Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning: Tesla punished me $4000 on adding configurations to my orders when reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have a very tricky issue to punish anybody to add configurations to the order when reservation period. I order Model Y in Sep with FSD ordered, and this Monday my parents questioned do we need $10000 for the full FSD. I was very tangled about whether or not to order the FSD with $10000 or just take the subscription in the future. I removed the FSD feature in the morning on my order online, and afternoon I want to add it back cause I thought it could raised price in next Jan when delivered to order that time. So I called customer service sales to re-add the FSD, and they didn't tell me it gonna change my car price as my price is in Sep. And then after the order changed to re-add FSD, I found my car price just be $4000 more! It is the same price on the latest model Y price now. I was very angry, and called customer service & go to showroom to ask for the change, this is unfair just re-add a FSD feature and it gonna charge me $4000 to change to latest price! But they said it is in the agreement, any add new configuration will be regard a latest order with latest car price, it is definitely wrong, they didn't tell me to be careful about the price may change on the confirration change when I ordered the car, or talked with sales in the online meeting, or have the test drive in showroom, they just ignored the important policy that is definitely very easy to happen when during the reservation for a long time to wait for delivery, they didn't tell me anything about the policy.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 6.23.36 PM.png

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date."

Pretty clear, actually, but it sounds like from your first post that you were expecting them to tell you not to make changes, or say " You know mr. customer, if you make this change you will suffer this consequence". Its the customers job to understand what they are asking for when they make changes. If they ask "Are you sure???" they likely get accused of "hard sell" tactics.

View attachment 730854

"If you make changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date."

Pretty clear, actually, but it sounds like from your first post that you were expecting them to tell you not to make changes, or say " You know mr. customer, if you make this change you will suffer this consequence". Its the customers job to understand what they are asking for when they make changes. If they ask "Are you sure???" they likely get accused of "hard sell" tactics.
Even when I get back to look at the terms, I still don't see it clearly show there is pay or fee regarding to make the configuration change. So what is the meaning for the initial deposit fee $250, it should be lock the price when paid the initial deposit. I can say Tesla is not friendly to customers who are not English native language like me, obviously Tesla is playing the words game and it will seize the opportunity to charge more when customers make some mistakes like not understanding every word of the agreement. Many dealers meets this situation they will revert or go back last setting to fix the issue, satisfy customer as first priority, also it is first time happen and it should be a easy fix. I know Tesla is a great innovative company, but on this point, it is not a customer friendly company, not even willing to help customer to fix a simple issue. And from the history tesla has many conflicts with customers, I don't want to list here for sensitive reason, what I learn is don't trust the sales online, you can find somebody trust in the showroom, and always be careful with tesla may play words game, always ask for any fee happens/different when doing some change, you gonna be very careful to deal with Tesla!

Nah, man. This is a thing. I locked my order and then decided to spring for the white seats a week later - until I saw the price had gone up $1k. They don’t just add to the order - they create a new purchase agreement with a new price. And the price they pull for the base is the current pricing. So, black seats it is for me.

Even when I get back to look at the terms, I still don't see it clearly show there is pay or fee regarding to make the configuration change.

I posted the relevant section, and also quoted the exact verbiage it says. Take a look again at what I posted, if you are genuinely saying " I dont see it". None of this changes your responsibility for the contract, though, and as far as "word games" its pretty clear in the text I copied that is directly from the agreement in the link I also shared.

It doesnt read like Legalese to me, nor fine print, its very clear that any changes mean you get the new pricing now.

There is plenty that tesla does that they should be blasted for, but "I didnt read the contract so its not my fault" isnt one.

I can see being upset over a software configuration change but it's clearly marked in the terms of sale in the contract that you e-signed as part of the order process. Making configuration changes triggers a re-pricing event. Tesla is not trying to trick anyone, they're trying to lock in a build with a confirmed buyer, build the car and get their money. Constantly shifting around configurations when you're a "build to order" automaker would be a logistical nightmare, which is partially why Tesla puts a little friction in this process, and also why they don't offer a large array of configuration possibilities.

If you think you'll walk into a car dealer and find anyone you can "trust", I'm afraid your faith is badly misplaced.

Nah, man. This is a thing. I locked my order and then decided to spring for the white seats a week later - until I saw the price had gone up $1k. They don’t just add to the order - they create a new purchase agreement with a new price. And the price they pull for the base is the current pricing. So, black seats it is for me.
They can pull the price before you make an order. My case is worse they didn't tell me what gonna happen on my order for just re-order the FSD😡, if they tell me it gonna be $4000 more of course I will stay before. But after making order it cannot revert to back, the $4000 is gone. I didn't see any seller have this Overlord Clause before.

