Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning!!! Model 3 will make you immature (again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First full day of driving my P3D today. Let me preface this with been driving over 30 years, only two speeding tickets.... :)

So I am cruising the main drag in Salt Lake (locals call it State Street), pull up to the stop light, being a total noob, still learning how to slow smoothly with hold on etc... Up comes a beautiful red Mustang GT rumbling like a banshee. Pulls up next to me at the red light. I peek over out of the corner of my eye to see if the driver is looking back at me,: he isn't, or is he, almost like he is looking out of the corner of his eye too... Younger guy (upper 20's, by my guess) with an even younger passenger riding shotgun (who definitely was looking over). Light turns green, mustang takes off with that wonderful mustang sound as I am fiddling with my classical music (just got spotify going ya know..) Not normally a classic music guy (More Van Halen, if you're asking.) but wanted to crank it and see how many instruments I could hear on the new system (how could I not). Mustang screams down the road, oh... another red light. I come not so eloquently gliding up with a slight hold and accelerator stutter combo. This time I take my focus off spotify's top classical picks. I look over to my right, he's looking at me and I am looking at him. I haven't drag raced anyone in 20 years... I look away. Light turns green, mustang goes but with less fervor this time. I blip my accelerator and seemingly, instantly pop up to his side, he doesn't like this and mashes his gas with all his ponies roaring (wow, it sounds so good). I blip again from maybe 40% to 50%, I don't know, all this is new to me, but it feels about half power. I pass him.. He keeps pressing on and I blip again, easily keeping ahead until I coast (a little more smoothly this time) to the next light. At this point in time I am ashamedly feeling proud of myself and my victory, my pride likely unconsciously connected to my last victory over my little sister at tetherball (she was a foot shorter than me, I saw the opportunity and took it). But the story continues; I let the mustang catch up before the next light, roll down my window, give him a shaka sign and tell him "that's a sweet ride!" He says the same back..

We both went our separate ways and I was left with Spotify's top choice of what I should listen to: Biba Dupont's -Silhouette, playing so peacefully in the background. I had to wonder, what just happened, where did this new immature me come from? What if I would have gotten a "racing" reckless driving ticket I had read about online so many times before.... What if I got busted and my insurance goes up? What if my wife says this Tesla thing was a bad idea, you should sell it... <insert horror!!!!!> What was I thinking? I should not have done that..

Four blocks north and five blocks east I pull up to another red light and yet another non perfected hold accelerator stutter combo naturally comes into play, but eventually I come to a stop. I glance over; it's a Dodge Charger Hellcat and I can see all this from the corner of my eye... I know he's looking... This time I'm ready... I confidently reach down and turn up spotify, flutes, trombones, big brass horns and wood instruments blare within my new found world, echoing off the glass roof and circling around to memories of when I was fifteen and drove my first stick.

And I wait for it to turn green...

You are a great writer, I felt like I was sitting in the car with you.

I had a P3D- for a year and was worried from before I got it that, that immature kid in me would come out and potentially ruin a life.

I kept it in Chill most of the time. By the time I fumbled it into Sport mode it the "opportunity" was usually past. But that was the whole point.
I never raced anyone, not even once.

I put it Sport mode only to show friends and family to get a few giggles and chuckles and back it went into Chill.
It was like a brand new experience each time because it's like drugs and you get hooked in to driving/accelerating to fast around town.
It was always in a planned well controlled location.

I now have a Model X LR (which is about as fast as a AWD Model 3). Plenty fast enough to get in trouble with but not quite so giddy fast.

Be careful.

I have turned into a teenager again..

unless I put it in chill mode to purposely keep myself in check..I floor it at every light, like literally launch all out right when the light turns (obviously keeping an eye out for potential traffic that isnt paying attention)..im sure everyone think im an idiot. I wonder if this behavior will ever stop

If you are involved in a street race, even from a stoplight with you and some random other car, and the dude you are racing loses control and kills or injuries someone, you can be on the hook criminally for that act. Doesn't matter if you had nothing to do with the loss of control of the other car and you just stayed in your lane and didn't hit anything, you can potentially end up with jail time (what happened in the link I posted earlier).

