Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning regarding warranty repairs in Vancouver/Lower Mainland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to warn anyone waiting for warranty repairs (aka any defects you find when you take delivery) or you plan to pick up your new car in Vancouver/Lower Mainland.

I picked up my Y at the Great Northern Way location (Vancouver) in Q3. It had a few issues but nothing as glaring as mismatched bumpers that (still) affect white paint.

There’s 2 shops locally that handle warranty repairs. I can’t say how the quality compares with the other shop but I’d say it’s likely not as bad as the one I was assigned to in Richmond (you don’t get a choice which shop handles your warranty repairs).

My big mistake was that I was confident the body shop taking care of the warranty repairs would be reputable and provide good quality.

Without boring everyone with my “oh, that’s never happened before stories”, DO NOT take delivery if the car requires ANY paint work AND/OR door alignment issues. If you’re unlucky and agree to wait for paint repairs (be prepared to wait at least 4+ months), make sure to thoroughly inspect your car upon pick up (just like you would at delivery). Regarding door alignment, there’s an extremely high chance the work they do on one door will cause the other to get worse, leaving you to deal with it in the end. After my 3rd visit and getting Tesla involved, the shop finally said they’d do what they can to the door (that became misaligned after they worked on the adjacent door) it’s now 6 out of 10 vs. 3 out of 10. Meaning, it’s now within spec, right?

TL;DR:
Wait for the ONE no matter how long it takes. I refused delivery once and looking back at what a crappy experience this has been, I should have refused delivery again. The local shop handling warranty repairs screwed up 5 times, twice with paint (literally amateur hour) and damaged parts. Thanks to this experience, I now have extremely high anxiety if someone needs to work on my car..

Is situation still bad? I am looking in trade in anytime now for Model Y but again the only holdback is quality.

Quality has improved but make sure to thoroughly check everything at delivery, even the undercarriage (mine had pre-existing cracks in the rear shield.. that I noticed after delivery).

With paint, make sure there’s no chips, dents or mismatched colour (primarily affects white paint). If the only issue happens to be a dent, they’ll fill and repaint the panel vs. PDR (much less evasive). So, if a dent is the only issue, take it to a local PDR shop rather than go through warranty repair. Door alignment is a bit tricky... rear doors seem to be much easier to align than driver or passenger doors. If they’re slightly off, don’t worry about it.

Also, wheel alignment could be a bit off too, you’ll notice right away when you drive it. That’s something any new car might have an issue with though. I recommend taking it to an independent shop as well.

That’s good you’re going to trade in... I sold my car the day before my 1st delivery and it took another 3 months until I got the 2nd :| If I do this again, I’ll make sure I keep my car before I take delivery. Good luck!!

Quality has improved but make sure to thoroughly check everything at delivery, even the undercarriage (mine had pre-existing cracks in the rear shield.. that I noticed after delivery).

With paint, make sure there’s no chips, dents or mismatched colour (primarily affects white paint). If the only issue happens to be a dent, they’ll fill and repaint the panel vs. PDR (much less evasive). So, if a dent is the only issue, take it to a local PDR shop rather than go through warranty repair. Door alignment is a bit tricky... rear doors seem to be much easier to align than driver or passenger doors. If they’re slightly off, don’t worry about it.

Also, wheel alignment could be a bit off too, you’ll notice right away when you drive it. That’s something any new car might have an issue with though. I recommend taking it to an independent shop as well.

That’s good you’re going to trade in... I sold my car the day before my 1st delivery and it took another 3 months until I got the 2nd :| If I do this again, I’ll make sure I keep my car before I take delivery. Good luck!!

Sigh... your comments are not reassuring at all. BTW, i am wondering if you guys think that the RWD is good enough for unshoveled snow driving.

Sigh... your comments are not reassuring at all. BTW, i am wondering if you guys think that the RWD is good enough for unshoveled snow driving.

Sorry I really didn’t mean to make you worry! I just had a heck of a time getting things right and wanted to give a heads up to anyone before they possibly go through the same experience. I’m one of a few, that’s for sure.

The car will be super fun to drive and things like acceleration boost make it even more fun. And once you get a few accessories, it’s hard to stop lol.

I think RWD will be fine as long as you have proper snow tires :)

I drove a LR RWD through two Ontario winters including multiple trips between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. It was as good as any AWD car I'd had with no need to adapt any differently. Weight and low center of gravity helps a lot and RWD vs FWD is better too. As always with any car, a decent set of winter tires is the #1 factor.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I drove a LR RWD through two Ontario winters including multiple trips between Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. It was as good as any AWD car I'd had with no need to adapt any differently. Weight and low center of gravity helps a lot and RWD vs FWD is better too. As always with any car, a decent set of winter tires is the #1 factor.
Yeah, the RWD Model Y with 7 seats seems “best value”.