Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Car unable to charge, unplug & try again

trungsc156

Oct 9, 2018
San Jose
Arrived at a supercharger yesterday & plugged in to charge. After about 25 minutes of charging, charging stops, I get a message saying that car unable to charge, unplug & try again. Went to the charge port & saw a red ring. I unplugged then plugged in again. Charging starts up like normal for about a minute & I get the same message again. I tried again & again with the same problem. I decided to move to a different stall & all is fine. Anyone here experienced this problem before?

Leroy1947

Sep 28, 2018
Visalia, Ca.
Arrived at a supercharger yesterday & plugged in to charge. After about 25 minutes of charging, charging stops, I get a message saying that car unable to charge, unplug & try again. Went to the charge port & saw a red ring. I unplugged then plugged in again. Charging starts up like normal for about a minute & I get the same message again. I tried again & again with the same problem. I decided to move to a different stall & all is fine. Anyone here experienced this problem before?

Yes, it has happened to me. Nothing wrong with my car. I moved to another supercharger and got the job done.

Merle

Apr 5, 2019
Tahoe
Have had this problem fairly often at the Dublin supercharger. It's anything from being disconnected 5-10 min in, to "waiting for charging" to start.

A week or two ago, it connected and started charging and I was charging at the awesome rate of 1 mile an hour.

No fix, you just drive off and try again later. Never had these problems elsewhere.

TiggerTime

Feb 12, 2019
Gainesville
Yes, I've had this happen as well, most recently I stopped with 20% at a SC on a major highway and 3 of 6 stalls were inop and others were in use. I ended up driving to another SC location off the highway about 25 miles and 1st one I plugged into started then failed a few moments later. Lucky for me one of the other 9 at that location worked flawlessly.

Tesla needs to add a report SC issue button to the map system. Supposedly they are all monitored for charging issues and reported automatically but when 3 of 6 fail that can be an issue if there weren't other options within range.

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I thought supercharger is DC and it completely bypass the on board chargers.
The AC to DC part is bypassed, but that overall unit that houses it also has the detection and switchgear that activates the bypass to send it to the battery, and that switching circuitry can go bad, which is a part of the onboard charger unit.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC