Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - the Tesla stories are coming, be prepared.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Samsung reveals its own 2170 battery, set for production in 2021, meanwhile at the Nevada Gigafactory it's business as usual.
Samsung unveils its own ‘2170’ battery cell to compete with Tesla/Panasonic and new battery enabling 370-mile EV range & 20 mins charging
A very long lead time, 2021 to enter production, that's at least four full years from now!! Great claims on the stats but it is four years before mass production, look just how much Tesla 'squeezed' out of the 18650 format and they have stated the 2170 is the highest energy density battery on the market. It will be interesting to see how many improvements are made now that Tesla has an in house Pansonic/Tesla development team and their own manufacturing process and probably several hundred GwH of batteries to build in the next four years. I honestly think many of these companies are just leaving it too late to compete and will end up offering poor quality products and long lead times to significant volume production. Luckily for them the market is far too vast for Tesla to swallow up in one go!!

A very long lead time, 2021 to enter production, that's at least four full years from now!! Great claims on the stats but it is four years before mass production, look just how much Tesla 'squeezed' out of the 18650 format and they have stated the 2170 is the highest energy density battery on the market. It will be interesting to see how many improvements are made now that Tesla has an in house Pansonic/Tesla development team and their own manufacturing process and probably several hundred GwH of batteries to build in the next four years. I honestly think many of these companies are just leaving it too late to compete and will end up offering poor quality products and long lead times to significant volume production. Luckily for them the market is far too vast for Tesla to swallow up in one go!!
Which is exactly what they did to Apple. Samsung doesn't develop, they steal.

What a joke. Am I right in assuming that Tesla's sales figures are not included in that article since they don't release them publicly? So given the massive share of new EV sales that Tesla has (estimated 60-80%) that makes the figures, and therefore the entire message of the article, completely inaccurate.

What a joke. Am I right in assuming that Tesla's sales figures are not included in that article since they don't release them publicly? So given the massive share of new EV sales that Tesla has (estimated 60-80%) that makes the figures, and therefore the entire message of the article, completely inaccurate.

Tesla don't adhere to Vfacts, Joshua as a National motoring writer would know that but has conveniently overlooked it, he also overlooks the fact that it's extremly difficult to purchase a factory fresh EV from a dealership unless it's a BMW i3, the gentleman is one of a long list of media personal who write clickbait articles under the false pretence of journalism.

I laugh when I read or hear anti-Tesla rants. The demand for Teslas is so great that it will be years before Tesla can produce enough cars to keep up. So the stories do nothing to hurt Tesla. Even if the new Congress/administration cancels all the tax breaks for EVs, that will hurt buyers, but the demand will still exceed supply. And by the time Tesla has the manufacturing capacity to meet demand, the public will have seen what great cars they are.

The same thing happened with the Prius at the beginning: Loads of rants about what a horrible car it was. Early adopters waited for months to get one, and by the time Toyota could build enough to meet demand, the car had gone mainstream.

Range and battery cost and weight are limiting factors for EVs and an EV will not be for everyone. You kind of need your own parking at your house (not just on-street parking). But in a few more years, Tesla will be widely seen as just another maker of high-quality cars that just happen to be electric. There will always be haters. There are still people who hate all Japanese cars. But those people will be irrelevant to the overall car market.

You kind of need your own parking at your house (not just on-street parking).

I imagine that as EVs become more popular, there will be more and more demand (e.g. on councils) to try to come with solutions to these sorts of problems. To early yet however, the demand isn't there - and will initially have the circular problem in that people in this situation won't buy EVs so there won't be any demand.

Joshua Dowling had his finger on the pulse of electric vehicles as far back as December 2014, he declared them DOA back then, he made that call a bit early, glad this blokes just a media hack and not a GP.

Electric car’s plug pulled in Australia

Looking back it was a train wreck of an article.

That train wreck would put anyone of, $50,000 to install a 32A 3 phase charger!! $10,000 to hook up single phase!!!! That's nuts!! Single phase should not require anything to be done to almost every home. Most boards would have sufficient capacity to install.

