Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - Model X Locking itself with key inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads-up for everyone, possibly a software update bug.

My model X just recently locked me out of the car. I stopped in line to wait for a supercharger and stepped out of the car briefly to throw something in a rubbish bin. My keys and phone were in the car and it locked itself as I walked away.

Had to call my wife from someone else's phone to open the car remotely...

That might me a good idea. Looks like the seat sensor does not work as advertised. As far as I understand, if nobody is sitting on the seat and the keys are in the car, it should remain unlocked.

I'd guess this is a safety feature that over looks one situation, that is the driver leaves the phone inside the car.

The car is drive-able when the key is inside, so with the key inside and no one sitting in the car, locking up the car makes perfect sense.
Otherwise it would make a opportunity for theft.

Maybe the software can be updated to warn the last person leaving the car that both the app and key is left in the car or near it?

No way should the car lock itself with the key inside. The app isn't a substitute for the key. It's susceptible to many failure modes, not the least of which simple cellular data connection failure on either car or phone.

Our other smart key vehicles won't allow locking the key in the car and neither should the Model X. If Auto lock is on and the key is left inside, it should just start beeping instead of locking just like most cars beep if you press the lock button on the door handle with the key inside.

For bonus points they can implement the second key logic that our Infiniti has. It allows you to lock the car with a key inside as long as you have a second key outside the car. This also prevents the key left inside from unlocking the car.

No way should the car lock itself with the key inside. The app isn't a substitute for the key. It's susceptible to many failure modes, not the least of which simple cellular data connection failure on either car or phone.

Our other smart key vehicles won't allow locking the key in the car and neither should the Model X. If Auto lock is on and the key is left inside, it should just start beeping instead of locking just like most cars beep if you press the lock button on the door handle with the key inside.

For bonus points they can implement the second key logic that our Infiniti has. It allows you to lock the car with a key inside as long as you have a second key outside the car. This also prevents the key left inside from unlocking the car.

Both are good and easily coded features to be pushed out through OTA update. Another Tweet Elon idea...

Were your keys and phone laying next to each other inside the car? Happened to me before and I noticed the auto present door handles won't work if my keys and phone are in the same pocket. It's due to the phone's radio frequency whatever interference; happens to my ICE car as well but more noticeably (won't work if key and phone is within 2 inches of each other) on the Tesla.

Were your keys and phone laying next to each other inside the car? Happened to me before and I noticed the auto present door handles won't work if my keys and phone are in the same pocket. It's due to the phone's radio frequency whatever interference; happens to my ICE car as well but more noticeably (won't work if key and phone is within 2 inches of each other) on the Tesla.

Yes, after talking to some guys about the issue that seems to be what the problem is.

So the consensus is to keep your phone and key fob apart, both in the car and in your pockets.

Since doing that, I have not had it happen again.