Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning Statements related to TACC and Autopilot in Owners Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprisingly I often learn something new every time I read an area of concern in the manual. What stood out to me is the warnings don't state the obvious. TACC nor AP will not stop the car for red lights nor stop signs. I work in and industry that is very concerned about safety. Our warming statements consist of stating what the hazard is followed by consequence followed by mitigation.

WARNING: Not holding the steering wheel and being ready to take control of the car at all times while using TACC or AP can lead to injury or death. Always hold steering wheel while operating TACC or AP.

I think if you're using TACC, you should probably have a little more input than just holding the steering wheel... :rolleyes:

I don't know at what point, legally, they are implying liability. Maybe they have to be careful of that? I mean, if they acknowledge that some action could cause death, don't they have some implied responsibility for preventing that action? I dunno.

Lots of actions in driving a car could result in death. but they are not spelled out in the owner's manual.

I think if you're using TACC, you should probably have a little more input than just holding the steering wheel... :rolleyes:

I don't know at what point, legally, they are implying liability. Maybe they have to be careful of that? I mean, if they acknowledge that some action could cause death, don't they have some implied responsibility for preventing that action? I dunno.

Lots of actions in driving a car could result in death. but they are not spelled out in the owner's manual.
Writing a proper warning actually would protect them from liability if the driver chooses to not follow the warning. Anyone could say you didn't warn me about red lights. Cautiona are a lower form of warning that could lead to damage to equipment etc,