Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning!!! Model 3 will make you immature (again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First full day of driving my P3D today. Let me preface this with been driving over 30 years, only two speeding tickets.... :)

So I am cruising the main drag in Salt Lake (locals call it State Street), pull up to the stop light, being a total noob, still learning how to slow smoothly with hold on etc... Up comes a beautiful red Mustang GT rumbling like a banshee. Pulls up next to me at the red light. I peek over out of the corner of my eye to see if the driver is looking back at me,: he isn't, or is he, almost like he is looking out of the corner of his eye too... Younger guy (upper 20's, by my guess) with an even younger passenger riding shotgun (who definitely was looking over). Light turns green, mustang takes off with that wonderful mustang sound as I am fiddling with my classical music (just got spotify going ya know..) Not normally a classic music guy (More Van Halen, if you're asking.) but wanted to crank it and see how many instruments I could hear on the new system (how could I not). Mustang screams down the road, oh... another red light. I come not so eloquently gliding up with a slight hold and accelerator stutter combo. This time I take my focus off spotify's top classical picks. I look over to my right, he's looking at me and I am looking at him. I haven't drag raced anyone in 20 years... I look away. Light turns green, mustang goes but with less fervor this time. I blip my accelerator and seemingly, instantly pop up to his side, he doesn't like this and mashes his gas with all his ponies roaring (wow, it sounds so good). I blip again from maybe 40% to 50%, I don't know, all this is new to me, but it feels about half power. I pass him.. He keeps pressing on and I blip again, easily keeping ahead until I coast (a little more smoothly this time) to the next light. At this point in time I am ashamedly feeling proud of myself and my victory, my pride likely unconsciously connected to my last victory over my little sister at tetherball (she was a foot shorter than me, I saw the opportunity and took it). But the story continues; I let the mustang catch up before the next light, roll down my window, give him a shaka sign and tell him "that's a sweet ride!" He says the same back..

We both went our separate ways and I was left with Spotify's top choice of what I should listen to: Biba Dupont's -Silhouette, playing so peacefully in the background. I had to wonder, what just happened, where did this new immature me come from? What if I would have gotten a "racing" reckless driving ticket I had read about online so many times before.... What if I got busted and my insurance goes up? What if my wife says this Tesla thing was a bad idea, you should sell it... <insert horror!!!!!> What was I thinking? I should not have done that..

Four blocks north and five blocks east I pull up to another red light and yet another non perfected hold accelerator stutter combo naturally comes into play, but eventually I come to a stop. I glance over; it's a Dodge Charger Hellcat and I can see all this from the corner of my eye... I know he's looking... This time I'm ready... I confidently reach down and turn up spotify, flutes, trombones, big brass horns and wood instruments blare within my new found world, echoing off the glass roof and circling around to memories of when I was fifteen and drove my first stick.

And I wait for it to turn green...

First full day of driving my P3D today. Let me preface this with been driving over 30 years, only two speeding tickets.... :)

So I am cruising the main drag in Salt Lake (locals call it State Street), pull up to the stop light, being a total noob, still learning how to slow smoothly with hold on etc... Up comes a beautiful red Mustang GT rumbling like a banshee. Pulls up next to me at the red light. I peek over out of the corner of my eye to see if the driver is looking back at me,: he isn't, or is he, almost like he is looking out of the corner of his eye too... Younger guy (upper 20's, by my guess) with an even younger passenger riding shotgun (who definitely was looking over). Light turns green, mustang takes off with that wonderful mustang sound as I am fiddling with my classical music (just got spotify going ya know..) Not normally a classic music guy (More Van Halen, if you're asking.) but wanted to crank it and see how many instruments I could hear on the new system (how could I not). Mustang screams down the road, oh... another red light. I come not so eloquently gliding up with a slight hold and accelerator stutter combo. This time I take my focus off spotify's top classical picks. I look over to my right, he's looking at me and I am looking at him. I haven't drag raced anyone in 20 years... I look away. Light turns green, mustang goes but with less fervor this time. I blip my accelerator and seemingly, instantly pop up to his side, he doesn't like this and mashes his gas with all his ponies roaring (wow, it sounds so good). I blip again from maybe 40% to 50%, I don't know, all this is new to me, but it feels about half power. I pass him.. He keeps pressing on and I blip again, easily keeping ahead until I coast (a little more smoothly this time) to the next light. At this point in time I am ashamedly feeling proud of myself and my victory, my pride likely unconsciously connected to my last victory over my little sister at tetherball (she was a foot shorter than me, I saw the opportunity and took it). But the story continues; I let the mustang catch up before the next light, roll down my window, give him a shaka sign and tell him "that's a sweet ride!" He says the same back..

