Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Gridserve Braintree Superchargers don't support all cars - V3 CCS only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find this in the other threads so thought the statement would be useful

Today I decided I'd give Gridserve Braintree a shot even though it wasn't on my Model S's GPS.

Turns out this is because the Tesla chargers don't have Type 2 connector I'd need for 2017 Model S. Just CCS.

Fortunately 7% charge got me to Marks Tey but in case other people didn't know, having a supercharger doesn't mean it supports all Teslas :(

My understanding is that the V2 Superchargers have both connectors, but most of the newer Superchargers being rolled out are V3 and only support type 2. I believe for older CCS cars you can get your car converted to Type 2 at a cost.

I think you might be upside down? A quick read says 2019 S's can buy a £300 adapter to put CCS into their Type 2, but pre 2019 have to have something else which I'll have to call about. Still going to be grumpy that Supercharger DOES NOT equal charge all Tesla :(

Reactions: SR-Plus
They have 22kW AC chargers at gridserver too which you could have used. Most (All?) new superchargers are V3 CCS2 only - you can get your car modified to accept CCS chargers with an adapter - this will give you lots more options to use other public chargers too.

Supercharging

I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter. You may schedule a service retrofit at your local Tesla service center via your Tesla mobile app.

How much does a CCS Combo 2 service retrofit cost?
CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

Last edited:
What with "Chargegate" and this change of connectors I feel Tesla is beginning to erode the free supercharging for life of the older cars

Oh, does anyone have any practical experience of if their rate locked 80KWh free supercharging charges any faster with the CCS adaptor on V3 chargers, that might make me do the upgrade?

Reactions: Wol747
What with "Chargegate" and this change of connectors I feel Tesla is beginning to erode the free supercharging for life of the older cars

Oh, does anyone have any practical experience of if their rate locked 80KWh free supercharging charges any faster with the CCS adaptor on V3 chargers, that might make me do the upgrade?

Your car won't charge any faster on a Tesla CCS supercharger than it would on a type 2 charger on the same supercharger. The upgrade to CCS really just gives you the comfort of knowing all superchargers will be available to you, particularly important as almost all new Superchargers are V3 CCS only.

I had mine done recently and would recommend it. Pretty painless and the price has come down too, £280 inc VAT and done at home by the ranger.

I couldn't find this in the other threads so thought the statement would be useful

Today I decided I'd give Gridserve Braintree a shot even though it wasn't on my Model S's GPS.

Turns out this is because the Tesla chargers don't have Type 2 connector I'd need for 2017 Model S. Just CCS.

Fortunately 7% charge got me to Marks Tey but in case other people didn't know, having a supercharger doesn't mean it supports all Teslas :(
There is a reason why it didn't show in your nav ;)

Lots of new sites are V3 only (CCS) as others have said, you can pay £280 to get the upgrade then be able to use them.

Tesla have, quite rightly in my opinion, moved to the European standard charge connectors. Unfortunately that means that the few older cars around need to be upgraded and have an adapter. If I had an older S, I would be quite happy to get the CCS upgrade at that price just so I can use third party rapids.

This is an issue that affects a relatively small number of Teslas in Europe with the end result being cars and chargers that are compatible with the current standards and compatible with other brands.

I did see a Model S turn up at the V3 at Chelmsford while I was there, they asked me why they couldn't charge and was very confused. They didn't have the CCS upgrade and didn't have a Chademo adapter either. Perhaps some educative communication from Tesla could help alleviate any confusion.

I'm not aware of Nissan offering CCS upgrades for the Leafs now almost completely defunct Chademo connectors. I suppose that at least puts Tesla in better position than Nissan.

Reactions: GRiLLA
Tesla have, quite rightly in my opinion, moved to the European standard charge connectors. Unfortunately that means that the few older cars around need to be upgraded and have an adapter. If I had an older S, I would be quite happy to get the CCS upgrade at that price just so I can use third party rapids.

This is an issue that affects a relatively small number of Teslas in Europe with the end result being cars and chargers that are compatible with the current standards and compatible with other brands.

I did see a Model S turn up at the V3 at Chelmsford while I was there, they asked me why they couldn't charge and was very confused. They didn't have the CCS upgrade and didn't have a Chademo adapter either. Perhaps some educative communication from Tesla could help alleviate any confusion.

I'm not aware of Nissan offering CCS upgrades for the Leafs now almost completely defunct Chademo connectors. I suppose that at least puts Tesla in better position than Nissan.
Not had an issue finding chademo chargers.

Gridserve have loads - my son was able to charge his Leaf whilst my 3 couldn’t charge for free via the superchargers as they were all out of order - and still are!

Moderator comment - below copied from a (near identical) following post - please do not repost near identical information even if it doesn't appear immediately - it may be awaiting approval as was the case here. It will cause unnecessary duplicate information.

Never had an issue finding rapid chargers for our two leafs anywhere in UK. Gridserve have loads of Nissan compatible bay (and Tesla/Porsche etc).

But I’ve yet to charge our 3 using one of the 6 superchargers - all of which continue to be out of order!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at popping into Braintree in the next week or so, yet I see the SuC are still down. I'm assuming this is more than just a Technical issue as usually Tesla are very quick to fix it(though it's not as though Braintree is short of chargers :) )

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but unless you are on free Supercharging it's probably cheaper or the same price to charge on Gridserve's own CCS units.