Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: Huge Blackvue Cloud Privacy Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

This has recently been published, there's a huge security problem that broadcasts your Blackvue GPS location and live feed of your front and rear cameras via Blackvue Cloud to the public (if you have that enabled). Please check your settings!

This video is from a Model X owner.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fiver
This has recently been published, there's a huge security problem that broadcasts your Blackvue GPS location and live feed of your front and rear cameras via Blackvue Cloud to the public (if you have that enabled). Please check your settings!

Got a link to a security advisory or any kind of announcement with more details?

Thanks,

Bruce.

While the video is entertainingly sensationalist, it gets a big downvote from me for not pointing you to how to actually check and fix the privacy settings for your Blackvue. Here's where I found the settings on my BlackVue iPhone app (version 2.7.7, camera model DR900S-2CH):

BLACKVUE CLOUD -> kabob menu to the right of your camera -> Camera settings -> Privacy settings

All my settings were configured to be fully private by default, though I can confirm that I was able to see other camera locations and live video streams with the cloud view mode of the app on my laptop. Perhaps Blackvue recently fixed the default privacy settings?

While the video is entertainingly sensationalist, it gets a big downvote from me for not pointing you to how to actually check and fix the privacy settings for your Blackvue. Here's where I found the settings on my BlackVue iPhone app (version 2.7.7, camera model DR900S-2CH):

BLACKVUE CLOUD -> kabob menu to the right of your camera -> Camera settings -> Privacy settings

All my settings were configured to be fully private by default, though I can confirm that I was able to see other camera locations and live video streams with the cloud view mode of the app on my laptop. Perhaps Blackvue recently fixed the default privacy settings?

The setting has always been defaulted to private mode out of the box when I got mine and my wife’s.

Mine defaulted to private when new. Also, to “broadcast” your feed and location you need constant WiFi, so basically you would have set this up on purpose, thus being aware of the privacy issue. There isn’t a BlackVue made yet with built in cellular.

Got a link to a security advisory or any kind of announcement with more details?
I think this..
Tim Woodruff on Twitter
...was the original tweet, from Tim Woodruff. In the tweet, he links to a screen capture video, which shows the registration menu and settings defaults that leave video shared with the world.

BlackVue responded further down in the tweet thread, saying that their developers would address this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I think this..
Tim Woodruff on Twitter
...was the original tweet, from Tim Woodruff. In the tweet, he links to a screen capture video, which shows the registration menu and settings defaults that leave video shared with the world.

BlackVue responded further down in the tweet thread, saying that their developers would address this issue.
Blackvue should have sent out an official advisory to people that have purchased products before the default setting was changed, as you can see from the public map, there are thousands of people around the world streaming live video and vehicle locations, which is pretty serious oversight in my eyes.