TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Warning screen: "Tires too hot"

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by NigelM, May 31, 2014.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This is new for me and I didn't find anything on a search. My wife was driving this morning, air temp is in the low 90s so not unusual, when she got a warning bing and the message "Tires too hot." She didn't note the error code but after tapping the screen she then got a warning to check the right front pressure (it's fine btw).

i wasn't aware that there are even temp sensors in the wheels.....? Can anyone educate me?

2. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

The Roadster has temp sensors integrated into the TPMS. It can be displayed via OVMS.

3. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

If you engage the parking brake and go into Info (i) and Tires it'll show you the pressure and temperature of each tire. It takes a few minutes of driving to pick up all the readings.

This the first I've heard of an error for overheated tires. It could be a bad sensor. I've melted my tires on a track and the error never came up.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I knew about the TPMS and how to see the pressures but never knew there were temp limits....wonder what the actual limit numbers are?

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do you have OVMS? It tells you the tire temperatures. I've never seen this error before though.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Tires too hot would generally mean not enough pressure, really bad alignment, or a combination. It could also happen if a brake caliper caused the pads to continually rub on the rotor.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well she needs to stop doing standing burn outs to start.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Thanks for the reminders regarding seeing tire temps. Surprise, surprise...yesterday my car started showing a warning that the "TPMS Monitor Requires Service". Time to call the service center.

9. Owner

Owner Active Member

#9 Owner, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    oops...did not realize this was a Roadster warning....my comments were about the Model S (I scan new posts and used to have a Roadster).

I got a brief warning the other day about tire pressure too high, but it went away after a few seconds. Are you sure it said "too hot" not "too high"?

I had a flaky TPMS on one wheel for a long time, nothing to really worry about. Get it fixed eventually.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I had that same error a few years ago - bad sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely was a "too hot" error.