Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning on MX60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it. The Battery Management System (BMS) is probably given 60kwh as the size of the pack and doesn't know it's a limited 75kwh. It's just giving your advice based on it configuration. You can choose to ignore it and hopefully the BMS won't impose charging limits if you continue to ignore it. But charging to 90% may be a good habit to get into.

Reactions: boaterva
You guys are missing the point that a 60kWh Model is only 60 in name. It was widely reported that Tesla just software limited the 75 batteries to 60 and sold them cheaper. The upside, supposedly, was that you could charge a 60 to 100% of nominal charge since it's full capacity is already a safe percentage of the physical pack.

Here is another way to look at your question (which I think some of the posts above have missed.)

First, you are saying you paid for and received [roughly] 60 kWh of battery range, though you understand that they installed a 75 kWh battery [approx.] and then software-limited your car to only allow you to use 60 kWh of that battery because that's what you paid for and that was the deal. So far, I'm on board with you.

But your question pre-supposes that the 0% on your 60 kWh or range corresponds to 0% on the battery if it had not been software-limited. What about the POSSIBILITY that it's the 100% readings that are calibrated to each other? That is, what if 100% on your battery it the true "full" position and it is the bottom of the range -- where you are told you are out of power -- that is actually HIGHER than it would be in a true 60 kWh battery?

The truth, I suspect, is somewhere in between. That is, the software-limited battery is software-limited to the sweet spot middle, rather than tied to either end of the scale. Because allowing the battery to get too low or to spend too much time very low, is bad for the battery as well.

Here is another way to look at your question (which I think some of the posts above have missed.)

First, you are saying you paid for and received [roughly] 60 kWh of battery range, though you understand that they installed a 75 kWh battery [approx.] and then software-limited your car to only allow you to use 60 kWh of that battery because that's what you paid for and that was the deal. So far, I'm on board with you.

But your question pre-supposes that the 0% on your 60 kWh or range corresponds to 0% on the battery if it had not been software-limited. What about the POSSIBILITY that it's the 100% readings that are calibrated to each other? That is, what if 100% on your battery it the true "full" position and it is the bottom of the range -- where you are told you are out of power -- that is actually HIGHER than it would be in a true 60 kWh battery?

The truth, I suspect, is somewhere in between. That is, the software-limited battery is software-limited to the sweet spot middle, rather than tied to either end of the scale. Because allowing the battery to get too low or to spend too much time very low, is bad for the battery as well.
The software limited 60D S & X cars are top limited. Many people (including myself) updated their cars with a "full" 60 battery to see it go to 86% when the 75 update was applied.

You raise an interesting point. If this is the case, then MX60 owners *should * be able to drive a certain amount of miles past empty.

Reactions: JHWJR
You raise an interesting point. If this is the case, then MX60 owners *should * be able to drive a certain amount of miles past empty.

It only charges to the 60kw. Another words if you run out of juice and unlock the car, you will not get another 15kw of power/range....ask me how I know.

I didn't actually run out of juice, but I full charged my 60's all the time. When I upgraded to a 75D I went from a 100% full charge to needing to charge again after the upgrade. So it is definitely top limited as others have said.

I'm getting the warning that I shouldn't be charging to 100% on my MX60D, but from what I understand, I have a 75 batter, so I should be charging to 100% all the time.

Shouldn't the system be smart enough to know that?

Tesla doesn't want to actively acknowledge that with the 60's which is why you still get the message. Otherwise you would essentially realize that unless you have a long drive that your usage is actually about the same as a 75D and the upgrade cost is cash flow to them.

Side note, but do you really get 245 miles in X75D ??

No...that must either be a conversion, a Model S, or in ideal rated. The MX75D tops out at 237mi under the rated calculation. The rest depends on driving.

I get ~155 @ 90% and ~180mi @ 100% in cold weather. In warm weather I'll get about 15% more. Those numbers are based on actual miles traveled and not displayed.