Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Bellevue Model S HPWC cable @ 72A gets VERY hot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I'm on .51 and got the prompt when I tried to push it above 60A. Thinking nothing of it for the heavily used Bellevue store location, I cranked it up as far as it would let me (72A). I then charged for roughly 40 minutes.

When I went to disconnect the cable it was very hot. Like "I forgot to put a saucer under the soup" hot.

FYI for those that might end up doing the same. Gloves recommended if you use the Bellevue charger above the 60A mark. I've charged there at least a dozen times at 60A and had no issue.

Note: I immediately called (before even driving out) the store to let them know about the issue so that they can address it but also add some warning signage in the near-term.

Brian,

Quick question, I've only charged at Bell Sq once on the HPWC and I only got 40A. Do I need to go into the settings to push it to 72A?

Does the car automatically set the safest setting or just the lowest setting?

Thanks in advance!

If you have the twin chargers, the car should automatically ramp up to the higher amp setting, but I think it will only go to 60 amps if it detects a HPWC right now. You would need to go in and manually change it on the touch screen to the 72 amps. I believe the hardware detects it's communicating with a HPWC and chooses the 60 amp setting because there is currently an issue with many of the HPWC's blowing fuses at higher a higher amp setting. It sounds like the Bellevue HPWC has been updated with the new fuses.

If you have a single on-board charger, 40 amps is the most you can pull from a charging station that is not a Supercharger.

I have noticed that my UMC plug seems to be getting hotter on a variety of higher amperage sources than it did when it was new. I am concerned that the contacts may get dirty over time from being bounce around in the trunk or subjected to environmental dust while being plugged in/unplugged.

Anyone else?

Could this be a general problem with the connector?