Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning for Emmc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding of how it works:

eMMCs, not just Tesla but eMMC in general, have extra unused capacity that you don't see when you ask the eMMC for free space. The eMMC also has a little controller that manages it. The controller is part of the eMMC. When a memory block goes bad the controller detects the bad block and marks it as unusable. It then uses a block that is was of the extra capacity instead. As time goes on it will use more and more of the extra capacity to make up for failing blocks.

When Tesla does a health check of the eMMC they ask the eMMC controller how much of the extra capacity is still available. If it's almost gone it means uncorrectable errors will soon happen.

The 64GB chip should last just about forever since it will have much more extra capacity (depending on how much of it they format).
I talked to Tesla to get it replaced before it dies...they said there’s no way they can test the system.

so we are stuck with it until our car is stranded in the middle of no where

Reactions: besnova
So my options are becoming limited...

Wait for my emmc chip to come in, knowing that could be a long time since any spare chips will probably get sent to those with dead ones, despite I am months in the queue.

Update my car, in order to get the notification, hoping it does not die in loading the last 4 updates I skipped.

Go third party, and take the chance the Mothership finds out in the future, and does something to punish me.

Order a MCU2 for $$$$, loose my good sounding stereo balance, backup camera performance, plus who knows what other glitches.

Wait for confirmation on the Tesla site or my account they in fact have approved MCU2 for my unpowered lift gate AP1 car.

Do nothing. If it dies tell the Wife I need a Taicaan...

The other option is to way for the inevitable recall order to come from the NHTSA in the next six months.

In my case, they just did a cycle count, and because they could not get any of the occasional errors to repeat, said the chip was "fine"

I had blank screen with error message over the weekend for my 4 1/2 yr old X. Fortunately I could drive the 175 miles to Raleigh and supercharge near the center.

Today, Raleigh service tells me the same thing that the eMMC “tests” fine and they suggest that it’s a recent software version problem causing the issue ( saying it’s been seen with several older vehicles with latest Sw release ). Also, next software release will supposedly reduce this issue
Didn’t a previous release stop heavy cycle count?

Any suggestions on how to interact with service?

I had blank screen with error message over the weekend for my 4 1/2 yr old X. Fortunately I could drive the 175 miles to Raleigh and supercharge near the center.

Today, Raleigh service tells me the same thing that the eMMC “tests” fine and they suggest that it’s a recent software version problem causing the issue ( saying it’s been seen with several older vehicles with latest Sw release ). Also, next software release will supposedly reduce this issue
Didn’t a previous release stop heavy cycle count?

Any suggestions on how to interact with service?

It seems they drive did not motivate them to do the work. Did you offer to pay for it?

Based on my experience, not surprising if they refused.

Document time and date of the failures, and hope that after the quarter ends, they will start replacing these chips as they should.

The service centers as being fed misinformation and passing it along as part of a disinformation campaign. I hope it is short lived.

• Helpful
Reactions: X Fan
It seems they drive did not motivate them to do the work. Did you offer to pay for it?

Based on my experience, not surprising if they refused.

Document time and date of the failures, and hope that after the quarter ends, they will start replacing these chips as they should.

The service centers as being fed misinformation and passing it along as part of a disinformation campaign. I hope it is short lived.
Actually this is not a new "Diagnosis" from Tesla:
  1. It's a known software issue
  2. It will be fixed by next update
  3. If it's still not fixed, go to step 2
This has been the #1 diagnosis since I got my fist Tesla on 2013. What's new is the "Game of pennies", and MCU's cost a lot of pennies.

Reactions: aerodyne
This has been the #1 diagnosis since I got my fist Tesla on 2013. What's new is the "Game of pennies", and MCU's cost a lot of pennies.

Elon just moved to Texas today.

As I posted earlier, with the gains on his CA homes, he could buy all of us new boards.

I have concluded he has decided not to care.

damn...this is exactly what the Raleigh service center told me this week. 1&2 word for word.

It’s awful how they are treating their early adapters/folks that took a chance on their company.....and who helped finance the product development we see today.

Elon just moved to Texas today.

As I posted earlier, with the gains on his CA homes, he could buy all of us new boards.

I have concluded he has decided not to care.
He cares, primarily about TSLA profitability. He'd sooner buy a bunch of Model 3's or Y's at the end of a quarter and donate them to charity - win, win, extra deliveries, a tax write off, meet another milestone for stock vesting, perhaps vest another $50B worth of stock. ;)

All those pre-raven, MCU1 owners are just a pain in the ass to Elon - an unnecessary support burden slowing down new development and hurting profitability - no surprise he has no love for those cars or their owners.

Reactions: X Fan
damn...this is exactly what the Raleigh service center told me this week. 1&2 word for word.

It’s awful how they are treating their early adapters/folks that took a chance on their company.....and who helped finance the product development we see today.
In some defense of the service center, that is what they are instructed to tell customers. In the past, they were told to say this to customers, but if you pushed back, they'd fix what needed fixing. Today, the very same people have been whipped into shape by the Games of Pennies management attitude, and will just repeat the same company line over and over, sometimes having a hard time keeping a straight face - like when I had the service advisor try to explain to me why a yellowing screen on a less than a year old $100K car is not covered under warranty, and my options are limited to paying $3,000 to replace the MCU or live with it because it does not affect the car's ability to drive. Coincidentally, some people (not me) got the "next update will fix it" for their yellowing screens too.

Reactions: aerodyne and X Fan