TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Warning: Hot adapter or outlet prevents charging - Try another outlet

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by David3, Aug 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David3

David3 Member

Anyone encountered this while charging? "Warning: Hot adapter or outlet prevents charging - Try another outlet". The mobile connector "T" flashes once every few seconds. Chargeport "T" is solid red.
    This is using the gen2 Mobile Connector on a NEMA 14-30. I called Tesla Vehicle support and they think it's a possible grounding issue with outlet or Mobile Connector. I've been using the outlet and Mobile connector to charge for a while with no issues but I tried scheduled charging for the first time last night and found the message this morning. The charging actually completed so wonder if it's just some software glitch with scheduled charging.

2. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Is it possible that your UMC is not fully inserted into the outlet?

I would turn off the circuit breaker and remove the receptacle and verify that nothing looks burned on the back of the outlet and that all the wires are tight.

Also, do you plug and unplug your 14-30 a lot? The receptacle may be worn out and not making good contact.

Hot outlets are nothing to mess with. We see pictures on the forums often of melted outlets. They are a good way to catch a house on fire.

EV's draw high currents (max currents) for hours on end (unlike the typical use of these outlets which is ovens and dryers and RV's).

3. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Open up the panel and confirm all your connections are snug. This can happen with a loose connection in your socket or panel

4. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

If the Tesla is reporting that the plug on the UMC is hot then I don’t know how that could be an issue at the panel end.

Good to check if there are issues, but I think a loose connection there would manifest differently (voltage drop causing the Tesla to kick off or overheating causing the breaker to trip).

5. David3

David3 Member

I rarely unplug/plug the Mobile connector and the outlet is only a few months old installed by Tesla referred electrician and passed city inspection.
    Everything looks normal physically as far as I can tell.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

When you say the Mobile Connector T was flashing, was it flashing green or red? If it was flashing green and the Charge Port T was solid red, this would appear to me to indicate that the problem was on the Charge Port connection end.

7. David3

David3 Member

T flashing red once every few seconds. Rest of the letters are solid green. According to the manual it's "Thermal Fault".

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Thanks.

Have you tried charging again since the fault?

9. David3

David3 Member

Yes it charged fine last night and haven't seen the warning popped up again.

• Like x 1