolutely. Just like some people don't care about safety ratings, there are some who do care. Same about repairability, there are people who care. If you don't want to know, or simply don't care, skip over threads about it.

Maybe I don't understand the details, but why would the repair shop need to hold your car while waiting for parts, etc? If it is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the driveability, can't you continue to use your car while you wait for the parts to be delivered? Then bring it in for the repairs once you receive confirmation that the parts are available?
My car is also at a body shop that specializes in high end cars, including Tesla. They told me that I shouldn't drive the car despite minimal damage to the front bumper. They said it would affect battery and AC, if I drive the car (even to my home from the body shop!).

Reactions: PrGrPa
My car is also at a body shop that specializes in high end cars, including Tesla. They told me that I shouldn't drive the car despite minimal damage to the front bumper. They said it would affect battery and AC, if I drive the car (even to my home from the body shop!).
Unless if you busted your AC or Coolant radiators, there is no way the battery would be affected. Even without AC you would be fine if it's not super hot outside.

Would need to see pictures to know for sure. I drove mine around with 22K worth of door and rear fender damage (wind noise was stupid as hell, but i needed my car).

It’s been over 3 months and no end date in site. Was contacted last week saying the parts would ship 6/14, and again contacted today saying they would ship 6/19. I don’t understand the need for all the lying and false dates? Like what is going on that after 3 months of waiting, they decide to give me an actual date that Is not even real. I understand other people have these problems. I’ve never read it taking this long, and it was to my understanding that they had fixed this to some degree. I’m just letting people know that this is still an ongoing problem, and paying a 1200 dollar monthly car payment with no tesla to show for it while being given false information by the company is unreasonable. It’s something that would definitely impact my decision on buying a car. I gave it 3 full months before going on a rant, which is 2 months after the part was going to ship. Just a bit fed up.

It’s been over 3 months and no end date in site. Was contacted last week saying the parts would ship 6/14, and again contacted today saying they would ship 6/19. I don’t understand the need for all the lying and false dates? Like what is going on that after 3 months of waiting, they decide to give me an actual date that Is not even real. I understand other people have these problems. I’ve never read it taking this long, and it was to my understanding that they had fixed this to some degree. I’m just letting people know that this is still an ongoing problem, and paying a 1200 dollar monthly car payment with no tesla to show for it while being given false information by the company is unreasonable. It’s something that would definitely impact my decision on buying a car. I gave it 3 full months before going on a rant, which is 2 months after the part was going to ship. Just a bit fed up.

Include the car payment loss in your overall claim to your/their insurance company. Escalate, and retain a lawyer. If you're out 5k+ due to untimely repairs, best to get professional help to scrutinize the contract between yourself and your insurance company... or prepare a suit against Tesla. Thats what I would do (and did)

I was hit twice last year. Needed a new door and bumper cover. Parts were priced reasonably and were delivered quickly, but the certified shop price gouged me and the insurance company on the labor. I hope the "Tesla" body shops aren't planning on charging double the labor rate like their certified shops do.

Just writing to share an ongoing problem I'm having with my model S. I got in an accident in early March, and there were some dents/scratches on the back quarter panel of my model S. I took it to a repair shop and they said the part would ship April 10th, and my car would be ready by the 28th. It is now June 12th, and the part hasn't shipped yet. Finally on May 4th I emailed body shop support. They said they escalated it, and would get back to me. On may 7th I received this email:

Wanted to touch base with you.
The final two parts for your vehicle have been assigned for picking today.
They will ship out shortly.
I will update you once the shipment leaves our distribution center.
Please feel free to reach out with any quetsions or concerns.

I thought phew, it will be shipping soon. On May 16th I reached out after not hearing anything. No response. On May 20th I reached out again. No response. Finally on May 22nd I called them, and she said that it was not shipping out and she couldn't give me an ETA. On June 6th I emailed again to try to get a confirmation. Then on June 8th I got a reply saying the part would ship on June 14th. This is all well and good except the repair shop got ahold of me today, saying Tesla had talked to them yesterday and said that they don't even have the part in stock, and they will be arriving on June 25th. So body support has just been lying to me the whole time? I'm not really sure at this point. So my car has been out of commission for 3 months now, and I expect it to be out of commission for another month or 2.

So customer service handles this extremely poorly, and small accidents can have your car out of commission for many months. Until Tesla gets a handle on this, seems like a bad idea to buy a Tesla.
Your solution has a number of holes, but one that others haven't mentioned yet, what if the car has more than one driver? First driver agrees for all?