Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - make sure your connections are properly torqued!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the Clipper Creek charger has a built in short pigtail, about 12 inches. And you have to wire it up to that pigtail. I don't believe you can direct wire a Clipper Creek. I also don't think you can open it up and get rid of the pigtail, it's factory built into the unit.

Which is one more reason to go with a Tesla Wall Connector, or even Juicebox or something, that allows you to direct wire.

Yes, if the box could be direct wired, then this problem with the burnt up and melted box goes away.
Several years ago I installed a CC for a family member and that's how it was. I would still call that hard wiring though, ie not with a plug and receptacle.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I see lots of issues with your setup:

(1) Wire Nut connectors should be used.
(2) Box should be a Steel Box, not plastic.
(3) Conduit should be 1/2" EMT Pipe, not PVC.
(4) Entire length of run, from Breaker Box, EMT Pipe, Steel Box, all Conduit Connectors, to Clipper Creek Charger should have an end-to-end ground throughout all the metal parts.
(5) Optionally, you could run a green ground wire through the conduit for additional protection in case conduit sections detach or pull apart.
(6) Optionally, use a deeper Steel Box and 3/4" EMT Pipe, because your wires look really crammed up in there. Overstuffed boxes and conduit will overheat the wires.
1) The Polaris connectors were properly rated; they’re essentially lugs covered in an insulator.
2) 3) PVC is completely acceptable and up to code. ½” EMT would have actually been too small for the wires
4) 5) There is a 8g ground wire connected throughout
6) Agree it looks cramped - The box was adequately sized per the NEC fill calculations.
are you able to tell what got hot and melted? the polaris connectors? i wonder if split bolts would have had the same heat issue. couldn't direct wire?
The plastic insulation on one of the polaris connectors melted and the wires going into that connector appear to have gotten hot enough to melt the plastic nut.
I believe the Clipper Creek charger has a built in short pigtail, about 12 inches. And you have to wire it up to that pigtail. I don't believe you can direct wire a Clipper Creek. I also don't think you can open it up and get rid of the pigtail, it's factory built into the unit.

Which is one more reason to go with a Tesla Wall Connector, or even Juicebox or something, that allows you to direct wire.

Yes, if the box could be direct wired, then this problem with the burnt up and melted box goes away.
Yes - the Tesla wall connector has lugs in the actual unit to which you connect the wires. The Clipper Creek/ZEF energy unit has a pigtail requiring you to make a junction. I would have preferred to use a Tesla wall connector but my electric utility’s off peak charging required that I use their device.

Direct wiring with a Tesla or other device does not completely eliminate the problem - if you don’t properly torque the lugs in a direct wire device they can also overheat. It is physically easier to tighten them, though.