We both went our separate ways and I was left with Spotify's top choice of what I should listen to: Biba Dupont's -Silhouette, playing so peacefully in the background. I had to wonder, what just happened, where did this new immature me come from? What if I would have gotten a "racing" reckless driving ticket I had read about online so many times before.... What if I got busted and my insurance goes up? What if my wife says this Tesla thing was a bad idea, you should sell it... <insert horror!!!!!> What was I thinking? I should not have done that..

Four blocks north and five blocks east I pull up to another red light and yet another non perfected hold accelerator stutter combo naturally comes into play, but eventually I come to a stop. I glance over; it's a Dodge Charger Hellcat and I can see all this from the corner of my eye... I know he's looking... This time I'm ready... I confidently reach down and turn up spotify, flutes, trombones, big brass horns and wood instruments blare within my new found world, echoing off the glass roof and circling around to memories of when I was fifteen and drove my first stick.

I think we have all been there - I for one just can't resist the temptation to check my rear view mirror and floor it every now and again - but the strangest thing is that the M3 has actually made me into a kinder more chilled out driver - I think it is because I know that every time I take my foot off the accelerator I am charging my battery and so I am just too happy to stop and let others into my lane plus of course being a kind person at heart I don't want to speed past everyone so quick that they don't get a proper look at my Tess.

My favourite one at the moment is letting the guy next to me floor it off a red light and I give him 100 meters or so and then just glide past him like a feather blowing in the wind - that really gets them......

I really hate those movies that end leaving you to imagine what happened next....
There is a fan-made Tesla commercial featuring a guy in a Model 3 who had been grocery shopping. He pulls up to a signal. Guy in a Lambo or Ferrari (sorry, forgot which) pulls up next to him, gunning the engine. They look at each other. Camera goes to the red signal. It turns green.... Next scene is the guy unloading stuff from the frunk at home. We hear the sports car. Camera goes to road as it passes by. LOL. Dang it!

You should be a journalist!

Reactions: Gize
Definitely a writer of one sort or another. I run a professional writing service. Excellent writing always gets my attention. :)

Let me just say, it never gets old... I've been smiling at gas guzzlers for 4.5 years now. Accelerate hard up to the speed limit and then ease off the electrons without allowing your brake lights to activate - I tell you what!!! The drivers behind are befuddled, no noise, instant acceleration, fully under control and blending seamlessly into the traffic flow like some sort of... some sort of... Musk Mobile. JOY.

I'm 86 and have had my S for a little over a year. I was born in Detroit and have always had some sort on Hot Rod I had a gasser for a few years that was not street legal. In the 60's I was turning in the low 12's at the track. Then I bought my S , there is an onramp on hwy 50 in Folsom Ca. it's runs parallel to the freeway for about a 1/4 mile or so. Everybody are like ducks in a row but I look for a break in the traffic and floor it and i am in the commuter lane in seconds very exhilarating I think I even get flush faced.Then I put it on AP and head home.

Warning!!! Model 3 will make you immature (again)

In my case a costly event. Brought the pedal to the floor to try to keep up with an Audi RS6 (failed in that by the way). I think I saw my top speed 230km/h on the screen but did not see the police (a dark grey VW Golf) a few hunderd meters behind me. Lost my driving license for probably 4 months and I don't dare to look up for the fine. :-(

I urge restraint and disciplined responses. Young guys with high HP cars have a tendency to crash their old technology chassis cars, specially Ford Mustangs, drag racing and u could be held accountable. Not worth the thrill. Please consider advanced driver’s training courses to understand tire energy limitations, handling characteristics and proper braking techniques and limits. Once completed, go to a race track for thrills. Thanks

If you are involved in a street race, even from a stoplight with you and some random other car, and the dude you are racing loses control and kills or injuries someone, you can be on the hook criminally for that act. Doesn't matter if you had nothing to do with the loss of control of the other car and you just stayed in your lane and didn't hit anything, you can potentially end up with jail time (what happened in the link I posted earlier).
Hey mom i didn’t know you were on this forum!!

It is lots of fun in my Model X to blow the doors off every perceived threat! That is until I installed my State Farm low-rate-driving monitor which scores my driving. It is always looking over my shoulder, even punishing me when I slow down to avoid stopped traffic on the Interstate (What's up with that??). It's like having my Mother-in-law in the car with me...
Yeah i would toss that crap out the window. Aint worth a few bucks saved.

Your mom sounds like a smart woman.
Right......i used the term “mom” because your smart and not at all related to your controlling, over-bearing comment that attempted to force your views down our throats instead of just letting people enjoy their cars. I would hardly equate the op’s post to the latest fast and the furious movie. I mean he did mention smashing the accelerator pedal all of “50%” of available power. Oh the humanity!!!