Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning! New Brake Pads and Discs after 13,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the fact that several cars have been delivered with a low brake fluid level and I've not read of any with a brake fluid leak, I'd top it up and monitor the situation rather than panic. One could always look under the car for a leak, but it seems using one's eyes is a a thing of the past, so I won't go there.:rolleyes:

Reactions: LongRanger
No I'm not joking. Brakes are a consumable just like tyres and require the owner to inspect from time to time and maintain as necessary. Just waiting until a scheduled service or until a warning light comes on can lead to problems. You have to use your eyes and look at them and take remedial action if required.

Nitpicking. Nevertheless, on a side note, having a different set of tyres for winter and summer, when tyres are up, I know it's time to get a new car.

Here is a good practice to seat the pads when new, or if you start to hear any noise like squeaking:

1) Find a nice open road without traffic (or speed cameras) and do this in decent weather vs during a rainy or foggy day with mist
2) Switch on low regen
3) Accelerate to 80-90 Kmh (50-60 Mph or so) and then apply firm and consistent braking down to 10 Kmh. Do not vary the pressure and be firm enough to start to generate some heat from the pads to the rotors.
4) Drive for 30 seconds at decent spead to cool slightly
5) repeat this process at least 5 times, I do it 6-8 times
6) VERY IMPORTANT: once this process is completed do not then park the car. Drive the car on the highway for 15 minutes or so to cool everything down. If you park right away you can risk having the heat transfer pad material in one spot to the rotors.

Your rotors and pads should now be in great shape with a perfect spread of pad material to the rotors. No noise, and excellent bite.

Ah yes! The old Italian brake tune up! ;-)

2) Switch on low regen
3) Accelerate to 80-90 Kmh (50-60 Mph or so) and then apply firm and consistent braking down to 10 Kmh. Do not vary the pressure and be firm enough to start to generate some heat from the pads to the rotors.
4) Drive for 30 seconds at decent spead to cool slightly
5) repeat this process at least 5 times, I do it 6-8 times

Or just drive around Milton Keynes

• Funny
Reactions: webbah
Are they still making a mess of the RHD brake fluid levels. Apparently it's due the brake pipes on the LHD being a little shorter but when they switch to RHD production they don't put in any more brake fluid. Christ it's been 15 months since I got my model 3 and they still haven't corrected that problem.

Top it up yourself. Or get the nice man at Halfords to do it for you. It's not difficult. The reservoir is just under the plastic cover above the front and it pops off easy enough. Reservoir had a line where the brake fluid should be. Type of brake fluid you need is in manual

Sounds like you've had your trousers pulled down. Our Nissan Leaf has 50,000 miles, hardly any wear with full single foot driving. Our Teslas are on full regen from new, no wear at 12k miles. A bit of surface corrosion is easily removed with a few hard braking sessions. My pickup truck sits for weeks at a time, it squeaks until I brake a few times to clean the rotors up.

Sorry misread - so we need to be stamping on these anchors every now and then?

One thing I have noticed is the regen braking force in the S is less than that in the 3 and I have found I am using the brakes considerably more.
Yes, brakes need to be used properly once in a while or they'll think they're not needed and go all crusty and useless.
It does seem to be more of an issue with the 3 so maybe the amount of regen available is making a difference?
Just turn your regen down and get those brakes smokin' every few weeks.

My Model X is due its MOT, so I took it in for a service and to get the yellow line fixed on the screen.

I asked what they do for service and they said they would just check the car over and see if anything was needed.

They told me they needed to do a brake strip and clean at £113. Fair enough, so I told them to do it.

Then they called back and said that they were recommending that all the brake pads and discs were changed at a cost of over £1000.

I said how could an EV with so few miles (18,000) need new pads and discs.

They said it was only a recomendation. I said fine, don't do it then. They said OK they would just put them back on..

I found it all somewhat strange. they didn't give any reason for recommending the brake replacement.

My Model X is due its MOT, so I took it in for a service and to get the yellow line fixed on the screen.

I asked what they do for service and they said they would just check the car over and see if anything was needed.

They told me they needed to do a brake strip and clean at £113. Fair enough, so I told them to do it.

Then they called back and said that they were recommending that all the brake pads and discs were changed at a cost of over £1000.

I said how could an EV with so few miles (18,000) need new pads and discs.

They said it was only a recomendation. I said fine, don't do it then. They said OK they would just put them back on..

I found it all somewhat strange. they didn't give any reason for recommending the brake replacement.
These days, i can't see any issues with any service centre or garage sending you photos of the condition of parts like these to demonstrate why they would need replacing. Otherwise, a simple explanation as to why they recommended replacement is the minimum.
Did you ask them for a reason?

You do have to watch Tesla (and probably every garage with way high service fees) recommending stuff as an easy earner. I've had tesla do a brake check/service the last two years but next year I think it's going locally where they'll let me do a visual while they clean and check stuff. It was an extra £200 for an alignment check the first year when i foolishly asked Tesla to give it a good look-over. Local garage reckon they charge under £25 for an alignment check - three times that and a bottle of scotch to make sure they don't skimp with the laser checks is still cheaper. So far they've only fixed punctures but they're happy for me to put it on/off their lift and check jack mode etc and have a good look at the underside.....