TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Warning: San Diego Tint & PPF Shop

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mjp462, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mjp462

mjp462 Member

I need to warn everyone about the worst shop in San Diego. The shop is located in Vista and is called California Wraps.

The owner quoted me $900 for Suntek tint to do the windshield, sun roof and all sides. And $1,600 for the front end Suntek clear bra; front bumper, hood, side mirrors and both front fenders.

The final product was super sloppy. Looks like they didn't even wash the car before applying the PPF. He put a small scratch in my front bumper and told me it was just a water bubble that will go away. The tint looks pretty terrible considering the price I paid. There are tint creases in the windshield and sun roof. The 22 year old owner was dishonest with me and has probably been in business for 6 months. I made a HUGE mistake trusting this amateur with my brand-new Telsa. I just want to warn others in San Diego as there are plenty of shops with great reputations that will not rip you off.

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. RBowen

RBowen Member

Thanks for the warning. I recently had a bad experience as well and learned that the installer is everything. The installer that redid my clear wrap said it took him at least two years to become confident in his trade.

• Love x 1
  3. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#3 TaoJones, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Yikes. Condolences for the bad experience.

Thanks for this reminder that installer oversight (of his crew) and quality is everything.

After researching extensively every recommended shop from San Diego to the Bay Area and then some, I was reminded that any shop is only as good as its weakest link (and then their ability to make things right if/as necessary).

It's interesting that whenever I recommend a shop for either tint or paint correction and protection or all three, the first question I get is about price. It's not about price comparisons - it's about skill level and track record, and then all of that in our case with Teslas as a subset of the shop's overall trade.

Condolences again. You had the right things specified to get done (windshield, front end and so forth). A cautionary tale indeed.

Addendum: And for those tweenst the Bay Area and San Diego (or for anyone who's up for a road trip to Orange County), I continue to recommend without reservation Extreme Autowerks (formerly of Cerritos, now in Brea) for tint, wraps, paint correction and protection (e.g., OptiCoat Pro Plus), as well as for their C-Bond products which, respectively, make tinted glass harder to penetrate and windshields less prone to damage from pebbles and such. Ask for Bing or Ryan.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. 355rockit

355rockit Member

I would recommend Modern Image for clear-bra and window tint. Evan did my Ferrari, F-Type and FRS and did an outstanding job. He is located off Miramar Road in San Diego, but will pickup and drop-off if needed. I am located in North County San Diego and he did pickup and drop-off for me.
    Modern Image - Clear Bra, Car Wraps, Window Tint

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. mjp462

mjp462 Member

I wish I had gone to Modern Image! They were on my short list. Like I said, I made a HUGE mistake trusting my Tesla to California Wraps. I just hope I can prevent others from the same mistake.

6. Brady12

Brady12 Member

Sorry to hear!!

If anyone is in the Bay Area, I highly recommend Joe, Alex and the team at OCDetailing located in Fremont!!!! I just got my car back and I cannot be more happy!!!!!

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Sorry to hear that mate. Nothing worse than a crappy job on one’s pride and joy.
    Thanks for letting others know.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Graffi

Graffi Member

Anyone in the San Diego area need a reliable high-end detailer who can do all this protection and do quality work please try D'elegance Detailing. They do complete prep work before installing coatings, and also do any Tinting, clear bra PPF, vehicle wraps, and much more. They have done wonderful work on all my cars.

I can't stress enough the importance of proper prep work before you lay any protection down. They do a lot of repair work due to other shops faulty installations.

Modern Image is a nice location, but a bit overpriced IMHO. Also I noticed Modern Image has a lot of relatively new people who do the detailing. Whereas D'elegance have been doing it for over 20 years. Also the owner of MI does not do any detail work or installs.

For me personally the choice was clear.

d-elegancedetailing.com
    Email:
    [email protected]
    Phone:
    619-718-0031

You will never have to post anything like the OP if you use these guys.

9. RBowen

RBowen Member

I took my Midnight Silver Model 3 to RPM Tesla in south Orange County -- about an hour and 20 minutes from Balboa Park depending on traffic. I had the entire front end and all four doors clear-wrapped. The owner, Mark, has a great reputation for standing behind his products. Danny did the install in their special ‘booth.’ It has a drive-on lift which helps the installer reach all of the low places on the car. Danny’s work was simply outstanding. High recommended.

RPM Tesla.