TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warning: Rainbow easter egg on charge port may be harmful to your EVSE

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by FlasherZ, May 13, 2016.

1. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Today my HPWC, a trusty device delivering for 3 1/2 years, decided to give up the ghost. It's a failure of the main board.

Over the past week, as evidenced by my app's notifications on my phone, my kids have enjoyed playing with the rainbow charge-port easter egg about 20 times.

I recommend not exercising this easter egg repeatedly, it may have had something to do with my HPWC failure. While correlation does not imply causation, it's probably not good for the EVSE.

I also noted it here:
    HPWC failure

• Informative x 2
  2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

How could these two things possibly be connected?

No snark intended.

3. FlasherZ

#3 FlasherZ, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    To make the rainbow charger easter egg work, you have to click the charger button 10 times. If the car has already started charging, it causes the contactors in the HPWC or UMC to disengage and re-engage repeatedly, and exercises the proximity circuits repeatedly as well.

In my case the main board of HPWC failed. As I note, correlation doesn't imply causation, but in an abundance of caution, I'd avoid over-exercising the rainbow charging easter egg.

• Informative x 2
  4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Oh no! The easter egg is nice, but I think they can switch to another way to activate it, such as through the use of the center console.

5. FlasherZ

Over in this thread here...
    Effects of charging on home service voltage
    ...I talk about how I discovered my voltage has been running a bit high over the past couple of weeks (since a storm). This may be a contributing factor to the HPWC's failure as well, or it could be a combination of the two -- easter egg frequent disconnects and high-voltage stress. I won't be able to gather any more details, as Tesla now has the original HPWC for any failure analysis they want to do.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Someone else stated you could just hold the button down for more than 10 seconds but it did not work for me.

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Given all the bugs in the Model X and all the features people have been clamoring for on both cars (like a better functioning nav), surely Tesla engineers have better use of their time?

8. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I have not been able to get that particular EE to work, but as my car charges from 3am+ I don't think I'm missing much anyway...