TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WARNING: Gorilla Wheel Locks...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by russman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. russman

russman Member

I purchased the Gorilla Wheel locks recommended from this thread. I had Tesla install them on my car. After about 5500 miles, I mentioned that I felt a little pulsation when I braked at high speeds. They looked at it and said the rotors are warped from one wheel and the lug bolt is stripped. I said you guys installed the nuts for me. They said we don't install aftermarket products. They went back to look at paperwork and didn't see any notes about it, as I believe they did it as a courtesy for me when I first brought in my car to take care of some Due Bill items.

Anyways, they have said they will take care of it for me because I said they installed it for me. I also think they feel bad, because this is my 6th service visit to address multiple annoying issues since I first got my car. I'm very grateful they are going to take care of it for me, as they said it would be over $1600 in work.

Anyways, I wanted to post it as a warning if anyone else is using the Gorilla Locks recommended from this thread, to be cautious. I don't know if it's because they didn't install it right or what, but they basically said the nuts are not properly securing the tire to the wheel.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12997-Wheel-Locks-for-the-Model-S-anyone-doen-this-or-have-an-opinion

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for the heads up!

One (hopefully small) request: Can you try to get the Gorilla folks in touch with the Tesla folks to follow-up on this issue? It would be great if Gorilla was able to identify the issue and correct it going forward.

3. russman

russman Member

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Sorry to hear that. That's terrible.

I'm skeptical of most wheel locks, Gorilla Locks in particular, anyway. I had the exact style noted in that link on a previous vehicle and somehow lost a key (I suspect the shop never gave it back after a service). There are a finite, and small, number of keys and a nearby shop had a complete set and offered to remove them for me. Turns out they had ALSO lost that key from their set. So, they just hammered a regular socket on it and they were off in 5 minutes. They charged me $10 for a new socket and their time.

Locks are usually to deter casual theft, but these were SO easy to defeat I'm not sure how beneficial they even are for that case.

Anyway, I wonder how this happened. Was the thread pitch slightly wrong? Or were the locking logs simply unable to cope with the torque required on the Model S? Let us know if you find out, I'm interested and the information may be of use to anyone using aftermarket lugs.

5. russman

russman Member

Here is the exact verbiage from the service order and repair:

Concern: Customer states: brakes vibrate when pressing hard at freeway speeds- tech
    verified on road test with client

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis

Verified Clients concern, Road tested vehicle with customer at freeway speeds and found
    when pressing brake pedal slightly, will feel slight brake pulsation. Note: Customer has
    aftermarket wheel locks and found during inspection found all 4 wheel locks not properly
    torqued. (not fully seated) Note: Left Front and Right Rear Hub/bearing needs to be
    replaced, due to stripped lugs. Performed Rotor run out and found front rotors at
    0.0254mm and rear rotors at 0.0762mm. Need to replace rear rotors, due to max rotor run
    out. See Aditional correction lines for repair.

Corrections: Hub - Front - LH

Removed and Installed New Left Front Hub and Bearing Assembly. Torqued bolts to
    specifications. Final road test, verified proper operation.

Part Quantity
    FR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY
    (6007040-00-A)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Hub - Rear - RH
    Removed and Installed New Hub and Bearing Assembly for Right Rear. Torqued bolts to
    specifications. Final road test, verified proper operation.

Part Quantity
    RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY
    PERFORMANCE (6006796-01-A)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Brake Rotors - Rear - Set
    Installed Rear Rotor Set.

Part Quantity
    RR BRAKE ROTOR (6006431-00-C)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Rear Axle Nut Washer - LH & RH
    Installed Rear Axle Nut Washers - LH & RH

Part Quantity
    WASHER ASSY LCK M24x39 ZnFl-W
    (1020296-00-A)

6. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Were these for OE wheels? If so why didn't they just use the OE wheel locks like these?
    http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/wheel-lock-set

The Gorilla ones are not even close to the right taper/shoulder on them to fit the OE wheels.
    I have aftermarket OZ Superturismo LM wheels and use the Gorilla locks on them, I have had zero issues in 28K miles.

7. russman

russman Member

Yes these are for the original tires. I got the guidance from the thread here on TMC which recommended these locks. The Tesla locks are inferior, but in the end, that's where I've ended up. Anyone want my Gorilla locks?

8. cyin

cyin New Member

Do not use any Gorilla locks on your Tesla wheels! Be prepared to spend $$$ and effort to repair your lug bolts.

I put 14m x 1.5 Gorilla Guard locks on my P85+ 21" wheels. I painted them black and I torqued them to 129 ft-lb. I didn't find any issue screwing the lock into the lug nut. A week later I noticed some paints were flaking off and when I tried to unscrew the lock, I found that they destroyed the lug nut threads on the way out. To repair it, I had to buy a wheel hub from Tesla in order to extract the lug bolts and replace one bolt on each wheel!

I complained to Gorilla lock and they said they were unaware of such defect and take no responsibility for it.

In the end I bought McGuard wheel lock directly from Tesla and it worked out great.