Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning to potential Model 3 Buyers in BC and Quebec, Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla website clearly states under the Model 3 that customers have 7 days to try out a Model 3, and if not happy with the product, return it if within 7 days and under something like 1,000km's. The fine print though notes that this policy excludes cars purchased through promotions or 'incentives'. In BC, Tesla takes the position that cars bought under BC's $5k rebate program available for cars under $77k, even though the rebate program allows dealers up to 15 days to process rebates after a sale takes place, which clearly makes provision for trial periods such as the one Tesla advertises. The rebate of course is not a dealer incentive, it's offered by a government agency. Tesla salesmen will probably not tell you about this when you purchase the vehicle, at least I was not told, and didn't find out until I attempted to return the vehicle after 6 days and was told that I could not return it for a refund.

I live in an area without dealers or ability to test drive the vehicle, and found that the standard battery on the 3 was not sufficient for my needs. I was relying on the 7 day policy accordingly.

Any Americans get caught in this little bit of deceptive advertising when trying to return their vehicle?

Too bad you weren't happy with the 3 and want to return it and were unable to. I would escalate it if you really want to return the car.

I am curious what kind of commute you have where a 354km range isn't enough.

It's 110km door to door each way, but a half hour of traffic each way adds more drain, and we usually have chores to do at lunch, so the extra capacity would allow us to travel down without have to recharge, which is what I was trying do (i.e. exchange for the larger battery capacity). Otherwise we are very happy with the vehicle. I have taken action outside of Tesla as they have clearly stated that it's tough luck. Hence my warning to other potential buyers out there.

• Informative
Reactions: joelliot
is what I was trying do (i.e. exchange for the larger battery capacity). Otherwise we are very happy with the vehicle.

Pretty idiotic of the OA and BC branch to not allow you to buy UP, and sell a higher margin vehicle. Let along the idea of helping build brand awareness in an otherwise remote part of their operation (based on your comment about not having dealer close by). Maybe tweet @tesla or Elon? Sorry to hear this, hope it works out.

Reactions: srredbeard
Not with the heat on.

You don't need to run HVAC full time. With seat heat full and cycling the heat on and off as needed, you should be under 180 Wh/km at +7ºC.

It's 110km door to door each way, but a half hour of traffic each way adds more drain, and we usually have chores to do at lunch, so the extra capacity would allow us to travel down without have to recharge

For driving from Ladysmith to YYJ airport/Buckley Bay (~110km each way), you have numerous options for charging. Supercharging at Uptown (southbound) or Nanaimo at Woodgrove (northbound), as well as destination/municipal chargers on both ends.

SR+ is doable, albeit with charging. Did you have a look at the appropriate homework prior to the purchase? The LR car would be absolutely no issues. The perfect island car.

I have initiated a formal complaint through Vehicle Safety Authority of BC based on what I perceive to be mis-leading advertising. The Powell St Manager in Vancouver is aware of the complaint, I have copied him on it, and he is "hoping that I am enjoying the vehicle despite not being able to return it." Can't directly quote him as they do not allow the 'reuse' of their emails apparently.

Thinking about CBC Marketplace too, but haven't gone their quite yet.

Curious to see if there are any others caught up in this, although the 7 day policy I understand is quite new, and is intended to allow phase out of dealerships. Not sure how well that's going to work out...

Rev-777, yup, agree completely, the LR would have been the better choice for us. Ladysmith-Victoria some days, and last week Ladysmith-Campbell River (180km each way) , of course with that one on a level 2 during the day, worked out fine. Don't think the LR would have made CR without charging during the day as I always seem to be 10-20% over the rated range most trips...

Were you looking to return or exchange for a long range model? I think it's a mistake on Tesla's part to not allow someone to upgrade within 7 days even with the fine print. Try contacting Tesla HQ or speak to someone else and see if they can make some exception.

Reactions: mswlogo and Gen3
The Tesla website clearly states under the Model 3 that customers have 7 days to try out a Model 3, and if not happy with the product, return it if within 7 days and under something like 1,000km's. The fine print though notes that this policy excludes cars purchased through promotions or 'incentives'. In BC, Tesla takes the position that cars bought under BC's $5k rebate program available for cars under $77k, even though the rebate program allows dealers up to 15 days to process rebates after a sale takes place, which clearly makes provision for trial periods such as the one Tesla advertises. The rebate of course is not a dealer incentive, it's offered by a government agency. Tesla salesmen will probably not tell you about this when you purchase the vehicle, at least I was not told, and didn't find out until I attempted to return the vehicle after 6 days and was told that I could not return it for a refund.

I live in an area without dealers or ability to test drive the vehicle, and found that the standard battery on the 3 was not sufficient for my needs. I was relying on the 7 day policy accordingly.

Any Americans get caught in this little bit of deceptive advertising when trying to return their vehicle?
So did you ask about your ability to do this before relying on it? Have you asked to upgrade to the LR?

I’m glad you found the forum in time to come post your complaint. If you would have found it sooner, maybe you would have seen that the range on the SR wouldn’t have worked.

And yes, I called customer service on day 6 (Nice lady in Toronto), she understood my concern and advised me to contact my "salesman", actually she said she would do that for me, but as I only had one day left on the 7 day period so I got a-hold of him right away by email (they don't answer the phone), and with no success, his supervisor. Same answer from both, they would be happy to offer me a trade in on a new model. Can you believe that after 6 days driving?

And yes, I called customer service on day 6 (Nice lady in Toronto), she understood my concern and advised me to contact my "salesman", actually she said she would do that for me, but as I only had one day left on the 7 day period so I got a-hold of him right away by email (they don't answer the phone), and with no success, his supervisor. Same answer from both, they would be happy to offer me a trade in on a new model. Can you believe that after 6 days driving?
I can believe that...it’s what every other car manufacturer would offer.

How does the $5k rebate work there? There must be something particular about it.

Reactions: UTMB and McFlurri

When they mentioned trade in on a new model, how much extra you have to pay (Is it just the difference between SR to LR?)

First thanks to the OP for the post. But I am concerned about this 110 km (so 220 km return if I understand correctly) commute not being possible on a car with 350 km of range. Am I missing something? This could be a game changer for me.

Even though cars are rated for the full range of the battery you typically don’t access all of it (regularly, you can in a pinch). You might say run the battery 20% to 90% that leaves 245 km (in daily practice). OP also said he wants to run errands at lunch and might get stuck in traffic (with heat running) and lives in cold country that can easily eat another 30% in the dead of Winter

Absolute no brainer a LR would make sense with that criteria and the OP should have done his home work and obviously didn’t.

As also mentioned if this was a test right from the get go I would have asked right before I signed on the dotted line. Returning a car is still a very big deal.

Reactions: McFlurri
sorry to hear. I was so frustrated with various customer service gaps that I threatened to return the vehicle within the 7 days and i was told that the 7 day warranty doesn't apply because of the BC incentive. I thought that was bullsh*t but in the end most of my issues were somewhat resolved. I still think that customer service sucks beyond one salesperson who was very helpful. I encourage you to put some serious pressure on, including through CBC Marketplace as Tesla needs to up its game in this department.

The policy actually states “Has not been the subject of any submission or application for any available incentives or perks“ so insist on reviewing the dated documents Tesla would have filed; if they did not do so by day 8 you should still be covered.