Let's hope their car batteries are a little more successful than their phone batteries.
To be fair to Samsung, their industrial strength batteries used by utilities have had no problems. Also, but for the grace of God...
Samsung had been doing it's own QC final validation and has switched to a non-affiliated entity, IIRC.
We all have a good time denigrating the opposition, but most of us probably wish them well. BTW, the Samsung relationship with Renault/Nissan probably will have interesting results soon. After all Renault did bail out the Samsung cars, which were really re-badged Nissans anyway.

Joshua Dowling had his finger on the pulse of electric vehicles as far back as December 2014, he declared them DOA back then, he made that call a bit early, glad this blokes just a media hack and not a GP.

Electric car’s plug pulled in Australia

Looking back it was a train wreck of an article.

Actually I recall that article. It was the first one that I remember reading about Tesla and ended up buying one. Not sure if that was the intended effect the writer had at the time.

At the time I already had 3 phase power so that aspect didn't bother me. But have spent the best part of the past year recharging from a standard 10A socket without issue.

With regard to on-street parking:

I imagine that as EVs become more popular, there will be more and more demand (e.g. on councils) to try to come with solutions to these sorts of problems. To early yet however, the demand isn't there - and will initially have the circular problem in that people in this situation won't buy EVs so there won't be any demand.

True. There will come a day when there are on-street plug-ins. You'll plug in your car and swipe your credit card, or perhaps the car will send billing information to the meter. It's a chicken-and-egg thing. It will come slowly because you need demand before you get the meters, and meters before you get the demand. But slow is okay because the auto industry will take time to build up the capacity to meet demand.

It's like the specious claim that if everybody bought an EV today the grid would collapse. Everybody isn't buying an EV today. The industry couldn't supply that many EVs overnight, and people don't buy a new car until their old one no longer serves their needs, and acceptance of EVs is gradual. So the grid will grow slowly with the adoption of EVs.

The same will happen with on-street charging. When there are enough EVs (generally being charged at home) there will begin to be a demand for on-street charging when away from home. A few chargers will be installed, and that will allow a few people to buy EVs who don't have a garage, and the two will grow in step with each other.

But for the time being, you pretty much need a garage or at least a parking space right next to your house before an EV is a practical choice. And that's okay for the industry, because people with at-home charging capability are already a bigger market than the industry can supply.

There will come a day when there are on-street plug-ins.

I expect these to become less popular than the charging stations that the car will drive itself to, after having dropped its passengers off, and from where it will wait to be called on again.

I mean, why have all these empty, idle cars clog up a perfectly fine neighborhood?

Last edited:
There will come a day when there are on-street plug-ins.

I expect these to become less popular than the charging stations that the car will drive itself to, after having dropped its passengers off, and from where it will wait to be called on again.

I mean, why have all these empty, idle cars clog up a perfectly fine neighborhood?

Damn! You're right! Once the cars are autonomous, they can simply drive to a neighborhood charge spot, charge, and come home. They'll probably schedule the charging, also, so they don't have to wait there and the charging station won't need a lot of parking for the cars waiting in line.

That train wreck would put anyone of, $50,000 to install a 32A 3 phase charger!! $10,000 to hook up single phase!!!! That's nuts!! Single phase should not require anything to be done to almost every home. Most boards would have sufficient capacity to install.

Is was somewhat expensive at my place - due to to the wire between the meter box and the overhead to the house being to thin (antique standards). The fuse on the overhead might have been only 32 or 40 or 50 amps. So that cable had to be replaced. However in order to do that, the entire meter box (which was based on antiquated standards) had to be upgraded or AusNet would have refused to reconnect the power. So it cost $787 to wire the charger, plus $1,939.44 for the sparky and $727.36 for AusNet to come and disconnect and reconnect the power. Much less then $10,000 quoted by the above article, still somewhat impressive.