TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warning, Ft. Tejon Bad Station

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Larry93428, Dec 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

The Ft. Tejon Supercharger station 2B is defective. The clasp holding the plug has no tension. When opening the door for access, the cable falls out onto your car, plug striking it. It put two dings in my pristine Model S. 12000 careful miles and with parking only in isolated spots and the Tesla Supercharger turned on me.
    ((The cable fell out like the corpse in the closet in so many movies.))
    Use extreme caution if you must use station 2B at the Ft. Tejon Supercharger.
    ~Larry

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Did you call/email Tesla about it? It's probably more helpful to notify them than us. :)
    Walter

3. mgdurand

mgdurand Member

Oh yeah, call Tesla. That one almost got me too on a road trip this summer, I meant to tell them but I forgot.

4. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Well it is useful info for those of us in CA who will use Tejon in the near future. I will be more careful when accessing the cable from the pedestals. I had never heard of this happening before.

5. ariporad

ariporad Member

I'm not an owner, but it seems like Tesla should definitely fix your car if the supercharger dinged it.

6. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

#6 Larry93428, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    I e-mailed Tesla, got an error message. I do not know if they received my e-mail.
    I wrote a warning on the cabinet of that station 2B hoping no more damage from this thing, and also posted here and Tesla Blog.
    I did not telephone, do not have a number as I am on the road.
    Yes, they need to know that this cabinet is defective. They need to know that the clasp design is week.
    Apache, There were two of these cupboard type stations at Ft. Tejon. The others were the familiar open design.
    ~Larry

7. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

This shows two of the stations at Ft. Tejon, with two variations of the familiar station.
    The near one is the design that caused my problem.
    (That's my car on down at station 2B.)
    The door is open, the plug is staying in place because the clamp is OK
    DSC03727 (640x480).jpg

Here we are plugged in at 2B.
    When one opens the door (see the little handle, dark vert. line), one stands to the right in the photo, expecting to reach in to take the plug/cable and connect to the car. Not likely to stand on the other side because the port door is there. But the thing just falls out,striking your nearby car.

DSC03726 (640x480).jpg

This is a photo looking into the cabinet showing the clasp which is to hold the plug until you remove it.
    The clasp has no tension. Possibly due to weather or time.

DSC03729 (640x480).jpg

This is not posted in lieu of contacting Tesla. Yes, we see people post here in this Forum doing that, as if WE can do anything about their problem.
    This is posted here as a warning. My pristine Tesla was damaged by this thing and I hope no one else will get hit by it.
    I hope to get feedback from Tesla from other posts I have made.
    Thank you,
    ~Larry

8. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Tesla repaired my car. Thank you Tesla.
    They tell me that the Suprecharger has been taken care of. I'll be up that way soon and will verify that.
    I am so pleased with Tesla Motors and their customer service.
    ~Larry

9. kabirakhtar

kabirakhtar but you can call me Kabir

that's great news - happy to hear your car got fixed and that Tesla did the right thing.