Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING: I rear-ended someone today while using Auto Pilot in my brand new P90D!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely, why would you think otherwise? Do you have some reason why you would find that to be funny? Using Tesla as a benchmark for your expectations is the only reason I can think of, but they are the exception to this, not the norm.

Jeff

Tesla aside.

From previous software development experience it's almost never "quick and easy".

Couple that with previous algorithm development, training and retesting it's definitely not quick nor easy, and can easily take months for a patch that will fix item Z to be deployed in the field, because you have to make sure your patch didn't break items A-Y.

Tesla aside.

From previous software development experience it's almost never "quick and easy".

Couple that with previous algorithm development, training and retesting it's definitely not quick nor easy, and can easily take months for a patch that will fix item Z to be deployed in the field, because you have to make sure your patch didn't break items A-Y.

Understood completely, perhaps I should have qualified what I meant by "quick and easy". The quick is in the rate the patch can be deployed, and the easy is in reference to comparing how difficult it is to teach a human a new thing or a new habit.

My lack of explanation for my word usage is on me, I can certainly see how quick and easy could be taken as fast and simple.

Jeff

Understood completely, perhaps I should have qualified what I meant by "quick and easy". The quick is in the rate the patch can be deployed, and the easy is in reference to comparing how difficult it is to teach a human a new thing or a new habit.

My lack of explanation for my word usage is on me, I can certainly see how quick and easy could be taken as fast and simple.

Jeff

Ah, yes, in that case it can be quick and easy, but it will not be fast and simple. Glad we agree :)

Jeff

So glad that two of the people I respect have come together. [emoji3][emoji3]

It's easily flying an unmanned plane from LA to Chicago, it's not even close. While they may fly in an somewhat controlled environment, highly controlled is a stretch, the challenges they face are far greater than ground based transportation, specifically during takeoff and landing. Regarding the scenario you mention, in an autonomous world, all the cars are communicating with each other leaving the only real wild card to be pedestrians and while that wildcard is not to be overlooked, it is addressable. Again, this is software we're talking about. The simple fact that you admit that humans "make surprisingly few mistakes" pretty much validates the entire point around autonomous driving. Machines don't make mistakes, the software is their limiting factor and it can be improved upon and corrected quickly and easily.

And yes you are wrong, whether you understand or agree with my conclusion matters not. Luckily for us you aren't responsible for making policy decisions. Humans are deeply flawed and deeply inconsistent from one human to the next. Machines are not. Granted their software is their limiting factor but that shouldn't be seen as a negative as software is binary and fixable. Humans aren't.

Jeff

Right. I'm sure that the deer that leaps out of the park onto the road will also be incredibly connected. I don't believe that you have any idea how much opposition this "autonomous" world of your utopia is going to meet.
BTW, it would be quite funny to see how many of these Teslas "summoned" to drive from L.A. to NYC on their own would e.g. get bogged down in some field in the Midwest because they couldn't handle some deviation with confusing signage.

FWIW I too have had to "catch" my car before it rear-ended the person in front of me. A few times. With the newer AP display that shows more than one car, the times I have had to intervene the display showed that it didn't detect any cars ahead of me or in the nearby lanes. All the while autosteer+TACC are doing their job.

I took it in after once or twice (pre-autosteer days) and service said everything checked out. Meanwhile I am seeing occasional times where the radar or whatever is causing the display to show the vehicle in front of my jumping forward and backward wildly.

Whether a software or hardware issue, both TACC and Autosteer are only 80% reliable in my book.

Right. I'm sure that the deer that leaps out of the park onto the road will also be incredibly connected. I don't believe that you have any idea how much opposition this "autonomous" world of your utopia is going to meet.

Umn... yes.

[many] Years ago I read about BMW introducing an infrared camera in their cars that can detect an animal on the side of the road. Add a little code to that to detect and identify it as an animal, then you can track it. Once you can track it, the computer will be able to both see and react faster than a human being to correcting for the animal.

BTW, it would be quite funny to see how many of these Teslas "summoned" to drive from L.A. to NYC on their own would e.g. get bogged down in some field in the Midwest because they couldn't handle some deviation with confusing signage.

Your post made me laugh out loud, literally... Look, the only people who would oppose this are people who are unreasonably fearful or can't seem to understand that a machine is far more reliable and consistent then they are. Clearly you fall into that category, that's on you, not me. In the end you will lose and progress will continue on, thousands of lives will be saved, and humanity will be better because of it...

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW I too have had to "catch" my car before it rear-ended the person in front of me. A few times. With the newer AP display that shows more than one car, the times I have had to intervene the display showed that it didn't detect any cars ahead of me or in the nearby lanes. All the while autosteer+TACC are doing their job.

I took it in after once or twice (pre-autosteer days) and service said everything checked out. Meanwhile I am seeing occasional times where the radar or whatever is causing the display to show the vehicle in front of my jumping forward and backward wildly.

Whether a software or hardware issue, both TACC and Autosteer are only 80% reliable in my book.

Very interesting indeed, I have yet to observe this behavior in my car. I can appreciate how such behavior would affect your perception of reliability, no doubt, it would me as well if I had the same experiences.

Jeff

Last edited:

When they "checked [it] out", did they recalibrate your camera and sensors?

As mentioned up-thread, I had a similar problem. Service couldn't find anything until I did a bug report. See the service ticket I posted for the resolution.

Log Results

The service manager at Tesla informed me that the engineers who analyzed the logs from my car found no anomaly: the TACC performed as designed. The system triggered the emergency alarm when the collision was imminent, and the driver (me) applied the brakes after approximately one second (so much for my catlike reflexes). At the time of the accident TACC was fully functioning: no faulty camera or sensor.

I asked why the car didn't stop on its own--why was I required to slam on the brakes in the first place? The service manager told me that I bore all responsibility. I told him I accepted all responsibility. But the emergency alarm sounded only one second before the time of the collision, I explained, rendering it essentially useless. He repeated that the accident was the driver's responsibility and that he wasn't in the car to witness what happened.

I told him that I didn't remember going that fast at the time of impact (it was a fender-bender after all), and that it seemed like the car should have stopped. It wasn't at all like an emergency braking situation (until the very last second). He told me the accident was my responsibility. I may have sworn at him.

I asked about my speed at the point the emergency alarm went off and he promised to ask the engineers. "We can't know if you were going downhill, if there was ice on the pavement. We can't know any of this," he said. I apologized for being so rude.

I've had time to reflect on this minor accident and I've read all the posts in this string and my conclusion is the following: the accident was entirely my fault. I don't blame the car one iota. I wasn't careful enough and I had unrealistic expectations for the technology. After talking to Tesla, I drove home with my broken nose cone, set the distance to seven, and engaged the AP (my hands hovering above the steering wheel, my foot covering the brake). It worked beautifully.

You may find it more comfortable to actually hold the steering wheel. I find hovering very uncomfortable. It will also allow you to react that much more quickly in case of an emergency. I had some funny lane-seeking movements today on a route I drive daily while using Autosteer and am not sure it's as solid as 7.0. Maybe it needs to calibrate again. Will see after more tests this weekend.