The only time I punch it is on freeway onramps, and usually not when there's someone next to me. I'm more than comfortable knowing that I can beat just about any car on the road off the line and through the 1/4 mile.

I love the line from Ford vs Ferrari where they are so giddy that the car can do the 1/4 mile in 13.x seconds. That seems so slow!

I'd actually recommend you investigate your local race track. Almost all of them offer drag night (the cars, not the clothes). Our nearest one even has a "race against the cops" drag races.

I kept it in Chill most of the time. By the time I fumbled it into Sport mode it the "opportunity" was usually past. But that was the whole point.
I never raced anyone, not even once.

I put it Sport mode only to show friends and family to get a few giggles and chuckles and back it went into Chill.
It was like a brand new experience each time because it's like drugs and you get hooked in to driving/accelerating to fast around town.
It was always in a planned well controlled location.

Be careful.

Makes me wonder why you went with the performance model at all if you were going to keep it in Chill mode all the time. LR AWD would have been a better choice.

Makes me wonder why you went with the performance model at all if you were going to keep it in Chill mode all the time. LR AWD would have been a better choice.

Because it was late 2018 I was worried I would not get car before tax break expired and I got free SuperCharging. My original plan was to get an AWD. In the end I got $5K credit in exchange for losing free supercharging. So it only cost me $5K to get the performance. Which I easily got back when I sold it. And the free supercharging was worthless once I sold it. So it all worked out fine. My Model is not a Performance. No way I’d pay that much and have a huge hit on range. And I keep the X in standard mode which is faster than 3 was in Chill.

I can't tell you the number of times I have punched the accelerator at a signal. About the time we are across the intersection I look into the rear view mirror to the other cars way back there just getting up to speed. Another fun activity is to take on the hot shot motorcycle dude who zooms around cars to be at the front of the line when the light turns green. He gets frustrated when he can't leave a model S behind.

Wait until you do a spirited launch from a signal, just to enjoy the car. Not full throttle, just partial, followed by some guy coming up to you soon after saying, "That was a fun race."

"Were we racing? When was this?"

"At that signal before you pulled into the restaurant parking lot."

"I did not know we were racing. What were you driving?"

That happened to me in Vallejo, CA, back around 1990 (Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, with a lot of speed mods).

Yeah, drive a 4000 lb piece of machinery that goes 0-60 in roughly 3 seconds and launch it as hard as you can at a stop light with cross traffic and other drivers on the road with their families and children in the car while you are also enticing some idiot complete stranger in the next lane to do the same and all because you want to feel some kind of thrill of beating said idiot but you are too lazy to actually take it to a track where you could safely feel the exact same thrill in a controlled environment. That's brilliant. Bravo. You are so enlightened.

Most car forums don't allow stories of street racing to be posted so surprised this one does. There seems to be some kind of liability in doing so or maybe most site owners don't want to support that type of illegal behavior where someone can get killed.

People who make derogatory comments about the Special Olympics are the idiots of life.

Congrats, you just won the gold medal.
That tasteless Special Olympics comment was an experiment. It's funny (but predictable) that someone would respond to those few words (and not even a complete statement so you made up your own interpretation of it) but are indifferent about street racing idiots that are driving on the same roads as your friends and family. Goes to show you how people's sense of what's right and what's wrong in this world is often warped in a way that defies explanation.

That tasteless Special Olympics comment was an experiment. It's funny (but predictable) that someone would respond to those few words (and not even a complete statement so you made up your own interpretation of it) but are indifferent about street racing idiots that are driving on the same roads as your friends and family. Goes to show you how people's sense of what's right and what's wrong in this world is often warped in a way that defies explanation.

2RtGJXd.jpg