Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning! Home Link GPS -- Auto Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this was posted somewhere before, but I couldn't find the original.

IF YOU BACK IN THE GARAGE -- DISABLE AUTO GARAGE DOOR CLOSE! Unfortunately, when backing in the garage, if you pull forward to straighten the Model X's alignment, the GPS Home Link will assume you are leaving the garage.

When I moved forward slightly to align the X with the garage, the GPS Home Link started closing the garage as I was backing up. The Garage door was NOT visible from rear view camera or sensors because the door was lowering and was not in the range of the Sensors, Camera or the "tilted" rear view mirrors. So as I was backing up, the camera showed the garage opening as clear and the view from the mirrors was the same -- clear.

So I was startled when I heard the CRUNCH. Fortunately, there is no major damage to the X. Some paint transfer from the aluminum door, at the rear hatch just behind the Spoiler. I was able to remove the paint with a little polishing compound. I read the original post some time ago, but forgot it as I waited for my X. I will check closer in the morning light.

I don't know how to recommend a change to TESLA for either range away or warning not to implement. When arriving, the door begins to open at the bottom of my driveway -- nearly 40 feet from the door, so there is no anticipation to be signaled to close 3-5 feet from the door. If someone knows the procedure. Please advise.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
Had the same thing happen to me, my garage is a tandem so its long. My car was at the end of garge and the door was already open so as I backed my auto homelink activated and started to close the door. I was lucky, I heard the door and floored it, had I not the door would have hit my rear end. Garge door sensors are useless, they are mounted low to the floor so your tire is the first point that will activate them.

@Tampaukfan , I agree.... you are the third to post the issue.

I would strongly recommend not using the Automatic Open or Close.
A garage door only "sees" a signal to reverse the state it is in. So if the door is open and a signal is received, the door will close. Doesn't matter if it is your Tesla, or a button on door opener. I disabled the auto close and noticed the signal intended for Auto Open, will also cause the door to close. There are multiple WARNINGS in the User Manual about using the GPS automatic functions. I have decided to manually press the button.

Had the same thing happen to me, my garage is a tandem so its long. My car was at the end of garge and the door was already open so as I backed my auto homelink activated and started to close the door. I was lucky, I heard the door and floored it, had I not the door would have hit my rear end. Garge door sensors are useless, they are mounted low to the floor so your tire is the first point that will activate them.
When I got my Tesla, I raised the height of the sensor to match the height of the tip of the nosecone. FWIW, I back into my garage and have never had the auto home link lower the door on me.

Of course raising the sensor helps, if you don't have kids. Keep in mind, in my case the car was NOT in the Garage, so the sensor position didn't matter. The door triggered to close when the car was backing --- before the sensors with the door lowering and out of view of the camera, mirrors and X sensors.

That problem can be solved if you set the position of where the auto-open and close further away from the garage. The manual explains how to reset the GPS for that. If the open/close point is further away from the garage, it won't trigger if you just go back and forth a little to get a better aim. I had the same problem, and I reset mine to be out on the street.

@Tampaukfan , I agree.... you are the third to post the issue.

I would strongly recommend not using the Automatic Open or Close.
A garage door only "sees" a signal to reverse the state it is in. So if the door is open and a signal is received, the door will close. Doesn't matter if it is your Tesla, or a button on door opener. I disabled the auto close and noticed the signal intended for Auto Open, will also cause the door to close. There are multiple WARNINGS in the User Manual about using the GPS automatic functions. I have decided to manually press the button.

Agreed! Just thinking about the possible scenarios stopped me from activating. I prefer to know where the door is and what it's doing. Manual is easy. Repair is hard.