Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning, rebooting v10 on MCU1 while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here...I was the SW architect for a Space Shuttle computer.
Based on the testing we did way back then and how we are able to do so much automated testing today I think Tesla should be doing better on minimizing regressions

With regression appearing, I wonder if they actually have an open source development environment going and having difficulty keeping up with enough unit testing. Is the software being developed by a small group of developers at Tesla or is some of this farmed out?

Ditto. Having worked in IT/IT management for over 20 years I find no fault in their process with the lone exception that when a system crash happens, it's not someone's desktop in their bedroom where they may lose some file they were working on. It's traveling down a highway at high speed where lives are at stake.
So what you're saying is Tesla designed a desktop computer for a car, as opposed to an automotive quality car computer? Hopefully Boeing won't follow this approach to save costs.

Last edited:
I am sorry to inform you that your mcu is dead or dying.

just to recap, the car has flash memory partitioned in 2 main active partitions. One is the one thatbholds the running firmware, and the other one is for updating and its offline. When you update, update gets downloaded and installed on the offline partition then mcu reboots switching to the updated partition as the main firmware memory.

memory on mcu1 dies because of too many writes over its life by the logs of the car. Thats a linux problem and tesla implementation problem.

i have 3 mcu1 cars running 2019.32.12.2 and 2019.32.2.2 and i tried all 3 and it takes 1:45 to full reboot while autopilot was on with navigate on autopilot enabled.

long story short, if you uave warranty go to service and ask for new mcu, if you dont have warranty contact me for next step (before your car dies completely and you cant get vpn keys anymore for your car) and at least do a backup of your vpn keys and car config files etc.

this is not a firmware issue. Your flash memory is dying and it just so happen to have been on the offline partition. The update then made that online and now you see errors.
I am sorry to report that you are probably right about my MCU dying. I applied an update recently for the MCU1 car. After the update I triggered a reboot (at the same spot as before) and this time it only took 2 minutes to reboot. So, either they fixed something in the update, or as you say my emmc is dying in one of the partitions and after the update it switched to the not-yet-faulty partition.

On the other hand, browser is dead-dead, rebooting no longer makes it work at all (not even google search), so maybe that is Tesla's fix, kill the browser so people don't feel the need to reboot every time they drive to try to revive the browser. Or, in standard Tesla process (of no process) they broke it completely when adding some MCU2 feature, or maybe while tuning the fart noises.

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me
So what you're saying is Tesla designed a desktop computer for a car, as opposed to an automotive quality car computer? Hopefully Boeing won't follow this approach to save costs.

No. What I am saying is ALL software has bugs and the only way to find and fix them is through QA and user testing but when lives are at stake, perhaps slow and steady is a better approach than "let's update every two weeks and cause systems to reboot, car alarms to go off, or headlights to flash in sporadic patterns".

And yes - Linux running on a Intel Atom meets the definition of a desktop computer (and a relatively low power one) in my eyes.