Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - Berekely homes is hostile towards electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a six month back'n'forth with Berekely homes regarding the installation of a charging point in my garage inside their car park they have refused to allow this (I live in a flat in central London). They have yet to give a valid reason and as the buildings leaseholder have shown no support what so ever. All other parties involved including the concil have approved and shown support, however, without the leaseholders consent it will never happen. Interestingly, they are more than happy to pander to the owners of ICE owners. My advice is to avoid this company if you can.

My advice is to avoid this company if you can.

Indeed. Is your roof firmly attached (ours wasn't)?

If you are planning to stay there long-term, you may want to get together with the other owners to form a management company and buy the freehold so that you can get rid of the taint of Berkley Homes for good. They are legally obliged to sell it to you if you can get 50% of the other owners on-side, and to offer you the option to do so before selling it to anybody else (though in our case, that didn't stop Berkley Homes hastily selling to someone else and then having to reverse that transaction when we pointed out that they were breaking the law...).

As I have nothing better to do...

"To: [email protected]

Charging Electric Vehicle (EV) on Leasehold Berkeley Homes Properties

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have found this email address on the internet whilst trying to raise the issue of a fellow EV driver who has been refused permission to install an EV charge point at his Berkeley property. The issue is discussed here… Warning - Berekely homes is hostile towards electric cars

If this is not the appropriate email address please forward it on to the right one (and be kind enough to copy me in so I can do a follow up email). None of your ‘Contact Us’ pages appear to feature them for some reason.

Whilst perusing your website, I came across your sustainability strategy, ‘Our Vision’. It talks about 'developing homes… with low environmental impact’. Surely a policy of refusing your tenants the option to install the means to charge EVs is in direct conflict with this principle?

In fact, it would seem very sensible for all your homes' dedicated parking spaces to be equipped with the means to charge an EV. This need not entail vast expense… a simple weather-proof standard 13A socket generally offers a perfectly acceptable solution. I would recommend turning this embarrassment into a feature and adopt a policy making all your homes EV-friendly and advertising them as such.

Regards, Martin Winlow
EVBitz.uk"

I'll not be holding my breath for a reply... MW