• Disagree
Reactions: Camryguy
Tesla have a very tricky issue to punish anybody to add configurations to the order when reservation period. I order Model Y in Sep with FSD ordered, and this Monday my parents questioned do we need $10000 for the full FSD. I was very tangled about whether or not to order the FSD with $10000 or just take the subscription in the future. I removed the FSD feature in the morning on my order online, and afternoon I want to add it back cause I thought it could raised price in next Jan when delivered to order that time. So I called customer service sales to re-add the FSD, and they didn't tell me it gonna change my car price as my price is in Sep. And then after the order changed to re-add FSD, I found my car price just be $4000 more! It is the same price on the latest model Y price now. I was very angry, and called customer service & go to showroom to ask for the change, this is unfair just re-add a FSD feature and it gonna charge me $4000 to change to latest price! But they said it is in the agreement, any add new configuration will be regard a latest order with latest car price, it is definitely wrong, they didn't tell me to be careful about the price may change on the confirration change when I ordered the car, or talked with sales in the online meeting, or have the test drive in showroom, they just ignored the important policy that is definitely very easy to happen when during the reservation for a long time to wait for delivery, they didn't tell me anything about the policy.
I thought to do the same but my sales advisor suggested not to do any configuration changes as it may eventually point to the new price.. its really upset that tesla is doing giving such a shocks :( ... i feel sorry for you on that $4000 price increase :(

I thought to do the same but my sales advisor suggested not to do any configuration changes as it may eventually point to the new price.. its really upset that tesla is doing giving such a shocks :( ... i feel sorry for you on that $4000 price increase :(
Thanks! Nothing I can do but I just have no budget to have the FSD with full price😢 And if I go to showroom to discuss with some people that shouldn't happen this, not saving some time on the phone chat but have misunderstand.

I would be mad too. FSD is a software feature that can be added to the car after delivery. It has zero impact on the manufacture of the car. I’m kind of surprised that adding or removing it would cause a change to the base price. It’s kind of like deciding to add premium floor mats to the car after your initial order and then discovering that Tesla added $4K to the price because you changed your order. Well, I guess that would have to be really fancy, $10K floor mats.

I can definitely see why it would be troubling that FSD, a software bit flip, triggers a reprice. Adding a friction point in the process - "You really sure you want to do this?" - could be perceived as coercive or manipulative and cause other issues for Tesla. At the end of the day, you signed a legally binding purchase agreement, and in the terms and conditions its pretty clear they are allowed to make these changes.

Language barriers / ESL - if I were in Barcelona, and signed Tesla's purchase agreement in Spanish, I'm pretty sure no judicial system would side with me regarding any sort of confusion or difficulty comprehending on my part, nor would the "locals" be very sympathetic of my plight. Hopefully this is useful in terms of framing the reactions you're seeing here.

Reactions: Obiwanjr
I'm so sorry you had to find this out the hard way. Recently, I was toying with the idea of making an edit to my original order, but when I went to edit my order online I noticed that the page had all of the new prices. After looking around the message boards, here, I realized that an edit, at this point, would mean that I'd have to pay the current prices for my configuration. This wasn't clear and while it is not deceptive, it is somewhere in that gray area because the policy is buried somewhere in the fine print of the purchase order agreement.

I don’t see anything Tesla did wrong about this.

On the bright side...Without getting FSD at the time of your car purchase, you won't have to pay California registration/license fees for it (as those fees are calculated on the price of the car + options).

You'll still pay sales tax on FSD whether you get it with the car or get it later, so no savings there...

Reactions: SPACE_EX
On the bright side...Without getting FSD at the time of your car purchase, you won't have to pay California registration/license fees for it (as those fees are calculated on the price of the car + options).

You'll still pay sales tax on FSD whether you get it with the car or get it later, so no savings there...
I have heard from multiple sources to NOT get FSD with order and do it after you take delivery, if you really want it. Even my SA told me to not get it at time of Order and if Autopilot was not enough for me, then get it.

I have heard from multiple sources to NOT get FSD with order and do it after you take delivery, if you really want it. Even my SA told me to not get it at time of Order and if Autopilot was not enough for me, then get it.
I was worried FSD will raise price next Jan at that moment and with a little anxious I re-order the FSD, I just didn't know tesla can do the price match to latest, usually when you order something with deposit that will lock the price, like mortgage rate, I have never seen the price can be changed to expensive way before when I was in US for more than 10 years, it is just first time I deal with Tesla product. There are many things tesla shows they are not friendly to customer on this issue, it doesn't show final price online to warn the price change when I do the order change after reservation online, sales on phone didn't tell me it gonna change when I check with him whether can do this change, the sales who I ordered the car in Sep didn't tell me the message also, they all ignored for this potential probably happen. I write the post just to warn people to be careful to deal with tesla sales & policy, for this term, if they just ignore it to tell the customer at beginning they are definitely unprofessional and ridiculous policy also.

Reactions: turrmoil
I was worried FSD will raise price next Jan at that moment and with a little anxious I re-order the FSD, I just didn't know tesla can do the price match to latest, usually when you order something with deposit that will lock the price, like mortgage rate, I have never seen the price can be changed to expensive way before when I was in US for more than 10 years, it is just first time I deal with Tesla product. There are many things tesla shows they are not friendly to customer on this issue, it doesn't show final price online to warn the price change when I do the order change after reservation online, sales on phone didn't tell me it gonna change when I check with him whether can do this change, the sales who I ordered the car in Sep didn't tell me the message also, they all ignored for this potential probably happen. I write the post just to warn people to be careful to deal with tesla sales & policy, for this term, if they just ignore it to tell the customer at beginning they are definitely unprofessional and ridiculous policy also.
They may raise the price as the beta progresses, but if history is any indication, they have "sales" on it occasionally where the price is less...